The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

DTs quite often correct, though.

Whilst his article and suggestions are quite speculative, you could argue some Forest fans would predict the exact same situation - Cash, Worrall and Watson choosing to leave.

If selling cash generates us some money to go and get 5/6 players in key positions and stops us having to cut everywhere else, then so be it to be honest.

Didn’t we have £100m set aside for the new stand - assume that’s now gone.

Whilst his article and suggestions are quite speculative, you could argue some Forest fans would predict the exact same situation - Cash, Worrall and Watson choosing to leave.

Tbh it looked totally speculative- sure there might be interest but none of those players walk into a prem team. Wonder if they want to go warm a bench somewhere than have a leading role. Couldn't see the point of them moving to another championship team. Can only see them leaving for oliver burke level money.

Imo its the midfield that needs the most work so watson can go if he wants.

I think Everton might be more likely for Cash than West Ham, who actually had preferred RB targets.

Lolley will go to Villa if they go down, or I could see a team like Norwich taking him

Worrall may not get a move. He is promising and has been superb at times; but it has been far from perfect and I don't think it is a done deal that he is ready for the PL. But Burnley may still want him.

Watson can go. He has served us brilliantly this season, but he is out of contract and if he wants to go to London I wouldn't stand in his way. Colback lives here, possibly wants to be here and is an easy signing if he is willing to sign for what we can afford to pay.

Ameobi needs to be an option next season, not an automatic starter. That goes for Silva as well.

We desperately need a set piece taker. We haven't had one for years. I want to get a free kick and actually sit up at the prospect that we might score it. It makes the difference in tight games.

I would stick with Ribiero. He is youngish. He has struggled against real quality, but has been superb most of the time.

We need to look at teams coming down and third choice players at PL clubs. Classic point here is Rob Earnshaw. We signed him for a bargain price from Derby coming down. He couldn't cut it up there but was superb at this level, and letting him go was idiocy from them. There are other players like that, and some of those we might be able to afford.

Who are the top scorers in L1? Toney is one, who else?

Lazy journalism imo. Nothing in there that hasn‘t been discussed on here already.

Re: Carvalho, I reckon we should offload him and try and get as much as we can to fund new additions. Talented as he may be, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s special enough to build a team around. Ironically, he might be better suited to the EPL rather than the rigours of the Championship but we have to get there first.

There will be plenty of negative articles to write and these tend to garner the biggest reaction/interest and whether he's a fan or not, that's his job!

Carvalho - easy target/story.... clearly Sabri has decided that JC wasn't up for the fight, shame because he's the kind of technician that needs to have a team built around him, but that didn't fit Sabri's style/formation.

Watson's next move/contract will be his last, he's 35 and prior to Sabri's arrival, most were happy for him to be offloaded last season.

Watson wants a 2 year deal, he is on good money at Forest, given that we signed him from an EPL club and his family still live down south.

Personally, I wish him well but would rather we looked at other options - McGuane is a dcm, we still have Sow, Yates and at worst give Bostock a contract.

Colback is available too, but there will be competition to sign him - although, his family still live in the midlands!

I very much doubt Worrall would be a starter for an EPL club, so - I'm less concerned that he'd be inclined to move - unless, it's daft money and with Covid-19, I doubt many have that much to spend.

Cash & Lolley, both subject to long term contracts and whilst I'd prefer that we don't sell them - it would take some decent offers to make it worthwhile.

Lazy journalism imo. Nothing in there that hasn‘t been discussed on here already.

Re: Carvalho, I reckon we should offload him and try and get as much as we can to fund new additions. Talented as he may be, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s special enough to build a team around. Ironically, he might be better suited to the EPL rather than the rigours of the Championship but we have to get there first.
Congratulations on this summer's first accusation of "lazy journalism".

I give you extra points for saying it about an opinion rather than fact based piece

I have seen little from Carvalho to suggest either the money spent was well spent or could be in the future. If we can get £8m to £10m For him, great. We need a big CF who can hold the ball up and score 15+ a season. Experienced in championship and not cost silly money. Top of my list would be Wickham. Not playing for Palace, on loan and contract has one year 2021. 10 years experience in championship and premiership.

Big CD other priority. Media talking about Dickie, but he is just over 6 ft. Need a 6 ft 4 and above.

Still need a creative midfield general.

Congratulations on this summer's first accusation of "lazy journalism".

I give you extra points for saying it about an opinion rather than fact based piece

To be fair, I think Taylor, Daniel suggests he has info to back up his claims. He says, “I’ve been told...”

Of course that could be someone with an agenda, or a nobody, but DT, sort of, quotes an unnamed source.

I don't think that article tells us much we did not already know.

They speculate that Carvalho has a bad attitude which has resulted in his omission from the squad; I'm sure most people had guessed something like that was behind him being left out.

There is the transfer speculation which has been around for a good while and the speculation about Lamouchi's future, which was an obvious result of Wednesday evening.

I would guess that the Taylors had been rushed into the article by the editorial team at the Athletic; the article comes across as rushed, very little new news, and no time to gauge how Thursdays meeting went.

I'm sure the pair of them will come up with more enlightening articles in the coming days.

As for the future, I just do not see any difference; the consensus has been that players would leave if we stay in this division and that may well be the case.

If any of those players are ones we wish to keep we know that they will not be leaving for anything less than top dollar.

I do not subscribe to the theory that there will be wholesale exits; at the very worst I would expect no more than Carvalho plus one other to go, and, if we spend the proceeds wisely, which is a very big if, we can end up in a stronger position.

Players come and go all of the time; its nothing to get upset about.

I don't think that article tells us much we did not already know.

They speculate that Carvalho has a bad attitude which has resulted in his omission from the squad; I'm sure most people had guessed something like that was behind him being left out.

There is the transfer speculation which has been around for a good while and the speculation about Lamouchi's future, which was an obvious result of Wednesday evening.

I would guess that the Taylors had been rushed into the article by the editorial team at the Athletic; the article comes across as rushed, very little new news, and no time to gauge how Thursdays meeting went.

I'm sure the pair of them will come up with more enlightening articles in the coming days.

As for the future, I just do not see any difference; the consensus has been that players would leave if we stay in this division and that may well be the case.

If any of those players are ones we wish to keep we know that they will not be leaving for anything less than top dollar.

I do not subscribe to the theory that there will be wholesale exits; at the very worst I would expect no more than Carvalho plus one other to go, and, if we spend the proceeds wisely, which is a very big if, we can end up in a stronger position.

Players come and go all of the time; its nothing to get upset about.
I actually hope there are whole sale exits. So long as the players leaving are predominantly those we want to leave and also provided we have some decent players incoming or promoted from the academy if they are ready.

I have seen little from Carvalho to suggest either the money spent was well spent or could be in the future. If we can get £8m to £10m For him, great. We need a big CF who can hold the ball up and score 15+ a season. Experienced in championship and not cost silly money. Top of my list would be Wickham. Not playing for Palace, on loan and contract has one year 2021. 10 years experience in championship and premiership.

Big CD other priority. Media talking about Dickie, but he is just over 6 ft. Need a 6 ft 4 and above.

Still need a creative midfield general.

There are two interesting points to come from the article; one is the appraisal of out transfer activity and secondly there was Lamouchi's appraisal of the mental strength of the squad.

The Taylor's did not sugar coat their feelings on our recruitment, particularly the failure of the January window.

They mentioned two players in particular; Grosicki and Freeman, both of whom turned down the chance to play for us.

Whatever the reasons were for both of them to decline our advances you can be sure that Lamouchi had little to do with them.

The last paragraph of the article quotes Lamouchi talking about the mental strength of the group “My nature is that I am an optimist. I know the atmosphere that has been around but what am I to do? I can understand what has happened here over many, many years but I was not here before… We need to change the mentality. But to change the mentality in a short space of time is not easy.”

And therein lies the problem; easy to identify, not quite so easy to fix.

I actually hope there are whole sale exits. So long as the players leaving are predominantly those we want to leave and also provided we have some decent players incoming or promoted from the academy if they are ready.

We desperately need some leadership in the team.

You can have all of the talent in the World but it will never be enough if you do not have the mental fortitude to close games out and resist being bullied.

We need an uncompromising Centre Back who will regiment those around him at the back.

We need a central midfield player who can play 10 yards further up the pitch then Watson does and who can keep recycling possession and stamp out any danger, and is not afraid to get into players faces and get a response when we are under the cosh.

If it means selling Cash or Worrall or Lolley to get those players, fucking do it.

But I suppose every Club in the Country is after those kind of players, and we cannot force them to come