The player who left thread | Page 178 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Jack talking to Dele Alli at the end with both hiding their mouths from the cameras. You can just imagine the conversation.
Sadly, we are about to witness the last few games of Jack in a Villa shirt and it does not matter what they offer him in terms of enhanced payments, he cannot afford to play for us any longer as he is risking his career every week by carrying fucking useless team mates.

I feel like he’s playing for a move now, he was the best outfield player on the pitch today a good margin. I genuinely think that his motivation as much as I want to believe he’s here til his dieing day to save us from relegation for the next decade... he isn’t.

He’s quite literally the standout player most weeks, whatever the result and whoever we’re playing. I’ve never seen anything like it, and he’s got so much better since last season, he’s matured a lot in 18 months. Most of my constructive criticisms are nearly ironed out of his game.

A bit more work to do on his final decision making and becoming more of a threat from set pieces would be the icing on the cake and make him world class.

I feel like he’s playing for a move now, he was the best outfield player on the pitch today a good margin. I genuinely think that his motivation as much as I want to believe he’s here til his dieing day to save us from relegation for the next decade... he isn’t.

Feel that way if you like. What is "playing for a move"? How differently would he play if he didn't have a move in sight.

Don't think it's that contrived. I reckon he just goes out to play the best he can. He gets a buzz from it, it's what he is (like other top professionals), and he's improving his game as fast as he can.

And he'll be playing in Europe next season. With us :grinning:

He was brilliant again today but think his final decision making in the box was flawed. Needs to be more selfish sometimes , if he shoots and works the keeper anything can happen, cutting balls back if they go wrong the attack is over .

I think the writing is on the wall now regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season.
If we stay up it just means that we will get a bigger fee than if we are relegated.
Lots of money for Suso to waste again.

Feel that way if you like. What is "playing for a move"? How differently would he play if he didn't have a move in sight.

Don't think it's that contrived. I reckon he just goes out to play the best he can. He gets a buzz from it, it's what he is (like other top professionals), and he's improving his game as fast as he can.

And he'll be playing in Europe next season. With us :grinning:

Sounds a bit sinister, I don’t mean it quite that literally. As much as he’ll want to survive because being captain of a relegated side isn’t one for the CV and of course he’s one of us, there’s an understandable element for me that he wants to be the best player on the pitch for his own good too.

As I keep saying, those who think he’s staying I love your optimism. I’m trying not to be disappointed

Last edited:
Reality is yes he will be off and for well over £100m . He's too good for us and even if we stay up he can't hang around any longer for us to get up to even mid table PL level.
All we can do is get max money in and spend it well . Over to you Suso .
Oh FFS !

It’s reality, the lad will have his head turned and we won’t and shouldn’t stop him.
This team already needs a major rebuild and we will need significant funds to do it.

Could someone turn your head from being a Villan if you were on several million a year for 5 years regardless, not it wouldn't

Could someone turn your head from being a Villan if you were on several million a year for 5 years regardless, not it wouldn't

He will always be a villan but that won’t stop him from leaving imo. He will imagine himself playing in front of massive crowds on a bigger stage and that will turn his head.
If we can ever offer him that it will be too many years in the future.

If we stay up I think he'll stay. Partly because the owners won't want to hang around. There'll be serious investment in the summer if we stay up; this isn't the team to get us where they want us to be. I think he can be convinced; him being a Villa fan and captain of Villa on it's own isn't enough, but it will help.

Once he gets in the England team the tapping up will begin in earnest. I hope he stays if we stay up. Realistically, if we drop, he's gone and it will be up to the club to screw the maximum amount for him.

He will always be a villan but that won’t stop him from leaving imo. He will imagine himself playing in front of massive crowds on a bigger stage and that will turn his head.
If we can ever offer him that it will be too many years in the future.

How do you know what his dream is, ie is it not playing in front of the Holte end packed to the rafters where his public worship him or is it really in front of the Stretford bowl where they will groan every time he loses a ball or they aren't winning the league.

Nothing about Jack's attitude or behaviour suggests to me he is angling for a move. He will go if we go down (I'd be half tempted to follow him to be honest hahaha) but I don't think he will try to force a move if we stay up. Theres also literally no amount of money that will tempt us to sell either, he's priceless to us in the same way Zaha has been for Palace.

I think the only way he would go if we stay up would be if Chelsea offered us a huge amount of money plus Drinkwater and Barkley or Mount. We would have to get players in return for him.

Nothing about Jack's attitude or behaviour suggests to me he is angling for a move. He will go if we go down (I'd be half tempted to follow him to be honest hahaha) but I don't think he will try to force a move if we stay up. Theres also literally no amount of money that will tempt us to sell either, he's priceless to us in the same way Zaha has been for Palace.

I think the only way he would go if we stay up would be if Chelsea offered us a huge amount of money plus Drinkwater and Barkley or Mount. We would have to get players in return for him.
I have to disagree re the no amount of money comment.
Everyone has their price and there will come a time, possibly in the next few months when a Dutch auction will start, probably in the summer and once the band wagon starts to roll its very difficult to stop.
We have very wealthy owners but because of FFP they cannot spend their money, and a huge offer for Jack would prove very tempting indeed to start the rebuild, which has to come wherever we are plying our trade next season.

Personally I think if he does go in summer even if we stay up we can thank the media (tv, newspapers, radio shows like 5 Live and Talkshite, football pundits like Savage and others who used to play the game, etc for publicly trying to flog him on our behalf since last summer. Every day all I read is "Grealish to Man Utd, Man Utd to offer Villa £70m £80m"and so on. It's "Grealish has to join a big 6 club if he wants to play for England"... Sick of hearing it. I hope with all my heart he does stay and we build a team around him that can compete at the top end of the table. Players like Jack, McGinn, Mings should be the foundation we use to create a Villa team to make us great again, not selling to the highest bidder or caving in to media pressure like Hull City did over Bowen. He was happy to stay at Hull but media just wouldn't shut up about it and in the end he went to Wet Spam for £20m. If the owners are serious about this club being a challenger for honours then we need to hang on to our best and show them that this club is about to fly again with buying quality players and not throwing money away on players not good enough for this level of football.

If Southgate finally him puts in the England team, he will play him under orders, he will not have the role he has at Villa and he will be made to look ordinary.

He does need to go which is absolutely gutting.
If we’d spent better in the summer & cemented a place in this league we could of built a team around him to really challenge in the future.