High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 11 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

We could’ve told you not to pet the lions.

That’s the evolution for me, the niche experiences will be where the money is at for income rich millennials of the future looking for tailored safari trips, amazon rainforest for tours of Asia or South America. Kids aren’t going to Zante in their droves as much these (apparently) - they don’t know what they’re missing ?

Yes, going to need to be added value, spend time, treat customers as important people, not as numbers who are rushed in and rushed out. The ones that survive will be providing an experience.

I can't stand Bon Marche clothing shop. The only time I ever went in it was when Mom was alive and she wanted to buy from it. Over 50's shop it maybe, but it isn't for me. I have no desire to look like the main stream and my Mom.

I stick with Joe Browns and the boho shops. I'm sorry for the staff though, it doesn't surprise me

Marks and Sparks had shocking results yesterday Dividend per share 3.9p 6.5p -40.0 It seems even former fts 100's are now struggling, Sainsburies announce their figures today for the last 6 months. After a year of uncertainty for many staff, managers having to apply for their own jobs after a restructure and lots of staff leaving after given the choice of change contract or fuck off...... it will be interesting to see the net result of all the upset.

Morrisons must be up soon too...

Debenhams, a 'light touch' administration is how they are explaining it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52182199

Debenhams will file for administration after the coronavirus lockdown forced it to shut its shops across the UK.

It described the process as a "light touch" administration to protect it from legal action from creditors while its department stores are closed.

Debenhams boss Stefaan Vansteenkiste said the circumstances of the decision were "unprecedented".

Seema Laura Ashley is heading into admin too. There will be more in the next year or so with the fallout from Corona

Women's fashion retailers Oasis and Warehouse are expected to appoint administrators soon, putting about 2,300 jobs at risk.

The owner of the High Street brands, Icelandic bank Kaupthing, had been in talks to sell the businesses before the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52285231

ah right, yes, thought I had heard something actually, either we've talked about it before or was my brother telling me.

Yes mate, it was going even before the lockdown. I think the lease was expiring or something.

They are turning it into a hotel, because there are not enough hotels in Stratford already.

At least the jobs are coming back in a form.

In fairness to Ashley, he soldiered on a long time with Debenhams. Stuck in the mid 90’s, need to move with the times. These traditional bricks and mortar companies just can’t get online right and profitable, they have terrible websites.

Agree Dan. When they first came to Redditch, as the flagship store in the newly renovated Kingfisher, there was always something I could get there. But the prices went up, the quality didn't, and their brands and me became quite far apart. And then if you want a pair of 501's for instance, as much as I would like to support 'high street' shops, I know I can get them online £15- 20 cheaper. It would be ridiculous not to take the saving.

They really aren't keeping up, and things that they could excel in, homeware etc, they seem to be cutting back on.

These places really do need added value to survive, hair salon for the ladies, proper barbers for the gents (oh shut up you cheeky gits, I know they would be no use to me!), all in the section they sell perfumes, make-up, aftershaves and so on.

For me, there really isn't much of a reason to go out to buy pretty much anything these days, it is quicker and easier online. If I could help prop up local shops, I'd love to, but even then, a shop in Stratford have a Doug Hyde (artist) vase that I liked, but a quick search online and they were (from memory) about £25 less online. Sadly, it becomes a no brainer doesn't it?

At least the jobs are coming back in a form.

Yes, but the trouble is the people who would fill those jobs have been made to feel unwelcome in this darn country and many have packed their bags and left. Will the British fill the vacancies? I know a few establishments who have lost those darn foreigners who were going to kill us all in our sleep or something, and are having a nightmare job trying to replace them.

Surely all fashion brands age out?

They hit a demographic at a time in their lives when they are buying that kind of clothes but the demographic gets older and the younger ones don't want to shop in the same place as the age group ahead of them.

I honestly have not been into a department store in years.
Food apart, and even that has changed now due to the virus, everything is purchased on line.
I know Amazon has its critics for various reasons , but as a consumer, cant beat it.
Most things are next day delivered, and returns are not the problem they once were.