The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

Why does it?

We are a selling Club; there is no getting away from that fact.

Everyone outside of the top six is a selling Club; even Leicester, who are a top six side, had to sell McGuire when United came knocking and will probably have to do the same with Chilwell.

The true litmus test of whether we are going for it or not is how we replace those players and how we resolve our attacking deficiencies.

As good as Cash and Worrall are, finding suitable replacements should not be too difficult even for our recruitment team.

Agree all of that until I read the last paragraph. I'll bet that Leicester for example had a far better recruiting team than we have when they achieved promotion and I'm not sure that our owner is fully aware of the problem or if he is knows how to deal with it. Maybe that situation is different in Greece and it's possible that his recruiting setup works well for him locally but I can't see that it's ever going to do the same here.

Agree all of that until I read the last paragraph. I'll bet that Leicester for example had a far better recruiting team than we have when they achieved promotion and I'm not sure that our owner is fully aware of the problem or if he is knows how to deal with it. Maybe that situation is different in Greece and it's possible that his recruiting setup works well for him locally but I can't see that it's ever going to do the same here.
Leicester's recruitment to win promotion amounted to spending an absolute fortune for two consecutive seasons, much of it wasted (including an eye watering amount on Matt Mills). After two failures they spent far less and just stuck with what they had already bought, which after 2-3 years together had come together as an effective team and started getting results.

The thing is we don't know how good our recruitment team are ORF.

They have been in place for three windows; I doubt they were around long enough to have had any say in the first January window, which effectively leaves them responsible for the last two.

The January window was poor but that is a window we should be steering clear of; it is a window for mugs and for panic buying.

The permanent signings last summer have proven to be decent signings despite the fact that we changed managers at the 11th hour.

We did not get all of the players we wanted, but that is of little surprise given the fact that the manager was still deciding who he wanted and who could go for the best part of the window.

Scouting players is not a ten minute job; a great deal of preparatory works goes into sourcing the players.

Can you imagine the upheaval a change of manager creates to that process; Months of work down the drain if the manager does not fancy the players you have been scouting.

Provided Lamouchi stays, which we should know this week, Modesto and Anigo will have no excuses with this windows recruitment.

They will know what type of players we need.

They will have been made aware of who we intend to sell

And they will know what kind of money we have to spend

They should be well down the road as far as signing players is concerned.

Modesto and Anigo have fantastic reputations in Greece where everyone is more than happy with the players they signed for Olympiakos; they need to repeat that here and pretty fucking quickly.

The thing is we don't know how good our recruitment team are ORF.

They have been in place for three windows; I doubt they were around long enough to have had any say in the first January window, which effectively leaves them responsible for the last two.

The January window was poor but that is a window we should be steering clear of; it is a window for mugs and for panic buying.

The permanent signings last summer have proven to be decent signings despite the fact that we changed managers at the 11th hour.

We did not get all of the players we wanted, but that is of little surprise given the fact that the manager was still deciding who he wanted and who could go for the best part of the window.

Scouting players is not a ten minute job; a great deal of preparatory works goes into sourcing the players.

Can you imagine the upheaval a change of manager creates to that process; Months of work down the drain if the manager does not fancy the players you have been scouting.

Provided Lamouchi stays, which we should know this week, Modesto and Anigo will have no excuses with this windows recruitment.

They will know what type of players we need.

They will have been made aware of who we intend to sell

And they will know what kind of money we have to spend

They should be well down the road as far as signing players is concerned.

Modesto and Anigo have fantastic reputations in Greece where everyone is more than happy with the players they signed for Olympiakos; they need to repeat that here and pretty fucking quickly.

Thanks for all the explanations, I'm sure there's much I don't know. I've always held the view that a good recruitment setup is vital if a club is to succeed and I've had and still have doubts about our current arrangement. It's always seemed essential to me that the recruiting setup works hand in glove with the coach and I've had serious doubts about this from the word go.

I've a lot of faith in SL and would like to see what he could do with a few decent attacking players.

How many players have we seen where loss of confidence is terminal? Loads.

Cox comes to mind

Looking at Simon Cocks' career both before and after joining us, was he even all that in the first place, or was it that Billy just coached all of the ability out of him as he did with so many players?

and in the same breath he said carvalho was lacking confidence and then proceeded to shun him

that will help

There is more to the Carvalho situation than meets the eye.

One minute he is in the squad, the next he is not; I would guess this is an escalation of the disagreement between EM and Mendez.

Carvalho's omission could be a bit of way of encouraging Mendez to find a new home for him.

I feel sorry for Carvalho; he is a talented player and it is not his fault that we keep changing managers so frequently.

Looking at Simon Cocks' career both before and after joining us, was he even all that in the first place, or was it that Billy just coached all of the ability out of him as he did with so many players?

:wagging:

Billy got the best out of the vast majority of players. Although you could question his opinion on strikers at times. Like Billy Sharp.

If we accept bids for Cash, Worrall and Lolley, I dread to think who Sabri Montanier will replace them with.

We need to remember that we are in some ways in a much weaker position than other clubs because d our inadequacy in previous windows and our determination to sell our players without being capable of landing any replacements.

We have no strikers if Grabban goes..

We have seen enough of Da Costa to say he will be a decent winger but you won't get any more goals from him than you do from Ameobi. For Walker to succeed here we would need to play a totally different way.

We don't have decent strikers on the bench who can step up if we sell our main striker and the replacement doesn't work out.

Literally, one mistake and we could be down. That is why I despair of these reports of Grabban going, which is absolutely brain-dead planning. We would be buying his replacement this season with him here, so he can still play if the replacement doesn't work out

As he isn't a natural goalscorer, Walker won't succeed, and that's even if he hung around the penalty area the entire game and had every attacking player creating for him.

You said that before and it was stupid the first time.

As you know, he is only part of the recruitment process.

They have a lot in common. Both came from France. Don't know the division. Can't speak fluent English. Signed terrible players. Failed to make the play-offs.

A pair of losers! :loser: