The Guardian on Mr. Scally | Vital Football

The Guardian on Mr. Scally

So much to like here: jokerman linking a Guardian article, Scally the main feature of a Guardian article, Scally the good guy in said story and probably enjoying almost universal support from fans. To be serious our man is right on the money here and the timing is good too.

He’s absolutely right. How can clubs in L1 be crying poverty when they are paying vast sums to agents?

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think Scally was referring to clubs in our division. He said it was the Premier League clubs crying poverty when asked by League 1 and 2 clubs to help bail them out.

Agree with him wholeheartedly.

Wouldn’t take much tweaking to the rules to state that players, not clubs, should pay the agent.

In a lot of instances that would make zero difference (player just asks for more money). But in many cases, if a player wants to get a better agent, he’s the one that’s going to have to fund that out of the wage said agent negotiates for his client. And it would hopefully put a stop to agents requiring or requesting, thousands or millions up front for themselves.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think Scally was referring to clubs in our division. He said it was the Premier League clubs crying poverty when asked by League 1 and 2 clubs to help bail them out.
Yes I remember him saying Premier League Chairman had told him they couldn’t afford whatever rescue package the L1 and L2 clubs had requested, what they got in the end was far less than what was asked for.

Whatever your views on the Chairman he has absolutely nailed it here, there's nothing to disagree with.
Why's he got time to provide quotes to the guardian, when he hasnt yet worked out whats happening with season tickets? He hasnt even built up the nerve to tell us we're not getting our money back yet. Many will accept this but he hasnt even addressed it at all. He arrogantly tells us he cant possibly prioritise resolving the ST situation, or communicate with fans because he's busy saving the club, keeping it running in these tough times. Yet he has the time to provide responses/quotes to the guardian on a fairly irrelevant matter. Maybe he does have time for things that massage his ego a bit.

Last edited:
Why's he got time to provide quotes to the guardian, when he hasnt yet worked out whats happening with season tickets? He hasnt even built up the nerve to tell us we're not getting our money back yet. Many will accept this but he hasnt even addressed it at all. He arrogantly tells us he cant possibly prioritise resolving the ST situation, or communicate with fans because he's busy saving the club, keeping it running in these tough times. Yet he has the time to provide responses/quotes to the guardian on a fairly irrelevant manner. Maybe he does have time for things that massage his ego a bit.
Forget the season tickets, what about the self-serve taps in the Factory?!

Scally is spot on here. I do wonder if the net result is that we end up pay a slightly higher wage to incorporate the agent's fee, but the prinicipal is a good one to set.

The Guardian's sports articles are of a very high standard when it keeps its political slant out of sport.

Why's he got time to provide quotes to the guardian, when he hasnt yet worked out whats happening with season tickets? He hasnt even built up the nerve to tell us we're not getting our money back yet. Many will accept this but he hasnt even addressed it at all. He arrogantly tells us he cant possibly prioritise resolving the ST situation, or communicate with fans because he's busy saving the club, keeping it running in these tough times. Yet he has the time to provide responses/quotes to the guardian on a fairly irrelevant matter. Maybe he does have time for things that massage his ego a bit.
They are two separate matters. Surely someone is allowed to do more than one thing. Ok, we could do with the season ticket matter being sorted out but who knows when we can get a proper income stream in again. Can a definitive judgement be made yet on that issue?

Give the guy a break. We all know his weaknesses. For once he's done something uniquely positive. Obviously he's going to milk it and tbh I don't blame him.

No, this doesn't make me a "Scally lover".

They are two separate matters. Surely someone is allowed to do more than one thing. Ok, we could do with the season ticket matter being sorted out but who knows when we can get a proper income stream in again. Can a definitive judgement be made yet on that issue?

Give the guy a break. We all know his weaknesses. For once he's done something uniquely positive. Obviously he's going to milk it and tbh I don't blame him.

No, this doesn't make me a "Scally lover".

They are two separate matters, however the point is, that in one of his letters earlier this season he made a point of stating that one of the reasons he's not had time to address fans properly in regards to the ST situation is that he's busy keeping the club afloat.

He seems to have all of a sudden found the time out from his busy schedule of keeping the club afloat to respond to a fairly irrelevant article, yet he still hasn't found time to address something that's damn important to fans.

You might conclude that actually he's not that busy and that he's lying. It doesn't feel like he's that busy if he's got time to respond to these kinds of articles and it's a bit of an insult to fans that he's focusing on silly ego massaging articles rather when they are waiting for him to address what should be one of the biggest priorities at the club.

They are two separate matters, however the point is, that in one of his letters earlier this season he made a point of stating that one of the reasons he's not had time to address fans properly in regards to the ST situation is that he's busy keeping the club afloat.

He seems to have all of a sudden found the time out from his busy schedule of keeping the club afloat to respond to a fairly irrelevant article, yet he still hasn't found time to address something that's damn important to fans.

You might conclude that actually he's not that busy and that he's lying. It doesn't feel like he's that busy if he's got time to respond to these kinds of articles and it's a bit of an insult to fans that he's focusing on silly ego massaging articles rather when they are waiting for him to address what should be one of the biggest priorities at the club.

Careful, AK, he might ban you! ;)

Exactly how much time do think it took to respond to that interview? Half an hour? An hour? Gets the club some positive, free national coverage, still gets knocked...

I agree.

AK is usually pretty reasonable - and if he’s losing patience then it doesn’t bode well for Scally.

Exactly how much time do think it took to respond to that interview? Half an hour? An hour? Gets the club some positive, free national coverage, still gets knocked...
Likewise, how long would it take to update us on the ST situation. Does he realise he doesnt always need to write 14 page diatribes (yeah i know, rich coming from me).