The government has made/is making a right bloody mess of all this. | Page 26 | Vital Football

The government has made/is making a right bloody mess of all this.

The devil I suspect will be in the detail.

It should continue to apply to all, the rebate should be from the NHS budget to its employees.

The apparent u-turn was more to do with backbench revolt than Starmer. I do agree that he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t and can’t win either way.
The world has gone mad.
You write sense.
I agree with you, on this matter.
Tory backbenchers and select committee chairs forced Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson and Cummings to U turn after this was highlighted by SKS

God it’s great to have a competent opposition leader for a change. Steptoe certainly wouldn’t have forced a reversal of any such measures that’s for sure.

Since when has a government been immune from criticism?

If the government (and the PM) deserve credit for listening to a "sensible suggestion", then doesn't that say that they were ignoring that same sensible suggestion ...... until they were forced to change their mind?

They haven't admitted they were wrong in any shape or form. Indeed, the press release from Patel makes it sound like something her and Hancock had been fighting for. They'd had plenty of time to discuss the rights and wrongs of their initial proposal. They knew the impact it would have (which is why Johnson was so sheepish in defending it in the HoC), but they went ahead with it anyway. As previously stated, it's because they expected the backlash, and didn't care (which is despicable), or, they expected the backlash, and always intended to do a U-turn ......which is cynical.

I gave Johnson credit for the U-turn, but that in no way absolves him from having a shitty policy in the first place.

As an aside, hindley, Hampton, (probably less so Jock), consider this a football match, in which we're losing, Cook makes a sub, and we go onto win. Even if Cook is given credit for the sub (which isn't always the case), he still gets earache for having (wrongly) picked a shit starting XI .......... and only won by being forced into making the sub .............ring any bells?
When's the last time Cook made a game changing sub ?
Normally it's both shite selection and shite subs (or have you conveniently forgotten this along with SKS prior failings ?)
I spy an emerging modus oprandi 😉🤣

Today's foreign travel announcement - ridiculous 🙈
3 months too late
Fecks over this years holidays - who can have 2 weeks then another at home ?
Flights will go so no refunds - thats sure to cause trouble !
Huge loophole if you fly via Dublin btw 😉

And neither did Sir Keir !
Oooh ........but it rankles that he made Johnson come out with his embarrassing statement at PMQs, only to u-turn/capitulate/decide not to be an utter bastard (for whatever reason) afterwards.
;)

Last edited:
Oooh ........but it rankles that he made Johnson come out with his embarrassing statement at PMQs, only to u-urn/capitulate/decide not to be an utter bastard (for whatever reason) afterwards.
;)
I don't believe SKS "made" the PM do anything.
You do understand how a parliamentary majority works I take it ! 😉
Bandwagon jumping a serious leader of the opposition does not make.

I don't believe SKS "made" the PM do anything.
You do understand how a parliamentary majority works I take it ! 😉
Bandwagon jumping a serious leader of the opposition does not make.
In response to Starmer's question, the PM was "made" to come out with the load of tripe that he did.

I didn't say that Starmer "made" Johnson change his mind ................... though I suppose he did make Johnson look a little callous.

Today's foreign travel announcement - ridiculous 🙈
3 months too late
Fecks over this years holidays - who can have 2 weeks then another at home ?
Flights will go so no refunds - thats sure to cause trouble !
Huge loophole if you fly via Dublin btw 😉
So what is it about?
1. Stopping us spending money on foreign holidays, and therefore retaining spending in the UK, thus an economic measure
2. Playing to their voters, this action must have been through a focus group
3. It is daft

And neither did Sir Keir !
You think the prime minister would have pulled a u-turn had it not been brought up in parliament? Get real ffs, more chance of Corbyn getting elected into number ten! He got shamed into a u-turn through numerous factions that included getting called out on it in parliament. End of story.

You think the prime minister would have pulled a u-turn had it not been brought up in parliament? Get real ffs, more chance of Corbyn getting elected into number ten! He got shamed into a u-turn through numerous factions that included getting called out on it in parliament. End of story.
Actually yes I do - the pressure was from outside parliament - and rightly so.
Initiated by the BMA and the nurses to support fm the general public and no doubt the "focus groups"
All this was well in play before it was mentioned in parliament in an opportunistic and point scoring manner.

So what is it about?
1. Stopping us spending money on foreign holidays, and therefore retaining spending in the UK, thus an economic measure
2. Playing to their voters, this action must have been through a focus group
3. It is daft

To point 3 it is daft agreed.
1. Doubtful - If folk have booked holidays that will not now be cancelled but are unable to take them due to isolation requirement on return they will lose their money or incur high% cancellation fees and will not be able to go on hols in UK
2. Hardly think stopping Leythers going to Benidorm is playing to their voters 😉

Actually yes I do - the pressure was from outside parliament - and rightly so.
Initiated by the BMA and the nurses to support fm the general public and no doubt the "focus groups" .

This bit, I agree with.

All this was well in play before it was mentioned in parliament in an opportunistic and point scoring manner.

It's eating you up inside, isn't it ......... your insistence on giving him no credit whatsoever (regardless of whether or not it's deserved). It has you looking about as objective as Trump when discussing Obama.
:LOL:

This bit, I agree with.

It's eating you up inside, isn't it ......... your insistence on giving him no credit whatsoever (regardless of whether or not it's deserved). It has you looking about as objective as Trump when discussing Obama.
:LOL:
I am the SKS ying to your PMs yang
Will continue to be so for the sake of forum "balance" 👍

After weeks of stating that they "follow the science" it's clear that the government no longer is.
Beggars belief IMO whilst thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths continue to be reported each day.
Good luck to the second wave cannon fodder heading to the beach or the hills.
I'll be staying chez Hampton for a while longer until the consequences of this are clear.
Stay safe all !