The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Page 46 | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

I've got similar feelings to Mao about Burke, I've pretty much seen every game he'd played for us and was staggered by what we got from RB.

Yes, he had incredible potential - but, you have to have the right application and attitude to realise that.

Olly was electric at times, but at others he was disinterested and the fact that he has not pushed on, despite being coached by some fantastic managers says something about his ability to adapt, learn and progress.

He's fantastically wealthy, he can opt to sit out his contract and be loaned out again or let WBA pay him up, either way his wage (signed for £15m as an EPL player) is beyond our capability.

It will depend on what Olly is guided to do by his advisors and his own appetite, because at present, he's starting to become a journeyman!

back when we started seeing burke my folks told me he was 'too' arrogant and didnt think hed make it, or he'd make it elsewhere and i mentioned that here.

I thought he was Gareth Bale esque to be honest, ability wise. But seems obvious that something's amiss. No progress in 3 years at that age isn't good. He's loaded too, does he even have the incentive? too risky

oh, i seem to have just totally repeated OKD :D

Fotis Ioannidis one of Modestos nuggets apparently, more likely than taylor or toney then
To be honest Paz he does look a player when viewing the 10 minute video on him online.Powerful,good in the air and a good dribbler.....admittedly the opposition does not look great but based on the footage he would be worth a gamble for a small fee.

To be honest Paz he does look a player when viewing the 10 minute video on him online.Powerful,good in the air and a good dribbler.....admittedly the opposition does not look great but based on the footage he would be worth a gamble for a small fee.

lol fook me, the last 100 signings look good in clips for ten mins against 3rd rate opposition. All meaningless. watch modesto spend millions on that level. if we do, seriously, that would fe fooked up. again

You certainly have an obsession with shit, you're either smoking it or talking it.

Ionnidis is going to Panathinaikos sweety, everyone knows that, look east

listen bag head, when the deals done we can stop conjecture, until then we don't, otherwise there wouldnt be a thread, just a bunch of announcements dohhh

lol fook me, the last 100 signings look good in clips for ten mins against 3rd rate opposition. All meaningless. watch modesto spend millions on that level. if we do, seriously, that would fe fooked up. again
Normally the ones we look at only have between 30 seconds and a minute of good clips though chap!

From looking at the account, my understanding is that to stand still in the COVID era, we will need to make at least £25m profit in transfers whilst keeping the wage bill the same.

I've tried to imagine a scenario where I'm a DOF/.Scout trying to fulfil that remit to the best of my abilities without taking bungs or helping out my agent mates.

Here's what I've come up with:

OUT:

CASH & WORRALL (money + Part exchange with Burnley see below)

Whilst it might possible to keep Worrall, I think COVID finances plus his mistake at Derby means he has to go. I think the key with football transfers if you have to sell players when they are at their peak value. I don't think Cash can get any more valuable in is position than he already is and Worrall has the potential to relapse due to morale based issues from his Derby mistake if he stays here, so best if both were moved on.

LOLLEY - (sell to Villa c. £10m)

Again, Lolley at the age he is now isn't getting any more valuable playing in the Champ. Best to sell at his peak looking at COVID circumstances and at least can be to his boyhood club.

CARVALHO (money + part exchange with Olympiakos)

Olympiakos are the only club likely to offer near what we paid for him so they're the only sensible option to do business with over him. No point in keeping him if he doesn't fit the style of play or the manager doesn't fancy him.

ADOMAH - (sell to Brum c. £1m)

Apparently Brum want to pay £1m for him. Good business for us at his age if that's the case.

WATSON - (Free)

Able to get a better contract elsewhere, so best to let him go at his age.

BENALOUANE, BRIDCUTT, CLOUGH, HEFELE - (Release)

Not sure if much explanation is needed here.

BOSTOCK, DIAKHABY - (Return from loan)

Manager obvs doesn't fancy Bostock enough. Diakhaby not good enough.

DARIKWA, SMITH, WALKER, YATES (Loan out - lower Championship clubs)

The strategy here is to loan them out to bump up their values before selling them in Jan or at the end of the season.

JOHNSON, MIGHTEN, GABRIEL, RICHARDSON, TAYLOR (Loan out - L1/ L2)

Loan these players out for their development.

IN:

JOHANN BERG GUDMUNDSSEN (part of the Burnley PX) - RW

Looks a similar player to Lolley. Could even be an upgrade as looks more physical.

BEN GIBSON (part of the Burnley PX) - CB

Was signed for big money by Burnley and has hardly had a look-in since going there. Once got in an England squad. Could end up being an upgrade. Left footed and can also fill in at left back which is useful when thinking about our dogshit LB cover.

OMAR ELABDELLAOUI - (part of the Olympiakos PX) - RB

Norwegian right back who can also play right midfield. Looks like he could be a similar type of player to Cash and as he plays for Oly we may be in a better position to get him if EM can pull the right strings.

JACK COLBACK - (Newcastle United - FREE) - DM

We've all seen what he can do. Get him back.

