The government has made/is making a right bloody mess of all this. | Page 25 | Vital Football

The government has made/is making a right bloody mess of all this.

Been painting the conservatory. What have I missed? Has Johnson shown up? He's been the invisible man all week........ he must have been hiding in his fridge again.

I presume one of the questions will be about tracing and the IoW trial. Surely that's got to be bob on to support the easement .......and any further relaxation.

It's quite depressing really. Listening to Jeremy Vine, he had reporters on giving updates on the easement in Italy, France, Spain, Germany and Greece .................... it sounded like they all have a much clearer plan for the post lockdown phase. I sincerely hope we're discussing with and learning from them.

Any road .......Mr Dulux is beckoning !

Been painting the conservatory. What have I missed? Has Johnson shown up? He's been the invisible man all week........ he must have been hiding in his fridge again.

I presume one of the questions will be about tracing and the IoW trial. Surely that's got to be bob on to support the easement .......and any further relaxation.

It's quite depressing really. Listening to Jeremy Vine, he had reporters on giving updates on the easement in Italy, France, Spain, Germany and Greece .................... it sounded like they all have a much clearer plan for the post lockdown phase. I sincerely hope we're discussing with and learning from them.

Any road .......Mr Dulux is beckoning !

I think we’ll place this post in the filing cabinet draw marked ‘the dog ate my homework’ 😉

How about ☀️shining and things are better instead of being full of doom maybee hold my grandkids next week it’s here to stay. So let’s learn to live with it

Just caught up with PMQs. Firstly, I have to say, it was Johnson's best showing against Starmer ....... even though he lied about carehomes (Buckland had already admitted that this morning) and then he lied again wasn't exactly truthful about test track and trace ....... apparently, the tracking app won't be ready for 1st June, though the PM omitted to say that point.

The kick in the teeth though that shows the antipathy of this government toward immigrants working on "the front line" - even the ones who helped save the life of them PM - was with the NHS surcharge. Not having an exemption for NHS staff and care-workers is a disgrace. Johnson tried to wriggle out of this by saying that the way forward is for NHS staff to be "paid properly" ....... but as this is only a few days after Hancock wouldn't guarantee a pay rise to the NHS (though he said he'd fight for them to get a "fair reward"), I'm sure that Starmer will have made a marker to return to today's comments at some future point should it be necessary.

Actually, watching it, I thought it was probably Starmer's worst performance so far, (not that he was particularly bad) and Johnson's best ....... though when he's going to blatantly lie about stuff, and not properly answer the questions, that makes things a lot easier.

The scolding of Hancock was marvellous.

Just caught up with PMQs. Firstly, I have to say, it was Johnson's best showing against Starmer ....... even though he lied about carehomes (Buckland had already admitted that this morning) and then he lied again wasn't exactly truthful about test track and trace ....... apparently, the tracking app won't be ready for 1st June, though the PM omitted to say that point.

The kick in the teeth though that shows the antipathy of this government toward immigrants working on "the front line" - even the ones who helped save the life of them PM - was with the NHS surcharge. Not having an exemption for NHS staff and care-workers is a disgrace. Johnson tried to wriggle out of this by saying that the way forward is for NHS staff to be "paid properly" ....... but as this is only a few days after Hancock wouldn't guarantee a pay rise to the NHS (though he said he'd fight for them to get a "fair reward"), I'm sure that Starmer will have made a marker to return to today's comments at some future point should it be necessary.

Actually, watching it, I thought it was probably Starmer's worst performance so far, (not that he was particularly bad) and Johnson's best ....... though when he's going to blatantly lie about stuff, and not properly answer the questions, that makes things a lot easier.

