The player who left thread | Page 215 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

We are in the bottom three and have been awful all season, we are a very very average team, he's been in the team most of the season.

Not saying he isn't our best player, he clearly is, but ....
And rarely shows up in the really big matches.

Good player, some way to go to realise his potential.

I think Grealish is a talented player , is he any better than say Ward Prowse or Maddison or many others in the prem . Not sure yet , would he look better in a better team ? Probably , would he get into the Man U first team , not sure yet, think he'd be on the bench

Those two have talent, but they're playing in reasonably good teams. I think Grealish is the most creative. He can provide a spark on his own. I think he influences matches even when he's not playing 100%.

That's his own fault, not right to 'punish' Villa for his own stupidity.

Thing is, wherever he goes, he'll get dogs abuse, as will the other lockdown breaking turds, unless people have short memories. Don't think football fans have short memories though, people like the pantomine villains in sports arenas don't they?!
By fresh start I mean for us and him. I dont think we are being punished, its just the way it is.
I believe all things have their natural time span and I feel this one is coming to a close.

And rarely shows up in the really big matches.

Good player, some way to go to realise his potential.

Which will make it fascinating if he does go to a 'top' team. Will he be amongst the best, or find himself a little fish in a big pond? We've had a few leave and sink without a trace, genuinely interested how he does.

As you know, I agree re the big games, especially Wembley appearances (Liverpool semi an exception).

Clearly our best, but here he can as good as do what he wants. When he's amongst equal or better quality he won't be able to. Have no idea which way it would go for him.

By fresh start I mean for us and him. I dont think we are being punished, its just the way it is.
I believe all things have their natural time span and I feel this one is coming to a close.

Yes, good point, sort of got what you were saying I think...! lol...

If we stay up , massive if obviously, I think he would stay. Wether that should be beneficial to his career I don't know. This summer transfer window will have a very different shape to anything seen before

If a bigger club came in for him, you think he'd still want to stay?

Don't think so personally.

We don't know obviously. But his head was turned by Spurs, depends who comes in I guess. He talked about he could have been in the CL and playing for England with reference to Spurs if you remember.

We don't know obviously. But his head was turned by Spurs, depends who comes in I guess. He talked about he could have been in the CL and playing for England with reference to Spurs if you remember.

The only counterpoint is he also talked about having to accept that his sale was in the clubs best interest, and once he accepted that, then his head was turned by Spurs because of CL etc...and in turn, when we didn't have to sell, he screwed his head back on after a period of time.

I also take SJH's point, but he could've been delighted the move didn't come off - but it doesn't mean having wondered about 'what if' it wouldn't nag at you for a bit.

It's a fine line admittedly, but needing to accept he was off before he allowed his head to be turned is different from having your head turned, so to speak.

The only counterpoint is he also talked about having to accept that his sale was in the clubs best interest, and once he accepted that, then his head was turned by Spurs because of CL etc...and in turn, when we didn't have to sell, he screwed his head back on after a period of time.

I also take SJH's point, but he could've been delighted the move didn't come off - but it doesn't mean having wondered about 'what if' it wouldn't nag at you for a bit.

It's a fine line admittedly, but needing to accept he was off before he allowed his head to be turned is different from having your head turned, so to speak.

Yeah, fair point, he was probably already living in London in his head and then everything changes, it's going to take a bit of time to forget about it. He certainly didn't throw his toys out of the pram or anything, he loves the club too much for that.

I still see him leaving however, and I can't really blame him because a career is short and there's only so much he can give to Villa without being shown some ambition from the club.

Yup, as said, a very fine line but one worth airing. In many ways, I'm actually of a mind whereas 4 months ago he may have been open to an extra year (either push on with survival OR help get us back), the current lull will leave players thinking differently when it comes to truly setting themselves up for life - having something to show for it.

With Spurs, he was told by our then management that he'd have to leave to save the club. And, understandably, after letting it sink in, he came around to the idea.

Situation is now different, but nobody knows what the situation actually is. Reckon it depends on how things look before the start of next season.

He'd be playing for England if we were still in the Premier league. He was a dead cert for the next squad. Lets not forget that when his head was "turned" we were in the championship and it was known by all that we needed to sell the family silver just to survive. The club had no prospects and no money. Obviously the new owners saved us but if you've been close to moving to a side who are in the champions league then you're facing a season in the championship then its going to affect you, which he admitted. He's not a robot.

I've always believed that if Villa remain in the Premier league he'll stay. As for England he's so good Southgate simply can't ignore him if he carries on like he has most of the season. If we go down then he'll go but at least we'll get a hefty fee. Hopefully spent a bit better than last summers money.

Poch said that if he'd signed him he'd have put him in the reserves for the first few weeks. It's not walk straight into the first team. Think the same would apply with any of the top teams. How patient would he be?

I don't remember those quotes from Poch. Any links?

As for Jack, I guess only he and his agent knows what he wants to do. We await the summer transfer window to find out. Or await to see if we survive/go down.

I don't see players, who are fans of a club they play for, as mixing fan loyalty and career ambitions personally, and nor should they.