The Future | Vital Football

The Future

Skip_4

Vital Squad Member
I think we'd all agree that we could do with something positive to talk about, and for me there is only one real positive at the club - the academy.

So, assuming we don't just sell everyone when the 1st bid comes in, I'm hoping we can see some of the following make an impact in the near future:

Yates
Brereton
McDonagh
Walker
Iacovitti
Ahmedhodzic
Edser
Gomis
Erlandsson (can't be worse than Vlad)

Some I'm much more familiar with than others, it would be great to get people's thoughts on some of our younger players in general, let's inject a bit of positivity!

Waiting for standard "his shit" comment of course
:17:

the academy includes dozens of staff and hundreds of players, all working near the top of their level, they have had good investment from the owner and i have brought it up several times. irrespective of everything else the academy from u16's to u23's has improved during fawaz's time and should be applauded. that part of the vision he was getting right and it still bodes well if.. well, we know all the if's

This is a Fawaz tweet we can be happy about....

@FAWAZ_ALHASAWI ?@fawaz_alhasawi1 8m8 minutes ago
Pleased to announce that Ben Brereton has signed a new contract with #NFFC

i obviously dont go very often at all anymore but still lve to keep abreast of things and have family who still go to most the u21's games etc

for what its worth tho id give an analogy/comparison for how we should be using these kids and why we still need big investment in the 'first team'. someone like jordan henderson, sort of gonna be the next steven gerrard for them in midfield but in reality it took him about 3 years working as Gerrards back up, playing in cup games or when gerrard was injured etc thats how we make them complete players and when they are better than the first teamer then we get rid of the first teamer and the next kid on the block fights as back up.

its basic really and shows we dont have a good enough 11 when we think 6 of the kids can be around the starting line up. i think we will waste a lot of their potential until we have that solid first 11 we can start every week as we have with several where we feel liek we have to rush them, aka walker.

others like Burke for several reasons we kinda were doing it right and it was bloody working (he got people like antonio in when we knew he was quality)

The best bet to get them to improve is to get them out on loan, as we have done this season.We need to get the right level though, otherwise they are just not playing elsewhere. Walker got off to a great start at Stevenage, then got a "freak injury". Anyone know what he has done, and when he'll be playing again? McDonagh seems to be doing ok at Wrexham, and Yates has had good reviews at a much lower level. Iacovitti can't get in the Mansfield team now though.

Have we given up on Evtimov ever making it here now?

Skip_4 - 31/12/2016 17:01

I think we'd all agree that we could do with something positive to talk about, and for me there is only one real positive at the club - the academy.

So, assuming we don't just sell everyone when the 1st bid comes in, I'm hoping we can see some of the following make an impact in the near future:

Yates
Brereton
McDonagh
Walker
Iacovitti
Ahmedhodzic
Edser
Gomis
Erlandsson (can't be worse than Vlad)

Some I'm much more familiar with than others, it would be great to get people's thoughts on some of our younger players in general, let's inject a bit of positivity!

Waiting for standard "his shit" comment of course
:17:

PM will give the youth a chance

However when Bob Bradley comes in non of them will get near the first 'Squad' to play 'Soccer' and I doubt Breretons 'Field' goals will help him

Red Gonzo - 31/12/2016 18:40

Great news but I thought we were not dealing with contracts until the new owners were in?

Ingy - 1/1/2017 12:20

Red Gonzo - 31/12/2016 18:40

Great news but I thought we were not dealing with contracts until the new owners were in?

Clearly a contradiction that will ruffle a few feathers, but it is great news nonetheless.

I completely agree with others that it's best not to blood youngsters into a failing team but that's what we are, and I wouldn't be afraid of chucking a couple in. Gary Brazil thinks that 3-4 are on the cusp, and they couldn't be worse than some of our 1st team options who are quite frankly poor excuses for professional footballers.

At least with our youngsters you get a great attitude and work rate, and with our latest embargo and massive injury list they'll be more important than ever.

Give the Kids a chance,the supporters will back them fully given the stuff we have endured from the so called seniors and overpaid Primadonnas we have managed to collect in our squad over the last few years.

malc08 - 1/1/2017 14:29

Give the Kids a chance,the supporters will back them fully given the stuff we have endured from the so called seniors and overpaid Primadonnas we have managed to collect in our squad over the last few years.

Yes, mostly right but it's much better to include kids in a side playing well with decent players. Then there's a good chance that they'll pick up better attitudes and moves.

They're not going to learn much playing with our current bunch.

Old Red Fart - 1/1/2017 22:52

Yes, mostly right but it's much better to include kids in a side playing well with decent players. Then there's a good chance that they'll pick up better attitudes and moves.

I don't think that's right ORF, we have some decent senior players. Our problem this season is not being able to get them on the pitch at the same time, mainly due to injuries, but also PM's bizarre selections. The kids would learn from the likes of Assombalonga, Lansbury, Vaughan, Lichaj (what a good attitude), Mancienne, Osborn, Cohen, Pereira (at a pinch) and Hobbs. That's 9 good pro's.

It's also why I remain optimistic for the second half of the season, hopefully with a new owner who will provide the structure and new resources required.

forestonourwayback - 1/1/2017 22:32

Old Red Fart - 1/1/2017 22:52

I don't think that's right ORF, we have some decent senior players. Our problem this season is not being able to get them on the pitch at the same time, mainly due to injuries, but also PM's bizarre selections. The kids would learn from the likes of Assombalonga, Lansbury, Vaughan, Lichaj (what a good attitude), Mancienne, Osborn, Cohen, Pereira (at a pinch) and Hobbs. That's 9 good pro's.

It's also why I remain optimistic for the second half of the season, hopefully with a new owner who will provide the structure and new resources required.

Yes, agree in part with you but the problem seems to me that we can't get enough of the decent players on the pitch at the same time.
Coupled with the fact that PM doesn't seem to be able to get his discipline and subs right either. And on top of that some of these guys filling in don't seem to care too much.

If we could only get the decent players on the pitch together we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. Hope you're right about the second half of the season.

:14:

I can't believe I was ever that positive about anything, but yes I had high hopes that the academy would save us.

Hasn't really worked out, has it? More like hope restored by an influx of Portuguese.

Cash impressed me most last season out of the academy graduates, and I never even mentioned the poor sod. No mention for Worrall either who could develop nicely.

I still have semi - high hopes for Yates and Brereton but that's about it from the lads I mentioned back then.

I remember Edser signing a long term deal not too long ago, do you think he will be loaned out this season?

Does anyone know who from the U23s Karanka sees as close to breaking through? Could be very difficult if the new players live up to expectation.

Edser is a strange one because hes not bulky like Yates and League 2 will give him a hammering. Hes a great player and it will either make or break him (literally). He could be a Shelvey type player for us.