The player who left thread | Page 377 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Had to take a second glance reading this....Thought two weeks ago it was nailed on that we were going to struggle next season, Dean Smith wasn’t good enough and we were basically on a slippery slope Sihill? What a difference two wins have made eh?! Liking the more optimistic tone...! :grinning:
The 2021 form was below mid table average. I was very pleased we ended the season with 2 excellent wins, without those wins we would of been rock bottom of the form table and going into a new season in relegation form. The performance at Crystal Palace was abysmal. I stand by all the criticism I have dished out and I praise when it's deserved. I am a little more confident about next season but we need 3 or 4 quality additions this summer to bolster the squad depth and the manager needs to reflect on the mistakes he's made this season and not repeat them.

Put it this way how much would it cost us to replace a Jack shaped whole in our team? There is no chance of us getting a like for like player quality wise so you would have to replace him with at least 2 or 3 top class players. That would be £160-200m. So if I'm the owners I would tell Jack that unless a bid of that magnitude comes in he will be staying with us and giving us one more year. If we don't make it into European contention then we won't stand in his way if a £100m bid comes in next year. This is obviously all dependent on any release clauses which are currently in play.

I'm sure Jack wants to celebrate and play football infront of a full house again. I dont think he'd leave without 'saying goodbye'.
That'll give us another season, and then it's up to Villa as a whole to match his expectations.

Put it this way how much would it cost us to replace a Jack shaped whole in our team? There is no chance of us getting a like for like player quality wise so you would have to replace him with at least 2 or 3 top class players. That would be £160-200m. So if I'm the owners I would tell Jack that unless a bid of that magnitude comes in he will be staying with us and giving us one more year. If we don't make it into European contention then we won't stand in his way if a £100m bid comes in next year. This is obviously all dependent on any release clauses which are currently in play.

Don't think the owners need say anything. Their line all along has been that they want him here at Villa, and they'll stick to that. Simple. If bids come in for him, if Jack is interested, they'll deal with it when the time arises. Expect the odd boost to his current contract though.

In the meantime, they'll keep him involved in what's happening at the club. HIS club. Should help. He won't get that to anything like the same degree elsewhere.

The 2021 form was below mid table average. I was very pleased we ended the season with 2 excellent wins, without those wins we would of been rock bottom of the form table and going into a new season in relegation form. The performance at Crystal Palace was abysmal. I stand by all the criticism I have dished out and I praise when it's deserved. I am a little more confident about next season but we need 3 or 4 quality additions this summer to bolster the squad depth and the manager needs to reflect on the mistakes he's made this season and not repeat them.
My belief - if we could replace Ross Barkley with a more consistent Ross Barkley at his best, we wouldn’t be far off. The hope is that Buendia meets that level and we strengthen the squad to cover for any potential injuries, offer options if form dips.

Last edited:
Looks to me like it's a long-term problem which needs managing. Has a number of implications. One is that it affects how he is seen by other clubs. Likewise he's at a club where he'll get the support and treatment he needs. So more likely he'll stay. Didn't think there was any immediate danger of him leaving anyway.

Strange statement as he said it wasn't, suggested a slightly different area, but same ultimate problem - was my reading of it?

But sitting on the bench he didn't look concerned, or in pain or even uncomfortable.

You won't believe this but these last two seasons Jack has only been awarded 3 penalties!!! The most fouled player/ diver in Europe whichever you think he is Just 3 penalties in 2 seasons. Does he obviously need to get in the box more?

Goes without saying, ignoring the fact penalty shouts don't go our way, if Jack pulled his tricks in the box we'd have at least 30 more penalty chances a year.

You won't believe this but these last two seasons Jack has only been awarded 3 penalties!!! The most fouled player/ diver in Europe whichever you think he is Just 3 penalties in 2 seasons. Does he obviously need to get in the box more?

He's only been booked for diving twice in hid career. Against the baggies in the cup quarter final which led to him getting sent off. That was rescinded. The other was the Palace away, Kevin friend stitch up.

He's only been booked for diving twice in hid career. Against the baggies in the cup quarter final which led to him getting sent off. That was rescinded. The other was the Palace away, Kevin friend stitch up.
Amazing all the fouls the refs give him but next to none in the box, Man Utd 11 pens Leicester 12 pens just this season