The Grand National | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Grand National

Thanks mate, that he is. The most loyal and giving friend I have that's for sure, no human being could possibly be like that.

he can be fast asleep or halfway through a meal, and I'll call him for a play, or a walk and he will be there in an instant, ready and willing.

There was a fascinating programme with Martin Clunes about dogs, including their ability to sense illness or distress in humans. Something I found, which has definately worked for us is that when you stroke and cuddle a dog you both release a chemical that lowers your stress and makes you feel relaxed and happier. I would definately agree with this, and my missus even more so - she swears that our dog was a life saver when she was in certain painful or upsetting stages of pregnancy and during the baby blues when our son was first born.

Yes, a lot of evidence that they are very good for you isn't there? I get peed off I can't have a dog, with the way my life it, a companion like that would be ideal. Darn allergies!

And yes, some dogs are able to trace when a diabetics blood sugars are dropping etc. Amazing.

I don't like dogs much.

However when my grandfather was very ill he was staying at my mom and dads house. We were looking after the in laws dog while they were on holiday and my wife took it for a walk round to my parents house .

When she left to come home she got to the end of the road (about 200 yards) and the dog turned round and started going back towards my parents house and no amount of persuasion would make her turn round so my wife ended up going back to my parents house.

When she got there my grandfather had just died.