The government are trying their best in difficult circumstances | Page 14 | Vital Football

The government are trying their best in difficult circumstances

Credit where it's due .............. without understanding all of the detail, that speech by Richu Sunak (and package of improvements) was generally good news. Obviously, more could have been done, but hey, we're in a shitty time.

A few downsides, obviously (public sector workers pay - though smart to exempt health-workers from this - and overseas support being two), but generally, welcome news.

How must Sunak feel though, being an island of reasonable competence amongst the dross of Williamson, Jenrick, Hancock (my how his stock has fallen), Rees-Mogg, Raab, Buckland, Truss, Shapps, plus of course, the bully, and not forgetting bumbling BJ.

Plenty of other things to whinge about (elsewhere), but on this thread, a cautious thumbs is deservedly given.

Credit where it's due .............. without understanding all of the detail, that speech by Richu Sunak (and package of improvements) was generally good news. Obviously, more could have been done, but hey, we're in a shitty time.

A few downsides, obviously (public sector workers pay - though smart to exempt health-workers from this - and overseas support being two), but generally, welcome news.

How must Sunak feel though, being an island of reasonable competence amongst the dross of Williamson, Jenrick, Hancock (my how his stock has fallen), Rees-Mogg, Raab, Buckland, Truss, Shapps, plus of course, the bully, and not forgetting bumbling BJ.

Plenty of other things to whinge about (elsewhere), but on this thread, a cautious thumbs is deservedly given.

Not from me. This speech just epitomizes how incompetent, selfish, nasty and unfair this Tory Government is. Cutting foreign aid is just spiteful. Not a mention of Brexit. No pay increases for cleaners or social care workers. How Sunak can stand there and deliver this as some kind of rescue package is beyond me. Disgusting.

Not from me. This speech just epitomizes how incompetent, selfish, nasty and unfair this Tory Government is. Cutting foreign aid is just spiteful. Not a mention of Brexit. No pay increases for cleaners or social care workers. How Sunak can stand there and deliver this as some kind of rescue package is beyond me. Disgusting.
To be fair, we will be in competition with nations we send money to after Brexit. Maybe quite a rational move ;)

I’m not denying the factual nature of those stats, but they are misleading in the context of you text. It has nothing to do with the governments ability to vaccinate people - it’s because it seems we have a higher proportion of fuck wits in this country who refuse to have one.

I’m not denying the factual nature of those stats, but they are misleading in the context of you text. It has nothing to do with the governments ability to vaccinate people - it’s because it seems we have a higher proportion of fuck wits in this country who refuse to have one.
I understand your point, (and agree re the fuck-wits comment) but I fundamentally disagree that things are beyond the Government's control.

I've just come back from France again, where masks in shops (of any size) are still mandatory. Also, every restaurant and cafe wanted to see your vaccination status before they'd let you in. The message given by the French government is very clear re the importance of it being everyone's responsibility. The message - and example - given by our lot has been bloody atrocious.

I'm sure there are French fuck-wits out there too, ........ but then again, given the amount of ours who voted for Brexit, maybe you're right that we have more.
;)

I understand your point, (and agree re the fuck-wits comment) but I fundamentally disagree that things are beyond the Government's control.

I've just come back from France again, where masks in shops (of any size) are still mandatory. Also, every restaurant and cafe wanted to see your vaccination status before they'd let you in. The message given by the French government is very clear re the importance of it being everyone's responsibility. The message - and example - given by our lot has been bloody atrocious.

I'm sure there are French fuck-wits out there too, ........ but then again, given the amount of ours who voted for Brexit, maybe you're right that we have more.
;)

Personally I’ve no issue with having to show covid certification. I think the government wanted to do similar but wasn’t politically feasible because of all the whinging and moaning. Likewise with continued mask wearing. Other than making covid passports mandatory then there is only so much a government can do to convince these dickheads - other than forcibly restraining them, linking it to benefits, pensions etc. I’d say fuck them as I couldn’t care less if one of these clowns got it and died - but unfortunately if they get it they can still pass it to the vaccinated.

As for the French fuck wits - i give you Macron and his minions. Toys all over the show because of this new defence alliance. Wonderful stuff.

"Wasn't feasible"?! Of course it was feasible ...... or at least, it would have been had the government not set such an awful example re mask wearing - not to say sending out such mealy mouthed comms.

3 times now, they've desperately wanted to declare the whole issue done and dusted ... but 3 times, they've had to walk back their half hearted efforts.

As for Macron, he's probably got reason for feeling pissed off, seeing as at least one of those countries has (reportedly) reneged on a previous agreement ... but I get the point that he does flounce a little more than is good for him !

Bear in mind, we have a number of defence agreements with France ... let's hope Macron doesn't renege on them with us in a similar fashion.

"Wasn't feasible"?! Of course it was feasible ...... or at least, it would have been had the government not set such an awful example re mask wearing - not to say sending out such mealy mouthed comms.

3 times now, they've desperately wanted to declare the whole issue done and dusted ... but 3 times, they've had to walk back their half hearted efforts.

As for Macron, he's probably got reason for feeling pissed off, seeing as at least one of those countries has (reportedly) reneged on a previous agreement ... but I get the point that he does flounce a little more than is good for him !

Bear in mind, we have a number of defence agreements with France ... let's hope Macron doesn't renege on them with us in a similar fashion.

