The player who left thread | Page 436 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Man plays for England, goes on holiday. A bit of press speculation and his home fans call him "dim" "a twat" and if he does something he can "fuck right off".

I don't think anyone is saying that mate, personally if he went to City in search of Trophies instead of staying a Villa in search of trophies.
I don't see the Holte End cheering his every touch as Man City demolish us at Villa Park and I'm pretty sure to rub it into us Pep would leave him on the bench.

Anyway Jack is going nowhere

Citeh: So are you selling us Grealish or what?

Villa: Nope

Citeh: Why are you wasting our time? We can't spend months on this. If we can't get the deal done in the next few days, we are off.

Villa: Toddle off then.

Citeh: This is just wasting valuable negotiating time.

Villa: We don't want to sell Grealish.

Citeh: This is ridiculous. We can't spend any more time on this.
Citeh: But we have rich owners and we have money to burn

Villa: We also have rich owners with money to burn.

Citeh: But you always sell your players to us when we ask to buy them

Villa: Not any more we don't

Citeh: But our owner will put up the price of petrol if you don't sell.

Villa: In which case our owners will buy a Tesla. Now just piss off.

My tuppence worth on this 'Grealish to City' stuff:

I (kind of) like him: he is clearly our best player at the moment, but I think he is a twat though for his off-field shit, especially during lockdown.

Personally, I don't actually think he will go to Manchester City. Whether he has a release clause in the 5-year contract he signed so recently, the ink is barely dry, I have no idea. But his love for Villa, and being appointed the captain, is well-documented and beyond question.

He strikes me as being (footballer stereotype) a little bit thick, but even he can't fail to see the potential here at the moment: year-on-year improvement, spending big, big money on the likes of Martinez, Watkins and this window Buendia. We could (and should) be on the cusp of something pretty special, and more importantly, sustained.

My claret-and-blue tinted specs make me think he'd be an utter idiot to leave right now. The squad is improving, the positivity around the club is there for all to see and the return of fans to Villa Park in that context will be something else.

But, if he does decide to leave, for "footballing reasons/winning trophies/working with Guardiola" or otherwise (ie a massive pay rise), the he can fuck right off. He and City would be welcome to their tawdry arrangement. He's hardly a Villa legend in my book (nowhere near in the same league as many of the players I have seen down B6 in my lifetime).

When I try and imagine how I might feel if he actually DID go, I can honestly, hand-on-heart, say that the sense of devastation I felt when Yorke, Barry or Milner were sold would outstrip any feelings/misgivings I might have if Grealish bails out.

As said, just my tuppence worth. If he stays, great, good on him and probably my respect and admiration for him would go up.I could really get behind that kind of loyalty and dedication to/belief in the NSWE 'project' But if he goes, he goes and he can fuck off.

No one is bigger than the club and I will still be there cheering the boys on, laughing at 'Prize Where It Lies', engaging in some dubious half-time chit-chats and 'enjoying' the agony and ecstasy of being an Aston Villa supporter.

Agree with some but not all.

Yes, no one is bigger than the club and the club and fans will go on. We will all still be there . I will though admit to being very very disappointed if he goes. More than any other player and more than such as the ones you mention. Milner ( great pro) but nah his leaving was very unsavoury for me. Wasn’t here long enough to justify the love in my humble . Jumped ship to quickly. Yorke , can’t argue the guy went on to get stellar success . Barry gave such brilliant service , never begrudged. But the club then was in a different place.

The difference with SJ (apart from his allegiances to us) is the message this sends out if he leaves. Nothing will come good of it. He is a one off, we cannot replace him despite the money we would get . We just won’t . He means more than just a great talent , he is the flag bearer of the new era and the new hope we have . If he goes it’s a big deflation of the balloon . Questions as to where we are going will be there. We may as well pack up and not bother becuase if we have that much ambition , that much money, big plans for the future , how are we going to achieve it if we have STILL a have to sell our big players. Are we going to cower and let Citeh come and get our players every time we have one that threatens to help us break through. Or if it isn’t the club cowering how are we ever going to stop our stellar players from wanting to move onto the so called ‘big boys’. The fact that you highlighted those players from that era and if SJ goes that way, it means we are still stuck in this bang average premier league club cycle that never progresses beyond a top 8.

This is about more than losing a great player for me. It’s sends an awful message I’m afraid. One the club might ultimately have no say in if SJ actually wants to move . But I keep being told we have great plans, great ambition , loads of money. Well losing a one off like SJ and replacing him with the best playmaker from the championship last season is a step backwards and this isn’t the dream I have been sold.

Would be great to see SJ buck the trend. Maybe my wise age but moving to Citeh is such an unambitious thing to do really. The easy option . Boring and cliched. Where is the challenge ?. Medals bought and playing 20 games a season and bit parts to actually get them .

Nah , the ambition will be to stay and strive to achieve with us and if he chooses the easy route I will be pretty disappointed and would struggle to welcome him back tbh because of where we have come from , where we could go. That is why it’s different to the likes of Yorke and Barry in my humble. The club now v then is supposedly different which makes it worse.

