The player who left thread | Page 216 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

I don't remember those quotes from Poch. Any links?

As for Jack, I guess only he and his agent knows what he wants to do. We await the summer transfer window to find out. Or await to see if we survive/go down.

I don't see players, who are fans of a club they play for, as mixing fan loyalty and career ambitions personally, and nor should they.

To them it's just a career. Even when they leave a club they support they still hold that affinity and return as a fan once their career ends. Some even support us whilst playing for other clubs eg. Albrighton and Bannan who have been seen mingling with our fans at games.

Agreed fulford

Searched re Pochettino, he played down the link saying they had a full squad and need to sell some before buying, so didn't want to talk about player speculation.

Jacks comments are different to how I remembered them

"The speculation was difficult to deal with because every young player wants to play at the top, especially when it's a team in the Champions League,"

"But when it didn't happen, it didn't bother me at all, because my dream as a kid was to play for Aston Villa and I would never ever take that for granted, so I got my head down and now hopefully I can get this club back to where it belongs."

I don't remember those quotes from Poch. Any links?

As for Jack, I guess only he and his agent knows what he wants to do. We await the summer transfer window to find out. Or await to see if we survive/go down.

I don't see players, who are fans of a club they play for, as mixing fan loyalty and career ambitions personally, and nor should they.

No links that far back. But it was summer 2018. I think Poch was asked about Grealish and said something along the lines of liked him thought he had potential, and then added a hypothetical if Spurs were to sign him he'd play him in the reserves to start with.

Who knows, Grealish might yet play for Poch. Without leaving :grinning:

Looked all over for those McParland sir.. can't find them. Just that he said his squad was full, no point talking about other players etc

To be fair to Pochettino, if he did say that, he would have been well within his rights. Grealish was nothing special compared with what Spurs already had at the time.

He has only really come into his own in the past 12-16 months I would suggest.

I think Spurs at that time wasn't short for players in that position, e.g. Ali, so there would be competition. So rather than sticking Jack straight in and dropping one of those, it made sense to shove him in the reserves to start with to get him used to things then see how things stood.

I think Spurs at that time wasn't short for players in that position, e.g. Ali, so there would be competition. So rather than sticking Jack straight in and dropping one of those, it made sense to shove him in the reserves to start with to get him used to things then see how things stood.
Didn’t they only offer a couple of mil plus Onomah at one point? Clearly were never serious. Spurs did however sign that Sessegnon who was excellent at Fulham, and has barely played for them since.

But the quotes, sorry to go on, but I did correct myself on my impression of what I thought Jack had said re moving to spurs. But the Poch ones. He was asked about his targets (not just Jack) and said he had a full squad. He wasn't saying he didn't want to make changes, but that he'd need to trim the squad to bring in new bodies. It doesn't mean Jack was to be bought and 'shoved in the reserves' it means he would only have been coming in if others were moving out.

Common sense really.

Poch, unless there are other quotes - and I did search pretty extensively but easy to miss things - was basically saying he didn't want to talk about targets or indeed, other clubs players.

Not the same as saying he wanted to spend millions to shove a talented player like Jack in the reserves.

Poch generally uses new signings sparsely I think, it seems he prefers to let them bed in for 6 months usually before being considered a proper first teamer.

Didn’t they only offer a couple of mil plus Onomah at one point? Clearly were never serious. Spurs did however sign that Sessegnon who was excellent at Fulham, and has barely played for them since.

3m and Onomah on loan for a season. An absolute piss take.

But the quotes, sorry to go on, but I did correct myself on my impression of what I thought Jack had said re moving to spurs. But the Poch ones. He was asked about his targets (not just Jack) and said he had a full squad. He wasn't saying he didn't want to make changes, but that he'd need to trim the squad to bring in new bodies. It doesn't mean Jack was to be bought and 'shoved in the reserves' it means he would only have been coming in if others were moving out.

Common sense really.

Poch, unless there are other quotes - and I did search pretty extensively but easy to miss things - was basically saying he didn't want to talk about targets or indeed, other clubs players.

Not the same as saying he wanted to spend millions to shove a talented player like Jack in the reserves.

Irrespective of whether the quotes can be found, they were said and I noted and remembered them. FACT :Fingers:

Poch not talking about targets was after that, when the next transfer window was looming, and he had a full squad.

For me, I don't think a manager of his calibre would talk about another clubs star player and say he'd shove him in the reserves.

If he had, he'd have blown any chance of the transfer and got absolutely slated.

What he said was reasonable.

These are widely reported

"Look, I think there were plenty of players linked with Tottenham, not only last summer but in the previous season. You know it's difficult to talk about rumours, about names. We'll see what happens in January. We have a full squad, we have 28 in the squad. It's impossible to sign players if we don't have the space."

That's not really how facts work, McP.

The unverifiable, faded memory of what someone may or may not have said 2 years ago, with no links or other proof of exactly what was said, does not make something a 'FACT'.

It is a FACT that I noted and remembered them. Have you any evidence to the contrary?

For me, I don't think a manager of his calibre would talk about another clubs star player and say he'd shove him in the reserves.

If he had, he'd have blown any chance of the transfer and got absolutely slated.

What he said was reasonable.

These are widely reported

"Look, I think there were plenty of players linked with Tottenham, not only last summer but in the previous season. You know it's difficult to talk about rumours, about names. We'll see what happens in January. We have a full squad, we have 28 in the squad. It's impossible to sign players if we don't have the space."

If they had a full squad that summer why was Levy bidding for Jack, as he was? That quote was made after the transfer window was closed. That's what "last summer" refers to.

It is a FACT that I noted and remembered them. Have you any evidence to the contrary?
Putting the word 'fact' in capital letters really does not make it a fact.

I have no doubt (or evidence to the contrary, because that would be a bit weird) that you noted something and I also have no doubt (or evidence to the contrary) that your recall of what you noted is somehow flawed or confused.

But if you can't produce any evidence of what was said, then please forgive me (or anyone else on this forum) for not taking it as gospel.

I have no doubt (or evidence to the contrary, because that would be a bit weird) that you noted something and I also have no doubt (or evidence to the contrary) that your recall of what you noted is somehow flawed or confused.

But if you can't produce any evidence of what was said, then please forgive me (or anyone else on this forum) for not taking it as gospel.

FACT

Really JPA, what on earth gives you right to make that sort of insulting remark?

When somebody says something on this forum, I don't take it as gospel, but equally I assume it was said with the right intentions, and I'll assume that the person saying it had grounds for saying it. I expect the same in return. It's entirely up to you whether you take it as gospel (as I said I wouldn't), but asking for evidence nearly 2 years after the event is a bit rich.

If you look at it logically, if Poch signed Jack what was he going to do. Very unlikely he'd drop anybody straight away. So shoving him in the reserves initially would be a very sensible thing to do, to allow him to get used to new training methods and so on, while Poch looks at what he's got. It's what a lot of managers would do. And it's what would be discussed with the player before signing.

In a situation where it's in the public domain that Spurs have made an offer for Jack, if Poch is asked who's he going to drop for him, what's he going to say? Something along the lines of what I've indicated. I don't know if Poch was asked that, but I do know what he said.

So forget about "Poch wouldn't say that about another club' player", or "Poch had a full squad" (at the time he didn't). In fact, after 2 years it doesn't really matter. If you don't want to accept it fair enough. But don't try flawed or confused recall with me.