KAMOHELO MOKOTJO - (Brentford - FREE) - MC

Calm, tidy, more defensive minded midfielder. Played enough games for Brenftord to have enough about him.

DANIEL AYALA - (MIddlesbrough - FREE) - CB

Not sure how many people would be keen on him coming back, but he's improved whilst at Boro and is the pick of the CBs with Champ experience available on a free. Tidier at playing from the back.

AHMAD BENALI - (Crotone - FREE) - CM/ AM

Manchester born Libyan attack minded midfielder. Could be a bit of a wild card signing. Has Serie A experience as well and has had at least one good season in Serie A, so could be good enough to step up the Champ. Looks like he is quite strong for a smaller lad and has a decent enough work rate, so could do OK in the Champ.

ALEXANDRU PAUN - (CFR Cluj - FREE) LW

Looked to be the best right footed, left winger available on a free with no one else interested in him. Supposedly been one of the best players in the Romanian league this season with 7 goals and 8 assists but apparently not averse to getting back to help defend.

LYLE TAYLOR - (Charlton - FREE) ST

Despite my slating of him for being a coward, there doesn't appear to be any striker better than him available on a free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KUhEz8BjRU

KEEP:

Despite the interest and his advancing years, I decided to keep Grabban as couldn't find anyone of similar ability that wouldn't be a massive gamble to replace him with the money available to fulfil the club's financial remit.

Nice

But Burnley want big money for Ben Gibson. He is going to a richer club than us.

Ayala wasn't signed by us because of his injury record, which was shocking; and still is.

I personally don't want us going anywhere near Lyle Taylor. Thankfully, it's not an issue; he will 100% choose Celtic over us and if Celtic can't afford his demands, neither can we.

Nice

But Burnley want big money for Ben Gibson. He is going to a richer club than us.

Ayala wasn't signed by us because of his injury record, which was shocking; and still is.

I personally don't want us going anywhere near Lyle Taylor. Thankfully, it's not an issue; he will 100% choose Celtic over us and if Celtic can't afford his demands, neither can we.

I see what you're saying, but I'm trying to bear in mind our financial position.

RE: Gibson, perhaps we can use Cash and Worrall to broker a deal. As far as I heard, only Watford and Boro were interested in him.

I give up why doesnt Watnall Farm shop sell Cumberland Sausage every week?

Have you thought about a career in stand up comedy?

No, I think its for the best

You didn't let me answer!!! Ya can't ask a question and then answer it for them.

I'll try another. What is the actual difference between their Cumberland sausage and Watnall sausage?

From looking at the account, my understanding is that to stand still in the COVID era, we will need to make at least £25m profit in transfers whilst keeping the wage bill the same.

I've tried to imagine a scenario where I'm a DOF/.Scout trying to fulfil that remit to the best of my abilities without taking bungs or helping out my agent mates.

Here's what I've come up with:

OUT:

CASH & WORRALL (money + Part exchange with Burnley see below)

Whilst it might possible to keep Worrall, I think COVID finances plus his mistake at Derby means he has to go. I think the key with football transfers if you have to sell players when they are at their peak value. I don't think Cash can get any more valuable in is position than he already is and Worrall has the potential to relapse due to morale based issues from his Derby mistake if he stays here, so best if both were moved on.

LOLLEY - (sell to Villa c. £10m)

Again, Lolley at the age he is now isn't getting any more valuable playing in the Champ. Best to sell at his peak looking at COVID circumstances and at least can be to his boyhood club.

CARVALHO (money + part exchange with Olympiakos)

Olympiakos are the only club likely to offer near what we paid for him so they're the only sensible option to do business with over him. No point in keeping him if he doesn't fit the style of play or the manager doesn't fancy him.

ADOMAH - (sell to Brum c. £1m)

Apparently Brum want to pay £1m for him. Good business for us at his age if that's the case.

WATSON - (Free)

Able to get a better contract elsewhere, so best to let him go at his age.

BENALOUANE, BRIDCUTT, CLOUGH, HEFELE - (Release)

Not sure if much explanation is needed here.

BOSTOCK, DIAKHABY - (Return from loan)

Manager obvs doesn't fancy Bostock enough. Diakhaby not good enough.

DARIKWA, SMITH, WALKER, YATES (Loan out - lower Championship clubs)

The strategy here is to loan them out to bump up their values before selling them in Jan or at the end of the season.

JOHNSON, MIGHTEN, GABRIEL, RICHARDSON, TAYLOR (Loan out - L1/ L2)

Loan these players out for their development.

IN:

JOHANN BERG GUDMUNDSSEN (part of the Burnley PX) - RW

Looks a similar player to Lolley. Could even be an upgrade as looks more physical.

BEN GIBSON (part of the Burnley PX) - CB

Was signed for big money by Burnley and has hardly had a look-in since going there. Once got in an England squad. Could end up being an upgrade. Left footed and can also fill in at left back which is useful when thinking about our dogshit LB cover.

