The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Page 70 | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

Freeman, Robinson, Colback , Taylor

for effectively nothing would be incredible business. All very experienced in the champ and all very good. If we have to sacrifice Cash and make £5 then we've strengthened A LOT

I expect Taylor82 to be negative about this but he's the kind of guy who who would moan if he got given a pet snake AND a full vivarium for his birthday

its better, but is it good business? Only if they play.
if watsons gone then jacks good business, if taylor plays its good business, but if theyre here to improve the bench then its debateable

Last edited:
Grabbans the single most valuable player Forest have. He might not command the highest transfer fee but he's the only we absolutely cannot afford to lose.

Well we certainly cannot go into next season with that being the case.

What happens if he gets injured and misses a significant part of the season?

Well we certainly cannot go into next season with that being the case.

What happens if he gets injured and misses a significant part of the season?
Absolutely my point. It's why we can't afford to lose him, and need desperately to add to him. I can't see Forest signing two decent strikers in a transfer window, when we've only managed to sign two decent strikers in the last 10 years -Earnshaw and Grabban.

For those (like me) wanting Lyle Taylor's side of the Charlton strike story, it is here.

I think I will take the option that he offers; I understand why he did it even though I really, really don't like it.

There is something about him I can't help but like though. Maybe it's his candour and honestly. He comes across as a bit of a laugh to be honest.

His Twitter is very active politically, and not really on the side of the political spectrum that I agree with, not that that matters.

He comes across as a thoughtful, intelligent guy, but IMO he should have kept playing for them and if he did they would probably still be in the Championship and if I was a Charlton fan, regardless of whatever he did for them, I would struggle to offer him the 'acceptance' he is looking for despite the mitigating circumstances.

I also see him wearing the captain's armband in some of the clips, although I don't know if he is their first choice captain. This makes his decision all the more unforgivable.

Grabban, Taylor, and Costa isn't bad at all. Much better than Grabban, Walker, Costa.
Need another winger and Freeman in. Sell Adomah, Pants, Carv, Walker, Watson (leave) Hefe, Clough, and if we could get shot of Bong and Darikwa that would be heaven. Would Blackett in as a cover at LB though

Grabban, Taylor, and Costa isn't bad at all. Much better than Grabban, Walker, Costa.
Need another winger and Freeman in. Sell Adomah, Pants, Carv, Walker, Watson (leave) Hefe, Clough, and if we could get shot of Bong and Darikwa that would be heaven. Would Blackett in as a cover at LB though

Blackett is a poor player.

Well I would certainly agree with your first paragraph but not the second.

I once read an article on football, it could have been in 4 4 2, and creativity was one of the discussion points; creativity was described in the article as the “invention of something new which adds value”

My immediate reaction to that was “well that is total rubbish” and I am still of that view point today; creativity is evident in each and every game played to one extent or another; the imagination, originality and uniqueness needed to invent something new is only evident at the very highest levels, and then very rarely.

What you describe in your first paragraph, I would describe as spatial awareness; the ability to find time on the ball, the ability to find space both for yourself and your team mates, the ability to recognise what is happening around you and to act accordingly – you do not need to be in possession of the ball to be creative.

This for me is the bed rock, the foundations for all creative play; whether it manifests itself in the pass and move game, or you have a player spraying passes around, or you play with two quick wingers, the same principles apply.

You describe defence as a reactive position; whilst defending can be reactive, particularly if the side is put under pressure from a mistake or good play from the opposition, I certainly do not think that all defending is reactive.

Teams that press and force the opposition into areas where they can deal with any potential threat more comfortably employ proactive defending; so defending can be both proactive and reactive.

Our perceived lack of creativity is exaggerated by having a dearth of attacking options; we played the entire season with one player who displayed sufficient attacking nous, this despite being isolated for large parts of games, both home and away.

The two players who should have been providing attacking support to Grabban did not show the slightest inclination of wanting to get into positions in advance of him, even less so of getting into scoring positions inside the box.

This makes the job of defending against our attack relatively simple, and it will remain so until the situation is rectified; the knock on effect stunts our build up play.

We have players who can and want to play forward balls, the problem is, when they look up to make the pass, there are no options available and end up making a sideways or backwards pass.

When there are no forward passing options the side does not move forward as a unit and gets stretched giving the opposition plenty of space to play in.

Watsons lack of mobility did not help matters even though he played consistently well; at least the signing of Colback will allow us to defend ten yards further up the pitch.

I think that's a really interesting post and one i can't help but largely agree with.

A beloved and much missed thread called Player Ratings was I believe the first to highlight the press the team and Grabban in particular were utilising. Despite that and an awareness of lots of strategic options open to a defence (when and where to press, which space to give, which players to target etc etc) you're right part of me does still fundamentally see football as a game where:

If you have the ball your job is to do something to the opposition.

If the opposition has the ball your job is to stop them.

It is indeed far more complex than a simple action/reaction scenario and my thinking was flawed.

I also am an 80s kid which means I grew up in the church of Nigel Clough where I worshiped the quickness of his thought and deed and if I'm honest largely took for granted the quality of the movement around him. Only by it's absence have i realised that in and of itself it was an art form.

Fundamentally though, creativity is destructive and you're absolutely correct to point out that it applies as much to defending as attacking.

In which case by creativity I mean I want us to sign the next Nigel Clough, who creates space for himself and others no matter how much pressure he is under, and while we are at it I want a team who instinctively find space, and not just any space but those little pockets that really hurt a defence for Nigel the 2nd to find.

I think that's a really interesting post and one i can't help but largely agree with.

A beloved and much missed thread called Player Ratings was I believe the first to highlight the press the team and Grabban in particular were utilising. Despite that and an awareness of lots of strategic options open to a defence (when and where to press, which space to give, which players to target etc etc) you're right part of me does still fundamentally see football as a game where:

If you have the ball your job is to do something to the opposition.

If the opposition has the ball your job is to stop them.

It is indeed far more complex than a simple action/reaction scenario and my thinking was flawed.

I also am an 80s kid which means I grew up in the church of Nigel Clough where I worshiped the quickness of his thought and deed and if I'm honest largely took for granted the quality of the movement around him. Only by it's absence have i realised that in and of itself it was an art form.

Fundamentally though, creativity is destructive and you're absolutely correct to point out that it applies as much to defending as attacking.

In which case by creativity I mean I want us to sign the next Nigel Clough, who creates space for himself and others no matter how much pressure he is under, and while we are at it I want a team who instinctively find space, and not just any space but those little pockets that really hurt a defence for Nigel the 2nd to find.
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be...

I loved the Forest sides of the 80s. Such a joy to watch even when we weren’t the best team in the division. So many players that you would pay to watch and feel privileged for the exchange.

Closest we have come since was the Frank Clark side and that didn’t last anywhere near long enough...