The History Thread | Vital Football

The History Thread

thefacehead

Vital Football Hero
Wonderful subject that we can learn so much from, bores some, enthralls others.

Has anyone got any favourite periods of history that they like reading or studying about?

Any facts or interesting details that can be shared?

I watched a superb documentary about Genghis Khan the other day, I had no idea of his intention to march through Europe, the thought is terrifying (or would have been if you were European at the time anyway) and he would probably succeeded, such was there sheer ruthless nature.

Any military history for me always amazes and fascinates me the bravery shown in such terrifying and awful situations.

I love History . I used to know the dates of all the monarchs reigns but sadly I probably could only go back to Queen Victoria now.

I'm quite a history person too. I like the civil war period, the world wars and Cold War.

gator - 20/8/2014 19:16

Barney2004 - 20/8/2014 18:59

Love the WW1 & WW2 history. Amazes me at how brave those men were.
Yeah fantastic mate unbeleivable bravery.

Amazes me that 15 year old boys lying about their age... Being away from their parents without proper contact. Amazing men.

Bit different now where there's Skype, email etc. these guys back then were literally on their own.

thefacehead - 20/8/2014 18:35

Wonderful subject that we can learn so much from, bores some, enthralls others.

Has anyone got any favourite periods of history that they like reading or studying about?

Any facts or interesting details that can be shared?

I watched a superb documentary about Genghis Khan the other day, I had no idea of his intention to march through Europe, the thought is terrifying (or would have been if you were European at the time anyway) and he would probably succeeded, such was there sheer ruthless nature.

Khan's son made it all the way to Hungary and had plans to go on to France, the only thing that stopped him was political matters back home but he actually took Budapest.

I luv the WW2 documentries as above amaze me when we look at how fanny our generations am compared to them hero's, also i watch a lot of doc's about the ancient Sumerian Egyptian Mayan etc and about how civilisation and society started off, amazing stuff.

Trekker - 20/8/2014 19:32

I'm quite a history person too. I like the civil war period, the world wars and Cold War.

Suppose the civil war takes you back to your childhood mate, nice to reminisce isn't it?

Used to love reading a book I had about the Vikings when I was a kid. Plus the Romans fascinated me.

Also did Russian political history which was great, especially as it was during glasnost and perestroika so history was in the making.

The Egyptian times, Greek Mythology and WW2. Some extreme times in their. That's me. Extreme

Edited cos how the heck could I forget to put in their Biblical times, in other words the geographical (not the rest) history of the areas where they are etc. in The Bible

Guys go and get Dan Carlins Hardcore History podcast on itunes...

You will not be disappointed I guarantee you will not!

Thought so, found a pic of Trekker back in the day doing his thing