The scolding of Hancock was marvellous.
Hellfire what's going on here - praise for Johnson......!😳
Only explanation I can think of is the conservatory wasn't adequately ventilated whilst painting and its had a strange effect 😉🤣

Hellfire what's going on here - praise for Johnson......!😳
Only explanation I can think of is the conservatory wasn't adequately ventilated whilst painting and its had a strange effect 😉🤣

Saying it was his best performance is hardly praise. He didn't answer questions, he didn't know what had been said in his own committees, he lied, and he shafted foreign workers. Other than that, I suppose he did great. ;)

On the other hand, it was bloody sweltering .......especially right at the top. Heatstroke is a definite possibility. :sick:

Saying it was his best performance is hardly praise. He didn't answer questions, he didn't know what had been said in his own committees, he lied, and he shafted foreign workers. Other than that, I suppose he did great. ;)

On the other hand, it was bloody sweltering .......especially right at the top. Heatstroke is a definite possibility. :sick:
Coming from yourself - it's praise alright 😉

I suppose this could have gone in the "praise" thread ............. but as yesterday, I whinged that the Johnson had declined Starmer's request to exclude NHS & Care staff from the NHS surcharge, I think noting his U-turn is best done here.

Bullied (or charmed ...... or embarrassed) by Starmer? Told how bad it looks by "a Downing St source"? Threatened by the BMA or Nurses Union?

Regardless, he's done it. Hancock's response (at today's brief) to the question "why?" was pretty shit, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Well done Johnson, but why on earth didn't you exempt them up front. I sincerely hope this doesn't mean that you're now going to walk back on your comment (intent?, commitment?, plan? ) re paying the NHS properly.

I suppose this could have gone in the "praise" thread ............. but as yesterday, I whinged that the Johnson had declined Starmer's request to exclude NHS & Care staff from the NHS surcharge, I think noting his U-turn is best done here.

Bullied (or charmed ...... or embarrassed) by Starmer? Told how bad it looks by "a Downing St source"? Threatened by the BMA or Nurses Union?

Regardless, he's done it. Hancock's response (at today's brief) to the question "why?" was pretty shit, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Well done Johnson, but why on earth didn't you exempt them up front. I sincerely hope this doesn't mean that you're now going to walk back on your comment (intent?, commitment?, plan? ) re paying the NHS properly.

See this is EXACTLY the reason Government's very, very rarely change their stance, their decisions or their position on things cos some billybigbollocks will say varying degrees on 'told you they should have'...'they were wrong all along'.....'it's only because of a/b/c'........why oh why can't people, be that the opposition, media or the general public just say - well at least they've listened to reason or that they've had a change of heart.....
In a similar vein that's the reason many in public office very very rarely admit they were wrong cos of the sh@tfest & oh woe is thee that will follow an apology or u turn.
Point scoring & mightier than thou supersedes any decent thinking if one apologises or changes a decision..... rant over 👹

Moonay you were right in the first instance the post should have been on the other thread.

It's a common sense decision and proves that a govt with a whacking majority has listened to the public reaction and mood and adjusted it's position accordingly for that they should be applauded.

To suggest that this is down to SKS is frankly ridiculous - he gets credit only for an ability to ride on the coat tails of the BMA and the Nurses who rightly made the first challenge - your hero is playing populism here nothing less.

You'll be suggesting he stars in a remake of a popular 70's light entertainment show next.
"Keir'll fix it" - now that would be ironic !

See this is EXACTLY the reason Government's very, very rarely change their stance, their decisions or their position on things cos some billybigbollocks will say varying degrees on 'told you they should have'...'they were wrong all along'.....'it's only because of a/b/c'........why oh why can't people, be that the opposition, media or the general public just say - well at least they've listened to reason or that they've had a change of heart.....
In a similar vein that's the reason many in public office very very rarely admit they were wrong cos of the sh@tfest & oh woe is thee that will follow an apology or u turn.
Point scoring & mightier than thou supersedes any decent thinking if one apologises or changes a decision..... rant over 👹
Moonaybigbollocks anyone ? 😉🤣

Jock, it's the 2nd U-turn in as many days (the other one being the extension of the bereavement scheme for non medical staff).

Regardless of why he's had a change of heart, the PM stood in the HoC yesterday, and quite clearly stated that whist he recognised that some of those people saved his life, he still thought they should pay the surcharge. To now have a change of mind, whilst excellent news, sounds like they knew it was a really poor decision in the first place ........ but thought they'd get away with it.

