The Game | Vital Football

The Game

Rising

Alert Team
Is anyone else now disillusioned with what football has become?
I don’t mean just because of UEFA and the protectionism of the old guard and what they’re doing to us.
Football is a beautiful, skilful sport and it is a joy to watch at the elite level.
But now matches have become a trial to watch at times.
VAR taking the spontaneous joy out of a goal scored and then ruled out, sometimes taking ages to come to a decision.
There is so much at stake these days we have become used to seeing players and managers raging mad in every game. Cheating, diving. Fans too, full of hate throwing things at players, racist and homophobic abuse. Fighting in the stands.
Is it just me that wonders if it can go on like this?

Football is reflective of society in general, until umpires regain respect from players it will get worse I think. VAR should be a positive for our sport, if applied correctly. That starts with black letter interpretation of the rules, just look at penalties and keepers moving off their lines, can't be that hard, surely.

Top flight football has become too sterile and boring now and VAR is just ruining the game in my opinion,it may be fair but from what I've seen (on tv tbf) is that it's slowing the game down,you get a player scoring a goal and off he goes in celebration only to stop mid flow because VAR is being viewed,and what about the joy of the goal that shouldn't have been when you score even though it came off a hand or offside position that the ref didn't notice,we would love to moan or gloat about stuff like that and if it's against local rivals then it's even sweeter,it wasn't cheating it was a part of the game as it could easily go against you as well as for you,the players of today are a different beast from players from say the 70's when I first started watching Notts,they are now finely tuned machines who wouldn't last 45 minutes if transported back to the sand filled grounds of yesteryear and it goes the other way as well,the 70's player wouldn't be able to stand the pace of today's game and he would be baffled as he got a red card for doing a tackle that nearly maimed the forward that was getting to near the goal that he was defending
As some of you may know I've had to suffer the indignity of watching 5th tier football but even at that level the quality of football is pretty good,I thought the standard of play would be Sunday morning pubish with trialists and lower league journeyman dominating the game but it's far from that,it's all taken very seriously and good money is being spent (by.non league standards) trying to get out of there and players doing multi rolls along the pitch clutching his knees as he is lightly knocked by a passing opposition player is all to common even at that level,it's all to sanitized now and its only going to get worst,thank god I lived through the good times