OMAR ELABDELLAOUI - (part of the Olympiakos PX) - RB

Norwegian right back who can also play right midfield. Looks like he could be a similar type of player to Cash and as he plays for Oly we may be in a better position to get him if EM can pull the right strings.

JACK COLBACK - (Newcastle United - FREE) - DM

We've all seen what he can do. Get him back.

KAMOHELO MOKOTJO - (Brentford - FREE) - MC

Calm, tidy, more defensive minded midfielder. Played enough games for Brenftord to have enough about him.

DANIEL AYALA - (MIddlesbrough - FREE) - CB

Not sure how many people would be keen on him coming back, but he's improved whilst at Boro and is the pick of the CBs with Champ experience available on a free. Tidier at playing from the back.

AHMAD BENALI - (Crotone - FREE) - CM/ AM

Manchester born Libyan attack minded midfielder. Could be a bit of a wild card signing. Has Serie A experience as well and has had at least one good season in Serie A, so could be good enough to step up the Champ. Looks like he is quite strong for a smaller lad and has a decent enough work rate, so could do OK in the Champ.

ALEXANDRU PAUN - (CFR Cluj - FREE) LW

Looked to be the best right footed, left winger available on a free with no one else interested in him. Supposedly been one of the best players in the Romanian league this season with 7 goals and 8 assists but apparently not averse to getting back to help defend.

LYLE TAYLOR - (Charlton - FREE) ST

Despite my slating of him for being a coward, there doesn't appear to be any striker better than him available on a free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KUhEz8BjRU

KEEP:

Despite the interest and his advancing years, I decided to keep Grabban as couldn't find anyone of similar ability that wouldn't be a massive gamble to replace him with the money available to fulfil the club's financial remit.

Bridcutt was out of contract and has signed for Lincoln where he was on loan. Benalouane is a decent backup . Getting rid of Clough and Hefele could be more tricky. Guess someone would take Hefele on loan if he's fit.

Bridcutt was out of contract and has signed for Lincoln where he was on loan. Benalouane is a decent backup . Getting rid of Clough and Hefele could be more tricky. Guess someone would take Hefele on loan if he's fit.

Wasn't aware about Bridcutt.

Benalouane is a decent backup, but is getting on now and looks to have injury issues. Didn't look to clever when he came on as sub the other week as well.

How many years' contract did we give Clough? Seems to me that he's been here for approaching a decade now.

I'm almost certain he's in to double figures of managers now and none of them have rated him. Just a shame about his surname as I'm fairly certain that was the only reason Fawaz the Clown signed him.

Wasn't aware about Bridcutt.

Benalouane is a decent backup, but is getting on now and looks to have injury issues. Didn't look to clever when he came on as sub the other week as well.

How many years' contract did we give Clough? Seems to me that he's been here for approaching a decade now.

I'm almost certain he's in to double figures of managers now and none of them have rated him. Just a shame about his surname as I'm fairly certain that was the only reason Fawaz the Clown signed him.

To be fair to Zach Clough, he did look reasonably useful when he first came, as did Bridcutt. No idea why some players seem to lose the plot. Bridcutt had similar problems before he came here.

To be fair to Zach Clough, he did look reasonably useful when he first came, as did Bridcutt. No idea why some players seem to lose the plot. Bridcutt had similar problems before he came here.
I thought Clough looked good for most of the games he played to be honest. He is a second striker/no.10 kind of player, and he scored a few. I'm guessing it is stuff behind the scenes, because I've never really understood what was so wrong with those performances. Not exactly a Muric

I thought Clough looked good for most of the games he played to be honest. He is a second striker/no.10 kind of player, and he scored a few. I'm guessing it is stuff behind the scenes, because I've never really understood what was so wrong with those performances. Not exactly a Muric

You really have to question why that happens to so many players that we sign.

Yes, of course, changing manager and managerial strategy several times a season doesn't help, but you'd think that maybe the manager might have more of a fighting chance of keeping their job if they were consulted on transfers in the first place?

You really have to question why that happens to so many players that we sign.

Yes, of course, changing manager and managerial strategy several times a season doesn't help, but you'd think that maybe the manager might have more of a fighting chance of keeping their job if they were consulted on transfers in the first place?
Surely the manager says “I need a striker” for example then the recruitment team goes out and gets a list of players available and affordable. Then they sit around the table including the manager and they decide which one they want and prioritise. Anyone that thinks the manager does not have any input is delirious. The manager would not have the time to scrutinise the market and individuals.

We are being linked with 27 year old Petrus Boumal who is on a free; by all accounts he is a Sow type player.

Looking at the clip his tackling appears a lot less reckless than Sow's and his passing looks considerably better, without knowing what the standard is like that he is playing in.

The links to Ionnidis grow but GBG on LTLF warned that this would happen last week.

Apparently the press related to Panathanaikos push the story that he is nailed on to sign for another club and then he signs for them at the 11th hour, making it out to be a major triumph.

Be interesting to see how that one pans out

Personally I would like to see him sign; be interesting to see how a player who wears gloves in August is taken to