The Golf Thread | Page 38 | Vital Football

The Golf Thread

That is indeed a long hole. It's a shame you had to take a drop.

I find the long par 3s toughest - the ones when you can't GIR because it's just too far. Having to hope for a couple of good shots then a 1 putt is a combo I can't do often.

We've played a course a lot recently on which 3 of the 4 par 3s are over 200m. It feels wrong hitting a driver on a par 3.

My course is also closed today. (apparently 17mm of rain last night)

Got some tokens for the local range so going to smack 100 balls in a bit and see if I can get the swing speed up.

they need to spend some of the income on better drainage at our course instead of putting more bunkers in or refurbing the bar (again) . The committee are on borrowed time (hopefully)

Millionaire golf this morning. We were probably one of 3 or 4 flights on the course but didn't see a soul for the whole round. All of the Muslims are fasting so no golf for them.

92 today. I'm happy enough that my scores seem to be settling in the 90s now. With some better chipping and a few more focused putts, I'd have been in the 80s.

I'm blaming the punched greens.

It always helps just being able to go round the course with no hold-ups.

Those scores seem to be coming down nicely.

I had a lesson last week. I hit a few with my 7 iron to start off. The Pro said I had a decent looking swing but too slow. I was carrying on average 105yds with my 7 iron (best was 114). He said with your swing action we should be looking to be at least 140yds carry.

He then got me to do a couple of simple swing drills which I could't do - I just kept missing the ball or shanking it. He then said just do your normal swing and get your eye back in. I couldn't - it had all totally gone after 25 minutes.

I assume it'll get worse before it gets better. I've got another lesson booked for next week.

It always helps just being able to go round the course with no hold-ups.

Those scores seem to be coming down nicely.

I had a lesson last week. I hit a few with my 7 iron to start off. The Pro said I had a decent looking swing but too slow. I was carrying on average 105yds with my 7 iron (best was 114). He said with your swing action we should be looking to be at least 140yds carry.

He then got me to do a couple of simple swing drills which I could't do - I just kept missing the ball or shanking it. He then said just do your normal swing and get your eye back in. I couldn't - it had all totally gone after 25 minutes.

I assume it'll get worse before it gets better. I've got another lesson booked for next week.

I had a lesson like that. It was the week before I was playing in a competition with 30 mates. I was hitting my irons well but kept slicing my drives. After the lesson I couldn't hit a ball. Nightmare. I never went back to that guy.

I have been thinking about getting lessons but they are so expensive. It just doesn't seem worth the money.

I discovered that I hadn't tightened the head on my driver properly on the first tee this morning. I tried a mate's driver but it didn't go well so I used a 5 wood off the tee today. Surprisingly, it worked out alright. I got around in 96. It was my putting that let me down. Perhaps 5 wood off the tee is the future?

Maybe, but you could also find that next round you hit a 5 wood like you've never seen one before but your putting is red hot.

You know how it goes . . . :arrghh: :LOL:

I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole with my golf game at the moment. Every week it's something different so I go to the range and work on that and then something else pops out. Golf, eh?