The player who left thread | Page 302 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

The Barkley and Grealish link up play is incredible. We need to keep finding players on Grealish's level and wavelength. He brings the best out of anyone.

I think Jack has players he "trusts" and will give them the ball knowing they won't lose it but they will take the move further. Others he doesn't trust as he knows the move will break down. That's why he tries to take on the whole team at times. The more players he trusts the better he will be and Villa will be.

I think Jack has upped his game (trying more stuff). The bamboozling of VVD and that jinking dribble (above). The Fulham goal, the passes to Matt and Taylor.

He is creating a hell of a youtube best of this season.

I think more players will break through the youth set up. We will sell those surplus to requirements when it suits us. The whole Lange thing is about "added value". Don't mind this approach but it will have its ups and downs. If we are successful, players values will increase and they will be offered lucrative contracts elsewhere. The key is to keep reinventing like Brentford - only at a higher level. I don't see us buying a Messi, Ronaldo or Mbappe, we will be aiming for the next incarnation, not the finished article.

Nearly scores a goal of the decade contender but other than that he was poor. Leeds had an incredible plan for him, did a proper number on him and he couldn't adapt. They stopped him playing and that stopped us doing anything meaningful going forward.

The link up play between Jack, John, Roscoe and ultimately Ollie was non-existent tonight. That was what ripped Liverpool apart. It's like they don't realise it.

The link up play between Jack, John, Roscoe and ultimately Ollie was non-existent tonight. That was what ripped Liverpool apart. It's like they don't realise it.
Grealish's decision making has been off the boil over the last two games. Against Leicester he was holding on to the ball too long at times and had a great chance to put Watkins in but chose to try and skin more players. Last night he was also taking the wrong option more often than usual.

He seems to be trying too hard to do things all by himself. It's interesting that this drop off has coincided with his England experience. Is he trying too much to prove he should be starting? If so it's going to backfire on him. Smith needs to put an arm around him and get him playing as he was before.

Jack needs to realise he’ll be remembered ultimately for his goals and assists. The highest number of dribbles, most fouled player, most touches are all academic. They all contribute to the game, but when it comes to the crux of a game where a decision had to be made and he has to weigh up the probabilities he will score or someone else, I want the right decision to be made.

I’ve long been a critic of jacks ability to know when to speed it up, when to slow it down, when to play it. When I watch the greatest players who reach the top of the game - and Iniesta is the player who comes to the front of my mind - I watched him play a very simple but effective game when it mattered.

Jack has better players around him now, he needs to trust them and use them.

All constructive criticism, to make him a better player.

Last edited:
If only he found the right finish after than amazing run through almost the entire Leeds time instead of slamming it into the keepers legs :bow:

If only he found the right finish after than amazing run through almost the entire Leeds time instead of slamming it into the keepers legs :bow:

I think it was blocked first and keeper hand an easy deflection, but would of been up there for goal of the decade.

Last edited:
Grealish's decision making has been off the boil over the last two games. Against Leicester he was holding on to the ball too long at times and had a great chance to put Watkins in but chose to try and skin more players. Last night he was also taking the wrong option more often than usual.

He seems to be trying too hard to do things all by himself. It's interesting that this drop off has coincided with his England experience. Is he trying too much to prove he should be starting? If so it's going to backfire on him. Smith needs to put an arm around him and get him playing as he was before.

We watched a different Jack versus Liverpool. Passing it quick. Trusting Roscoe, John and Ollie.
Then back from England -> Leicester/Leeds - back to the old keepball - worse actually. Is Dean tough enough to say something to him?
Hmmm

Great run, should have laid it off to Ollie, clearly a better goalscoring opportunity, we'd have still been waxing lyrical about the run, but there would have been an end product. He has to realise, as others have said, he doesn't have to do it all himself. A great run is meaningless without a great end product.