The Great Resignation | Vital Football

The Great Resignation

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
I have a theory about The Great Resignation that I'm hoping to test here. The official line is that lots of people lost their jobs in the pandemic and found ways of making money online. Free of bosses and offices, these liberated people will never return to their old jobs and so we have a shortfall in the labour market.

I think that's a lovely story promoted by tech evangelists but it's fundamentally false. The jobs that were available to people through the internet were shitty jobs like delivering food and driving Uber.

I suspect that the shortfall in the labour market is being caused by 2 years of no immigration and older people taking early retirement. The biggest labour crunch in the world is happening in the US where Trump built a wall to keep immigrants who want to work out of the job market.

I don't know of anyone who has been liberated from work by the pandemic. I know of quite a few who had their wages cut and probably more people who started working from home and are hoping to keep it that way.

So what is your experience of The Great Resignation? Have you told your boss to do one and used the internet to work for yourself as the story goes or was your experience different? Have your working circumstances changed due to the pandemic and if so, how?

I basically went from working from home 3 days a week to 5 days a week and I haven’t gone back to the old pattern.

I thought about leaving but it felt too risky to leave a job with tenure of employment and private health care benefits.

If anything the pandemic has made me less career focused, I’m now more happy to just pick up the money and do a decent job rather than try too hard. I did also learn web development during the pandemic and have plans to start making sites for people on the side to create a bit more income.

I resign from doing anything above and beyond.
When I was in education I busted a ball for 15 years going above and beyond. Where did that get me? Well it contributed to me being very poorly and what did I get after 13 years of service at one school?
Just an acceptance letter of my resignation. While other people floated about doing the bare minimum with their medical records in tact.
I will (or should I say) I have to work around 70 hours a week when I'm UK. But during those 70 hours will include little naps in unused offices and lots of avoiding anything work related.
So I resign from hard work if that helps.

Couple of other theories to blend into what you’re saying BB is that those not far off retirement retired early plus COVID definitely took a few workers off the market too.

I believe unemployment is at record lows again. I think most people are sick of the bullshit. I read somewhere recently that some people who got reduced down to one paycheck got used to it and it stayed that way too.

I think it’s a huge amount of different things but I agree it seems like not enough new people to take jobs. My current experience is my company is taking the piss and gave us shitty raises (below inflation) so now I am ready to move. M

Another theory is that lots of job listings are actually fake and this is a consequence of the PPP loans.

My eldest hated working from home to begin with. Now he has changed company and works on a contract of remote going into the office once every 6-8 weeks in London. Travel paid for.

He gets London wages too. He would never go back to office base. He is not a peoples person and doesn't tolerate fools gladly.

Mind you he has moved to a company that he is happy with. The co-workers are all well picked and are on his wavelength. I'm waiting for the grumble there is nothing to grumble about 😏

The company look after there staff and knows how to keep them. There turn over is very low.

Not a great resignation as such. Great resignation from the office as the staff work from home 99% of the time

Couple of other theories to blend into what you’re saying BB is that those not far off retirement retired early plus COVID definitely took a few workers off the market too.

I believe unemployment is at record lows again. I think most people are sick of the bullshit. I read somewhere recently that some people who got reduced down to one paycheck got used to it and it stayed that way too.

I think it’s a huge amount of different things but I agree it seems like not enough new people to take jobs. My current experience is my company is taking the piss and gave us shitty raises (below inflation) so now I am ready to move. M

Another theory is that lots of job listings are actually fake and this is a consequence of the PPP loans.

I hadn't thought of those killed by Covid. I guess most of them weren't in the labour market but some of them must have been.

I've been retired for 5 years now. My wife and I did however volunteer in various places for 3 days a week. When covid hit everything stopped. We were forced to evaluate. We found that some of the things we did were out of duty rather than necessity or enjoyment. This can be said about your attitude towards workplace matters. Chasing promotion, favour and obligation. The great covid reset made us step off the hamster wheel for a time and see things from a different perspective.
No one has ever said on their deathbed they wish they spent more time at work!