British society is not the type that easily agrees to suppressive measures - and that’s half the battle. Passports wouldn’t have been accepted and I suspect would have created problems and more unrest. The mask edict has now ended - and they are vaccinated, so no reason to continue wearing them. The policy is to live with covid, so MPs hiding behind masks won’t help sell that message. As for the comms re vaccines - anyone with half a brain knows about covid, the deaths, the infection rates etc so if these half wits think they being injected with 5G or any of the other nonsense conspiracy theories im not sure what more effective comms could be used.

Re Macron he needs to understand situations change. Given the perceived threat from China and China’s actions toward Australia when they suggested they should be investigated over the covid origins perhaps they feel their defence forces aren’t upto scratch. The deal is about much more than submarines but about a joint security pact. The lead time on these things are years, if not decades away, but they have increased their security now by entering this deal. Plus they get more technologically advanced vessels, so it’s a win win for them and a win in particular for the US.

If Macron took a moment to calm down he’d realise France can still be a useful partner in this area - and rhetoric aside the US/UK want them to be. However they are in the EU, he wants an EU army and the intelligence, cyber security aspects are something Aukus aren’t comfortable sharing. It’s just like France saying we could no longer be part of the Gallieo scheme. What goes around, comes around as they say. We do have a number of defence agreements with France - which goes both ways such as in Mali example - so if they want to cut their snout off to spite their face I guess that’s upto them. Withdrawing ambassadors however is just pure childish petulance and if he really thinks he’s going to take on the US in particular in this way (I don’t mean militarily) then I don’t think it’ll end well.

Some of your words above simply describe the attitude and logic of some of the "fuck-wits" (your terminology) albeit in a more eloquent manner

The government's messaging has been awful. Simple.

Showing a vaccination record or a recent test result (or some kind of authorised exemption) shouldn't be a problem for people.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, mask wearing in shops will continue .... cos we all know that the edict will be back in place in the near future.

Living with Covid doesn't mean living like we used to do. It means we continue to do sensible things to minimise any further spread. Wearing masks when appropriate, showing Vax/test records, not breathing in other folks' ear'oles ...... it all makes sense.

You clearly don’t understand British society or the political system. Whilst I personally have no problem showing a certificate, it seems many in this country do and won’t comply. Given the opposition within his party, the cost of implementation, enforcement and the hinderance to business it was deemed not viable to pursue at this moment in time. People know the risks and consequences of covid now and we should not continue to be a nanny state now there is a certain handle on it. Vaccinated doesn’t mean you can’t get it or pass it, though the efficacy is reduced. As such they aren’t a golden bullet, and a certificate won’t stop that it just says you’ve been jabbed.

As regards masks, shops can make these compulsory for entrance, but won’t. Even their employees don’t need to comply. Same with many businesses. Sanitation points continue and are a sensible measure for personal hygiene. Wear a mask if you want. Or don’t. Live life like a hermit. Or don’t. It’s all about individual choice now there is a vaccine in place which reduces the likelihood of catching, passing on and severity of illness. Life has to go on and there is always an element of acceptable risk. Stood a packed terrace on Saturday was a risk, crammed on a packed train was a risk, being back in pubs is a risk. Individuals need to decide what there’s is and live life accordingly.

You clearly don’t understand British society or the political system. Whilst I personally have no problem showing a certificate, it seems many in this country do and won’t comply. .

But as you (rightly) say, they're fuck-wits. Surely, no decent government is worried about upsetting fuck-wits, are they?

Given the opposition within his party, the cost of implementation, enforcement and the hinderance to business it was deemed not viable to pursue at this moment in time.

Cost? What cost? Enforcement worked fine in France ..... it didn't seem to be a hinderance to anyone. If our fuck-wits can't live with it, then does it matter? They're not going to eat out very often, or go to the cinema, or have a pint in the pub, or, well, you get the picture. It's motivation for them to get vaccinated. (Or they can always show a recent negative test). Viability (as far as I'm aware) has never been an issue.

People know the risks and consequences of covid now and we should not continue to be a nanny state now there is a certain handle on it. Vaccinated doesn’t mean you can’t get it or pass it, though the efficacy is reduced. As such they aren’t a golden bullet, and a certificate won’t stop that it just says you’ve been jabbed.

As regards masks, shops can make these compulsory for entrance, but won’t. Even their employees don’t need to comply. Same with many businesses. Sanitation points continue and are a sensible measure for personal hygiene. Wear a mask if you want. Or don’t. Live life like a hermit. Or don’t. It’s all about individual choice now there is a vaccine in place which reduces the likelihood of catching, passing on and severity of illness. Life has to go on and there is always an element of acceptable risk. Stood a packed terrace on Saturday was a risk, crammed on a packed train was a risk, being back in pubs is a risk. Individuals need to decide what there’s is and live life accordingly.

It's interesting how you seem to be shifting. Initially, blaming the fuck-wits, but now, defending a government that seems to be at best, putting up with their fuckwittery, and at worst, pandering to it.

I know you don't want to admit that the government's messaging has been abysmal throughout the past 18 months, but we both know that it has. Their problem is that they probably reckon that a fair proportion of the fuckwits voted for them. You just need to look at the behaviour of the two sides of the house in the Commons to work that one out.