That's why Hampton it doesn't deserve to be in the other thread. I'd have happily posted summat in there if they'd made this decision in the first place ...... but they didn't ....... and Johnson then defended his shitty decision as the right thing to do. Like shit it was.

Jock, there's making a mistake, and there's cynically making a decision you know to be unpopular, only to overturn it. This is more likely the latter.

Nowt to do with Billy Big Bollocks either (though I'll take the compliment Hampton ;)) ......... they were called out on it up front. ..................... if they were listening to reason, they wouldn't have made the decision in the first place.

Hampton, as for the Keir'll fix it ..... :clap:

;)

Jock, it's the 2nd U-turn in as many days (the other one being the extension of the bereavement scheme for non medical staff).

Regardless of why he's had a change of heart, the PM stood in the HoC yesterday, and quite clearly stated that whist he recognised that some of those people saved his life, he still thought they should pay the surcharge. To now have a change of mind, whilst excellent news, sounds like they knew it was a really poor decision in the first place ........ but thought they'd get away with it.

That's why Hampton it doesn't deserve to be in the other thread. I'd have happily posted summat in there if they'd made this decision in the first place ...... but they didn't ....... and Johnson then defended his shitty decision as the right thing to do. Like shit it was.

Jock, there's making a mistake, and there's cynically making a decision you know to be unpopular, only to overturn it. This is more likely the latter.

Nowt to do with Billy Big Bollocks either (though I'll take the compliment Hampton ;)) ......... they were called out on it up front. ..................... if they were listening to reason, they wouldn't have made the decision in the first place.

Hampton, as for the Keir'll fix it ..... :clap:

;)

So would you rather they hadn't changed the decision and rode it out ?
We can all make mistakes and this was one for sure.
That they've reversed it and admitted it was wrong is IMO refreshingly positive.

That they've reversed it and admitted it was wrong is IMO refreshingly positive.
I said "well done". What would you have me do. ?

I haven't seen any admission it was "wrong" though. Just a sheepish reversal.

As I said earlier Hampton, apologises or a reversal of a decision just gives those that want to snipe, whinge and point score the ideal opportunity.
Also while I'm whinging at the whingers did u hear wee Jimmy Kranky today....telling us all how Scotland plans to come out of lockdown - cue Boris's speech in a Scottish accent n a few very minor amendments, what a wee hypocrite she is.

Seems like Boris is damned if he does or doesn't....some were asking for the PM to listen to the opposition in matters such as this, so they complain if he doesn't....then when he listens to a sensible suggestion such as this the same folk complain and attempt a point scoring opportunity ( much like the LoTO did immediately after he reconsidered).

The population can see all this for exactly what it is...a demonstration of bias against the government and one big bore.

Since when has a government been immune from criticism?

If the government (and the PM) deserve credit for listening to a "sensible suggestion", then doesn't that say that they were ignoring that same sensible suggestion ...... until they were forced to change their mind?

They haven't admitted they were wrong in any shape or form. Indeed, the press release from Patel makes it sound like something her and Hancock had been fighting for. They'd had plenty of time to discuss the rights and wrongs of their initial proposal. They knew the impact it would have (which is why Johnson was so sheepish in defending it in the HoC), but they went ahead with it anyway. As previously stated, it's because they expected the backlash, and didn't care (which is despicable), or, they expected the backlash, and always intended to do a U-turn ......which is cynical.

I gave Johnson credit for the U-turn, but that in no way absolves him from having a shitty policy in the first place.

As an aside, hindley, Hampton, (probably less so Jock), consider this a football match, in which we're losing, Cook makes a sub, and we go onto win. Even if Cook is given credit for the sub (which isn't always the case), he still gets earache for having (wrongly) picked a shit starting XI .......... and only won by being forced into making the sub .............ring any bells?

The devil I suspect will be in the detail.

It should continue to apply to all, the rebate should be from the NHS budget to its employees.

The apparent u-turn was more to do with backbench revolt than Starmer. I do agree that he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t and can’t win either way.