High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 8 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

All we see in the news is another retailer or restaurant chain in trouble. Even ASOS, probably the most successful online fashion retailer had a recent profit warning so I think there a signs consumer spending is slowing down and with Brexit uncertainty it wouldn’t be a surprise to see business investment grinding to a hold or in some cases large scale movement of jobs abroad. On top of that there are global trade concerns all over the place especially China / Asia. JLR are cutting 5000 jobs in the new year because of all of these issues and I’m sure other companies will follow

I actually bought quite a few shares in ASOS the other week after they crashed around the £22 mark, Ive always kicked myself for not buying shares in them before they took off after seeing an article on them and the stock seems to go through cyclical booms and busts anyway so I’m confident they’ll bounce back one day - they’ve built a sustainable profitable business online, it’s not like a bricks and mortar company trying to break online. A tech company with a PE currently of around 22 is unusual.

And yes, business investment risk is huge. It’s already being cut, along with companies looking to streamline with the Brexit excuse whether it is impacting or not (but who can blame the execs). It’s the sort of thing you won’t feel until 2-3 years down the line.

I wonder how the car finance industry copes? One of my mates is an estate agent in London (Brexit supporting!) and he’s feeling it, the market is dead. Whether people are holding off I don’t know, but why take on more debt without knowing what’s going to happen in less than 4 months (which is the crazy situation we are in).

Last edited:
Well that's Poundland gone in York. Friends daughter just did her last shift on Friday

When those sorts of shops can't make money during tough times, you really know there are problems for the high street.

Druckers

https://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/latest-on-popular-druckers-cafe-closing-down/

Spoke to a lady mom/me have known for years who worked in Redditch. She got a call at 7am the other day, after 23 years there, saying the store had closed.

There is a Patisserie Valerie concession in the Kingfisher Shopping Centre’s Debenhams store that has also closed

The Kingfisher has loads of closed shops. M&S being the biggest loss (I don't like them but a lot are missing them and not coming to the Kingfisher now). A clothes shop called Blue... err, something also closed a double unit. Loads are going. Looks like they are really struggling to attract anything new or different up there.

I see that scumbag Mike Ashley is now trying to but Patisserie Valerie from the administrators having failed to get HMV last week. Greedy fat bastard. I sometimes used to buy a croque Monsieur in Druckers (part of the PV group) but won't anymore if that's ****** becomes owner.

"sir" Phillip Green , what an odious scumbag. Now confirmed as a sexual predator and racist . I hope he gets stripped of that knighthood. ****

I’m not sure I understand the Ashley approach with all these acquisitions. There’s hardly a huge synergy across the different companies - it’s not like he buys two companies who sell the same thing, meaning that if they’re double the size he gets the same goods for a cheaper price given he’s buying a bit more. Also, he’s hardly on side with the government after not turning up to one trial, so lobbying the lawmakers isn’t going to yield too many returns.

He has to manage loads of businesses - some losing money - they need they’re own offices and marketing as they are quite different.

No doubt his power over the landlords increases with the amount of businesses he now owns but is that worth the hassle? Unless the real estate value is worth what he is paying for the businesses given the low share price.

Perhaps it’s a cyclical thing and these companies are cheap but in a decade may have double in value through if he can just keep them alive.