I believe he will be made an offer by our owners that not only match his footballing ability vis a vis the top players anywhere in the PL but will also reflect that je ne sais quoi that has attracted million of followers to him. Like Beckham before him he has mass appeal beyond the game which can add massive value to our club. To keep him here would also be a massive statement of intent. However, it’s a “now” world and his head might have been turned enough and if so, with these owners, we will still be a million miles ahead of situations when other big names have been sold. The attention to the youth coming through will see to that.

Yes it would be the hardest to take but unless you're Man City, Real Madrid or Barca these things happen. Man U sold Ronaldo. Liverpool sold Torres and Coutinho. Chelsea sold Hazard...

I’d accept it a lot more if it was to a foreign club, makes zero sense selling to a rival, and yes I would consider Man City a rival, perhaps not next season or the season after but definitely in Jacks playing career.

In 10 years time, when he retires, will there be a statue of him to stand for a 100 years, socks rolled down, scruffy hair, huge calfs, that villa fans pass on the way up the holte end stairs, long after we have all gone? Or will he go to City to come off the bench with 20 Mins to go every match and play all the cup games..... He tweeted MY CLUB when he signed his last contract I hope he means it and stays, I think we'll win something soon with our ever improving team UTV.

It really is quite simple, if there is a release clause in his contract and Man C reach it, he’s off. If there is no such clause then he will stay.

Everything else is just noise.

Last edited:
Yes it would be the hardest to take but unless you're Man City, Real Madrid or Barca these things happen. Man U sold Ronaldo. Liverpool sold Torres and Coutinho. Chelsea sold Hazard...
Yep happens to every club, even Barca lost Neymar against their wishes and their attempts to keep Messi have almost bankrupted them. Trouble is for us we’re not yet in a position to bring in anyone as good as him in and of course Grealish being “one of our own” just makes it a harder pill to swallow. I’m still holding out hope that he will stay, hopefully there is a pretty good plan B already prepared in case he doesn’t

Liam Bryan is joined by Birmingham Mail and Reach PLC's very own Mat Kendrick. The pair speak about the rise of Jack Grealish, the importance of the Englishman's loan to Notts County and how Grealish's marketability surpasses football. Also, Mat speaks about Grealish's comparison to Gascoigne and whether he will leave Aston Villa to join Manchester City this Summer.

Apple Podcasts 👉🏻https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...on-villa-podcast/id1533584929?i=1000530477932

Spotify 👉🏻https://open.spotify.com/episode/38zq03rYSTcTynf5QFCYoi?si=Fbc6xgcsQS2419Nx-ypQGA&dl_branch=1

The Oil people will make an offer and as with most negotiations when someone offers something and you want different from what they are proposing then you negotiate.

it's best to remain calm and calculated as they are trying to drag it out, use dirty tactics through leaks to the favoured journalist hacks, etc with the aim to wear the club down and accept what they have offered.

Patience is a virtue in these matters so at the moment, f**k them as we have what they want so let the mind games continue if we really want to keep him.

However, of course, it's not good for team morale and stability at Aston Villa because they know they have a far bigger and better squad than us and that's another reason why they will drag it out in an attempt to wear the club and our supporters down.

For a player who hates to be even subbed then it's something to seriously think about Jack as you most certainly won't start every game unlike if you remain at the Villa?

Last edited:
Agree with some but not all.

Yes, no one is bigger than the club and the club and fans will go on. We will all still be there . I will though admit to being very very disappointed if he goes. More than any other player and more than such as the ones you mention. Milner ( great pro) but nah his leaving was very unsavoury for me. Wasn’t here long enough to justify the love in my humble . Jumped ship to quickly. Yorke , can’t argue the guy went on to get stellar success . Barry gave such brilliant service , never begrudged. But the club then was in a different place.

The difference with SJ (apart from his allegiances to us) is the message this sends out if he leaves. Nothing will come good of it. He is a one off, we cannot replace him despite the money we would get . We just won’t . He means more than just a great talent , he is the flag bearer of the new era and the new hope we have . If he goes it’s a big deflation of the balloon . Questions as to where we are going will be there. We may as well pack up and not bother becuase if we have that much ambition , that much money, big plans for the future , how are we going to achieve it if we have STILL a have to sell our big players. Are we going to cower and let Citeh come and get our players every time we have one that threatens to help us break through. Or if it isn’t the club cowering how are we ever going to stop our stellar players from wanting to move onto the so called ‘big boys’. The fact that you highlighted those players from that era and if SJ goes that way, it means we are still stuck in this bang average premier league club cycle that never progresses beyond a top 8.

This is about more than losing a great player for me. It’s sends an awful message I’m afraid. One the club might ultimately have no say in if SJ actually wants to move . But I keep being told we have great plans, great ambition , loads of money. Well losing a one off like SJ and replacing him with the best playmaker from the championship last season is a step backwards and this isn’t the dream I have been sold.

Would be great to see SJ buck the trend. Maybe my wise age but moving to Citeh is such an unambitious thing to do really. The easy option . Boring and cliched. Where is the challenge ?. Medals bought and playing 20 games a season and bit parts to actually get them .

Nah , the ambition will be to stay and strive to achieve with us and if he chooses the easy route I will be pretty disappointed and would struggle to welcome him back tbh because of where we have come from , where we could go. That is why it’s different to the likes of Yorke and Barry in my humble. The club now v then is supposedly different which makes it worse.