The player who left thread | Page 217 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

If they had a full squad that summer why was Levy bidding for Jack, as he was? That quote was made after the transfer window was closed. That's what "last summer" refers to.

I understand the quotes fully McParland, what I don't understand is ones I can't find anywhere and from a manager who I don't think would talk about another clubs player in that way.

What I am saying is Poch obviously was trying to deflect talk about Jack or any other links, not saying he would try to buy the player and 'shove' him in the reserves.

:shrug:

Really JPA, what on earth gives you right to make that sort of insulting remark?

When somebody says something on this forum, I don't take it as gospel, but equally I assume it was said with the right intentions, and I'll assume that the person saying it had grounds for saying it. I expect the same in return. It's entirely up to you whether you take it as gospel (as I said I wouldn't), but asking for evidence nearly 2 years after the event is a bit rich.
My apologies. Having read back what I posted, I meant to say "I also have no doubt (or evidence to the contrary) that your recall of what you noted is not somehow flawed or confused." As in, I am sure your recall is fine.

So forget about "Poch wouldn't say that about another club' player", or "Poch had a full squad" (at the time he didn't).
I think your beef is with JF on this - I have no idea what Pochettino did or didn't say (without any attribution) and I have no idea if Spurs' squad was full or not.

IF Poch was going to put Jack in the reserves , then I have changed my mind about wanting him to manage Villa. He clearly is no judge of a player.

Perhaps I worded it poorly. If Jack does go to another club particularly a top one then he's unlikely to jump straight into the first team, especially if it's at the end of the transfer window and after pre-season. I took it that Poch's comment reflected that, not that in any sense he thought Jack was just reserve team material, but because some preparation and assessment was needed. Which is normal.

My apologies. Having read back what I posted, I meant to say "I also have no doubt (or evidence to the contrary) that your recall of what you noted is not somehow flawed or confused." As in, I am sure your recall is fine.

I think your beef is with JF on this - I have no idea what Pochettino did or didn't say (without any attribution) and I have no idea if Spurs' squad was full or not.

Apology accepted.

In today's Times Graham Souness picks one outstanding player from each Premier League club. From Villa he chose SJM.
"McGinn is all-action, aggressive, puts his foot in and is good on the ball"
"Before his injury, he'd adapted to the Premier League and showed he could handle it."
This being the Jack thread, I'd add that Souness was of the opinion that Jack takes too many touches and that's why he is the most tackled player in the top flight.
I always regarded Sounes as a top midfielder, if a bit of a dirty bastard.
I'd think he might be a decent judge of a player.
Thoughts?

In today's Times Graham Souness picks one outstanding player from each Premier League club. From Villa he chose SJM.
"Before his injury, he'd adapted to the Premier League and showed he could handle it."
This being the Jack thread, I'd add that Souness was of the opinion that Jack takes too many touches and that's why he is the most tackled player in the top flight.
Thoughts?
Souness, like any manager, will prefer a "type" of player. Why would it surprise you that Souness would prefer an all action player who "puts his foot in"?

His side's were always workmanlike, but outside of Scotland, not very successful.

Thoughts?

Think he's spot on. Jack's "too many touches" is deliberate; he's drawing fouls. But it slows things down a bit. We need to be sharper at counter-attacking.

Souness, like any manager, will prefer a "type" of player. Why would it surprise you that Souness would prefer an all action player who "puts his foot in"?

His side's were always workmanlike, but outside of Scotland, not very successful.
I can’t disagree Merd but I wasn’t surprised by his comments. They seem like a fairly accurate assessment of the two players although it is also accurate to say that Jack does play in the way he does to draw fouls.
It works as well.

Thoughts?

Very similar to what Sir Dennis and myself talk about when it comes to Jack.

I'd pick McGinn over Jack for overall team contribution. Jack has the flash (Jumping Jack?!) though, some of the snippets are stunning.

Very similar to what Sir Dennis and myself talk about when it comes to Jack.

I'd pick McGinn over Jack for overall team contribution. Jack has the flash (Jumping Jack?!) though, some of the snippets are stunning.

Yes. I can see where the great Sir Dennis is coming from. After all McGinn is much in the Sir Dennis mould as a player.

Thoughts?

Probably why Souness is a football pundit and not a football manager any more.
I think there may be a Scottish bias here and SJM is more like Souness.
If we are talking skill Jack wipes the floor with SJM and Sourness was just a thug

Souness was a terrific player IMO but really only did anything as a manager at Rangers and Galatasaray. He hasn't been in management for 15 years and his punditry appears to boil down to 'in my day' type insights, he's one of those who just shows up rather than researching the current game.

Anyone who'd pick SJM over Jack is a lunatic, with all due respect. We all saw last season that Mcginn without Jack looked less of a player. Jack without Mcginn is much the same as with Mcginn.

Anyone who'd pick SJM over Jack is a lunatic, with all due respect. We all saw last season that Mcginn without Jack looked less of a player. Jack without Mcginn is much the same as with Mcginn.
Let's be real, McGinn has looked mid table at best this season and has missed a chunk of the season with injury.

Grealish on the other hand has consistently looked like a player who could play for a side in the top 4.

I dont think any Villa fans would pick SJM over Jack but there are occasions when he cant resist three touches when the killer ball looks on.
It would really improve his game if he could be coached to add the early pass to his box of tricks.

For our team, not for individual moments of brilliance, McGinn suits far more what we have available squad wise. I totally understand Souness's reasoning.

As said, Jack is the icing on the cake, but we don't have a very good cake.

Jack is head and shoulders the most skilled player we have, totally, but just as a pointer, we have lost games with him in the team, as we have also with McGinn in. We aren't very good and one player can't change that fact really.

I dont think any Villa fans would pick SJM over Jack but there are occasions when he cant resist three touches when the killer ball looks on.
It would really improve his game if he could be coached to add the early pass to his box of tricks.
Perhaps due to a lack of confidence in his team mates. If I wasn’t a villa fan I’d be fascinated to see how good he could become in a team with top class players around him.