The player who left thread | Page 228 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Grealish likes a stat or two (the ones he was so fond of yesterday could have been better had he bothered much in the last 9/10 games).
Here's a few for him. Grealish is 2 months off his 25th birthday, yet this is the 1st season where he will have completed the majority of games. In all he has made 47 starts in the PL for Villa of which we have only won 10 of those games. These are hardly the stats of an iconic talisman, driving the team forwards. On his day he's a decent enough player, we just don't see enough of those days. I don't go with the theory that with better players in front of him, he will be better. No matter what team he joins there will always be better players elsewhere. His job is to play to his full potential and integrate with the players around him (whoever they may be) for the benefit of the club he's playing for. I don't see him doing this very much for the Villa currently. Prove me wrong Jack!

...In all he has made 47 starts in the PL for Villa of which we have only won 10 of those games. These are hardly the stats of an iconic talisman, driving the team forwards. On his day he's a decent enough player...

What on earth has that starts versus wins stat got to do with how good he is? There are 10 other players on the pitch and the manager involved as well.

On his day he's a decent enough player On his day he's brilliant.

Does he really have to win every game on his own for some to say how good he is? That's what it seems like. He is the ONLY threat in this whole team. Every single opposition team knows this. How hard is it to stick a couple of guys on Jack and not have to worry about the other 10. Not very.

Take him of this team and stick any other Premier league player in in his place and we'd have the same bloody problems.

Does he really have to win every game on his own for some to say how good he is? That's what it seems like. He is the ONLY threat in this whole team. Every single opposition team knows this. How hard is it to stick a couple of guys on Jack and not have to worry about the other 10. Not very.

Take him of this team and stick any other Premier league player in in his place and we'd have the same bloody problems.

I'm struggling here to find a reason to knock Jack as a player, as a lad he's right nob which is what I called him 228 pages ago.
As a footballer he's brilliant. Worth the season ticket money on his own

Just find it embarrassing he has been kept as our captain, what a shite example to the other players, what a shite example to fans and most especially, what a shite example to the kids.

Maybe says something about his character that he didn't step down, and the character of the manager as well. Neither are leaders.

Just find it embarrassing he has been kept as our captain, what a shite example to the other players, what a shite example to fans and most especially, what a shite example to the kids.

Maybe says something about his character that he didn't step down, and the character of the manager as well. Neither are leaders.
What says it all to me is after all of his antics he comes back and demonstrates almost no quality and leadership, the bloke is genuinely pathetic.

I said months ago making him captain was a big mistake and retaining him as our team captain after he embarrassed the club and fanbase with his stupid antics demonstrates just how flawed Dean Smith and Christian Purselows judgment are.

I bet some of our proper captains of the past have got plenty to say about him being captain and some of the old pro's would have truly sorted him and the other gutless players out.

Last edited:
The third goal today summed everything up for me..... 1. Never make an attacking player captain, because they cannot possibly lead by example when it comes to toughness and defending. 2. Jack Grealish did not want to get hit by the ball, so he made a token gesture and turned away. Embarrassing.

I wonder if Grealish tweeted Macguire after the game. Or maybe he called by fat Ross' gaff on the way home. Or maybe he had to do something with his hair...
It seems his priorities are elsewhere other than at the Villa.
Yes only Luiz can hold his head up after last night's game, but our so-called captain and most valuable asset (?) has gone missing from action (for quite some time, I would argue). He doesn't get a free pass from me because he's supposed to be one of our own or because he may play better if he's got better players around him. If he's not doing it for Villa then I don't give a sh-t about him.

From the match thread:

Sky presenter:

"And finally, I feel that I should ask this and honestly, if you don't feel like answering, don't, could this have been your last game in a Villa shirt at Villa Park?"

"Errmm, I'm not too sure at the moment. I have one aim, and that is to keep this club in the Premiership."

Also admits he hasn't been as fit and effective since the return. Wonder why?

Cheers JF, hadn't heard it. I wouldn't say that was declarative either way really.

Errr - take the question in.

Not too sure - he knows full well how FFP could change/force things after his experience last summer.

End of the sentence is spot on.

As for fit and effective - plenty haven't returned in great form. Not sure there has to be an ulterior motive - he's been putting in the effort, just in the wrong parts of the pitch.

There's not too many who've hit the ground running after the restart so it's not some big mystery is it.

Anyway we all know he's off if we go down. So he either lies or tells the truth and put a cloud over the last game.

If we stay up we need to keep him and to do that we need to show him we have ambitions that match his owm. That's up to the owners.

You just don't answer things like that really, but even with their millions, it surprises me the lack of media training they have. I'd have laughed that out of the (Villa) park personally, after such an important win.

But hey, not going to go into semantics over this, I would be surprised if he wasn't off.

As for fit and effective - plenty haven't returned in great form. Not sure there has to be an ulterior motive - he's been putting in the effort, just in the wrong parts of the pitch.

Plenty have. They are what one calls professionals.

Nothings changed.
Go down, he goes.
Stay up.We don't have to sell, we can charge an absolute exorbitant price . He will play for England with us
Will he force us into a move. Probably..
But if the board show him some real ambition.....