The great Rustons testimonial mystery? | Vital Football

The great Rustons testimonial mystery?

89spartans_12/03/77

Vital Squad Member
As a youngster, must have been 73/74/75. The RoseSpa boys went down to Rustons to watch a game. Probably a testimonial. Probably for Bert linnicor?
However I haven’t got a scoobies what or who it was for for definite.
I do remember though that Peter lorimer and terry yorath were sat at a table signing autographs.
I also remember the game. Terry Hennessy, wales international, Ian storey Moore, forest soon to go to Man Utd.
There were others but the fuddle of time and memory are nobbling me.
Can anyone help me out?

I think they did it a couple of years on the trot as I remember Reaney or Madeley there also. Think it was part of the ruston gas turbines family day or similar.

Cheers Desmo, I just tagged along with my Leeds supporting mates (all Lincoln as well) there were a load of other stars playing. Wingfield of forest. Trevor hockey from sheff Utd?
Never knew what it was for. There must have been one or two City players as well.

Can you imagine equivalent premier league stars of today turning up to play a similar game

Must have been a big company thing in the 70's. Conoco oil refinery near Immingham had Ray Clemence in goal for penalties at a 'community' day when he was the current England keeper! Fair play to him he did a couple of hours over two spells. He must have been knackered and wished he was still putting up deckchairs on Skeggy beach.

Must have been a big company thing in the 70's. Conoco oil refinery near Immingham had Ray Clemence in goal for penalties at a 'community' day when he was the current England keeper! Fair play to him he did a couple of hours over two spells. He must have been knackered and wished he was still putting up deckchairs on Skeggy beach.
I remember Coventry goalkeeper Bill Glazier doing something very similar when we lived in Leamington around 1970. I can't imagine today's top flight goalkeepers doing anything like that now. Glazier leaned against the post between penalty takers smoking his pipe. He lived in Sleaford for a while after he retired from playing.

There were two games to raise funds for the Sunday League Benevolent Fund. Here's the programme cover from the 1973 gameGatehouse 73.jpg

Here's the Gatehouse line up. Nottingham All Stars squad included Colin Murphy who was the Forest reserve team trainer at the time, but not sure that he played.

Attachments

• Teams.jpg
    Teams.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 50
I was there in 1974. A gala day at Rustons Sports ground on Newark Road. I've just dug out the programme, which is very tatty. I've got Peter Lorimer and a young Terry Yorath's autograph. Terry Yorath replaced Paul Reaney at short notice, the programme still says Paul Reaney. Leeds Utd were the League Champions in 1974. Can you imagine the current league champions allowing 2 of it's first team players to come along and play a charity game nowadays. I've attached the front and back of the programme which I'm sure will be of interest to see who was playing.

Attachments

• IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 52
I was there in 1974. A gala day at Rustons Sports ground on Newark Road. I've just dug out the programme, which is very tatty. I've got Peter Lorimer and a young Terry Yorath's autograph. Terry Yorath replaced Paul Reaney at short notice, the programme still says Paul Reaney. Leeds Utd were the League Champions in 1974. Can you imagine the current league champions allowing 2 of it's first team players to come along and play a charity game nowadays. I've attached the front and back of the programme which I'm sure will be of interest to see who was playing.
I can only read Reaney & Lorimer, which for some reason are about 10 times the size of the other players !

Some amazing responses there thanks chaps. I never knew Paul reaney was meant to be there? The first black player to play for England. Amazing the sort of event that happened back then. Players, thoughmpaid a bit better. Were just ordinary working class lads from basically the same place as those living in Lincoln.
I played football with Dave Smith. He encapsulates this spirit. Working class, ordinary bloke, no false airs and graces with a room full of trainers or a garage full of Ferrari’s. And wearing a bra?
One thing. I can’t for the life of me see the names of the Notts team. Too small for me... helppppp

Some amazing responses there thanks chaps. I never knew Paul reaney was meant to be there? The first black player to play for England. Amazing the sort of event that happened back then. Players, thoughmpaid a bit better. Were just ordinary working class lads from basically the same place as those living in Lincoln.
I played football with Dave Smith. He encapsulates this spirit. Working class, ordinary bloke, no false airs and graces with a room full of trainers or a garage full of Ferrari’s. And wearing a bra?
One thing. I can’t for the life of me see the names of the Notts team. Too small for me... helppppp

Reaney works at Potters Leisure Resort, in Norfolk, running football courses for children in the school holidays. He has been doing that for years now. A really nice bloke, very outgoing and very popular with everyone down there.

i've just uploaded a larger file of the teamsheet, so hopefully will be clearer to read. I can't do any larger as site wont allow me to upload larger than this one.

Attachments

• IMG_3182-4.JPG
    IMG_3182-4.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 20
i've just uploaded a larger file of the teamsheet, so hopefully will be clearer to read. I can't do any larger as site wont allow me to upload larger than this one.
Cheers Croozey, still hard for a brass monkey like me but I can make out ex Millwall player Colin Murphy? Struggling with a few others.
Great stuff though. Amazing what memories can bring out.

Have you tried compressing the photo? It needs to be reduced in size - there is a setting on most photo editors that makes it suitable for web pages. Then you can upload it either as a thumbnail or full size.