The player who left thread | Page 131 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Must admit I don't get the hype surrounding Pep Southgate , just another copy cat manager trying to walk it out from the back. As soon as we get one of the big boys they will rip us to bits.
I think Jack would light up that pedestrian team but I really don't want him anywhere near that money grabbing mercenaries until we are back in the top flight.

Concentrate on what really matters Jack your family and the club that loves you and you love . The Grass is not greener and your time will come in the finals

I have to say, that perhaps I should hold my hands up a little. I’ve just seen the full quote. I was listening to radio where they were discussing his comments but actually reading his quotes it doesn’t sound as bad.

Still disagree completely with him comparing the Hudson Odoi situation to grealish’s, but he didn’t expressely say he would never pick someone from the championship. He also said “But as an ex-Villa man I hope it’s not too long before we do see it.”

Feel I’ve been a bit guilty of reading click bate and by full quotes. Still disagree with him but don’t feel quite as strongly .

Ho hum.

Large majority of the opposition England play are bloody farmers & labourers. Why would Jack need to prove himself against the likes of Burnley, Cardiff, Fulham etc to show that he can cut it against the mighty Montenegro?

They didn't look convincing at all against Montenegro, hardly world class, too many sloppy and misplaced passes and Montenegro looked a threat pretty much throught the game, they won't be pipping good opposition 5-1's and 5 nils

I'd be over the moon.

Not sure non-Villa Irish fans would be though. Problem is, international football is the be all and end all (as well as playing in the Champions League) for young players so from what Southgate has said unless he's playing with a Premier League badge on his sleeve it's a no go. So it doesn't matter if it's Huddersfield or Man City?

Stupid thing to say, and detrimental to young Championship players.
Spot on. We should remember that ugo (in retrospect a Villa hero) left us to join Boro as did the new villan, Gareth Southgate. He left for much the same reason with Doug stifling any hope of rejoining the elite clubs. However,l agree that Southgate is a hypocrite with his double standards of choosing the new Chelsea boy wonder whilst Jack is deemed not pickable though any fool can see he is a special talent

The fact we rave so much after beating farmers with a population of 600k where half the nation can’t afford football boots to play the game is embarrassing.

It looks very difficult to get knocked out of the Euros in the group stages, but the First Nation we come up against with more than 4million people we’ll go out.

Last edited:
When England start beating the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France regularly at tournaments then I will be impressed. Until then for me, as the saying goes, the jury is out on this apparent good run of performances. We are flat track bullies.

Beating Montenegro etc is all very well but it's no different to villa beating much lower league opposition regularly. Wouldn't be impressed with that either .

Last edited:
When England start beating the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France regularly at tournaments then I will be impressed. Until then, as the saying goes, the jury is out in this apparent good run of performances. We are flat track bullies.

Beating Montenegro etc is all very well but it's no different to villa beating much lower league opposition regularly. Wouldn't be impressed with that either .
We once beat Yeovil 1-0

When England start beating the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France regularly at tournaments then I will be impressed. Until then for me, as the saying goes, the jury is out on this apparent good run of performances. We are flat track bullies.

And we generally don’t to be honest ?

I can easily see Jack playing for England at some future date but not yet. Gareth won’t want to distract Jack from the task in hand to get us into the PL.
Tammy has compared Jack to Hazard but I see more of a likeness to Gascoigne in his jinking runs and the way he holds the ball. Either way, if he works hard he has a great future.