The Frederic Guilbert Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Frederic Guilbert Thread

I like Freddy and hopefully being on loan and game time might just give him a bit more maturity in terms of defending. At the League Cup final last year, his father was in the seat in front of me and his brother, mother and friends were also there. They were so excited to see him in a major final. We had a great chat in his broken English and my rudimentary French! I hope Freddy does well in the game and if he doesn't return to Villa, then I hope he remembers his time with us.
Incidentally, just behind us were 4 guys from Norway who were there to see Nyland - jot sure if they were family or friends.

Good luck to Freddy and I do hope he returns next season. Elmo is out of contract I believe so unless Deano think Kaine Kessler is ready to step up we'll need a back up rb to Cash and I don't see why he shouldn't be it. Can't see why he can't be it now in all honesty bar the fact that Elmo can play further forward as well as a defensive winger if needs be.

Whatever happens I'll remember him and his slide tackling fondly, he definitely seemed to have a real passion for the club it seemed to me.

Good luck to Freddy and I do hope he returns next season. Elmo is out of contract I believe so unless Deano think Kaine Kessler is ready to step up we'll need a back up rb to Cash and I don't see why he shouldn't be it. Can't see why he can't be it now in all honesty bar the fact that Elmo can play further forward as well as a defensive winger if needs be.

Whatever happens I'll remember him and his slide tackling fondly, he definitely seemed to have a real passion for the club it seemed to me.

I don't think Deano rates him too highly, I also don't think he is capable of playing as disciplined as Cash does. That could be Dean's fault though. I think Freddie suited us when we were a bit more gung-ho but his positional sense and awareness is nowhere near Cashs level. He's what I consider a recovery defender, he has to make a lot of recovery challenges because he gets caught out a lot.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. It wouldn't surprise for Elmo to get an extension and Freddie to be sold or loaned again. Having said that it seemed more like the club were keen to get him playing ball again whether thats to get him in the shop window or continue his development, who knows.

Kessler is very young and with the Dean is operating the best thing for him is to be out on loan. Not picking up 10 mins everything 5 games.

I don't think Deano rates him too highly, I also don't think he is capable of playing as disciplined as Cash does. That could be Dean's fault though. I think Freddie suited us when we were a bit more gung-ho but his positional sense and awareness is nowhere near Cashs level. He's what I consider a recovery defender, he has to make a lot of recovery challenges because he gets caught out a lot.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. It wouldn't surprise for Elmo to get an extension and Freddie to be sold or loaned again. Having said that it seemed more like the club were keen to get him playing ball again whether thats to get him in the shop window or continue his development, who knows.

Kessler is very young and with the Dean is operating the best thing for him is to be out on loan. Not picking up 10 mins everything 5 games.
I don't think Guilbert will be back. We'll either sign someone new to compete with Cash or Elmo will get another year as emergency cover.

I always liked Freddy. There is something inspirational about seeing a full back sprinting up the pitch. Still, he's probably not PL quality. I think he knows that himself. Cash is a big upgrade.

I don't think Guilbert will be back. We'll either sign someone new to compete with Cash or Elmo will get another year as emergency cover.

Another one we'll have to give away because of his wages but you are right it's a one-way ticket, he's not an 18 year old out to get experience he's a senior pro.

Kane Kesler is coming through if these kids are any good they will make the bench as cover for Cash and may even be better than him in a couple of years. Or they will fall by the wayside and the next one will come along. If we buy a right back it will be to replace Cash not cover him.

I don't see us signing "back up " players Guilbert is a backup player but he wants to play fair enough he could just take the money and sit on the ebnch. Youngsters will happily sit on the bench for a season or two and get the odd game here and there

Another one we'll have to give away because of his wages but you are right it's a one-way ticket, he's not an 18 year old out to get experience he's a senior pro.

Kane Kesler is coming through if these kids are any good they will make the bench as cover for Cash and may even be better than him in a couple of years. Or they will fall by the wayside and the next one will come along. If we buy a right back it will be to replace Cash not cover him.

I don't see us signing "back up " players Guilbert is a backup player but he wants to play fair enough he could just take the money and sit on the ebnch. Youngsters will happily sit on the bench for a season or two and get the odd game here and there
Kids don't take a place in the squad or much in wages. Signing some competition for Cash and Targett is important, its crucial if we manage to qualify for Europe. Form is temporary and both players will dip at some point. Injuries happen and so do suspensions, especially the way Cash likes to play.

Targett coming off against Man City arguably cost us the game. I like Elmo as I think he can do a job when called upon, but if Cash is out for three or four games, can we trust a 33 year old right back to run up and down the flank for 90 minutes game after game?

Kids don't take a place in the squad or much in wages. Signing some competition for Cash and Targett is important, its crucial if we manage to qualify for Europe. Form is temporary and both players will dip at some point. Injuries happen and so do suspensions, especially the way Cash likes to play.

Targett coming off against Man City arguably cost us the game. I like Elmo as I think he can do a job when called upon, but if Cash is out for three or four games, can we trust a 33 year old right back to run up and down the flank for 90 minutes game after game?

Elmo is more than capable of playing far more so than Taylor who is a timid wreck of a player.
I don't think we are Man City , Chelsea or Man Utd (Even utd play a few kids) who have two first teams.
Liverpool are playing kids and Midfielders in defence because they don't have 2 first teams either and they are Champions and in the CL most seasons.

I don't think we are in a position where we can keep players who have been used to playing every week happy on our bench and we aren't buying has been any more. So we need to bring in some u23's who are training with the first team now.
If we get long term injuries like Heaton or Wesley we bring in a new first-team player obviously.

In the Arsenal game at the end of last season he was terrific in the way he kept Aubameyang in his pocket. Top performance. Hope he stays. I think he's still developing as a player and has got a lot to offer.

His problem is Cash's current form. Would be less of a problem if DS could see his way to rotating a bit more.

Still not sure what he has done wrong . Didn’t seem any worse than most last season. Surely he deserves a crack in a better side like many have had this season.
Bit mystifying really.

Yup, I was delighted with Cash's signing as I was convinced he'd step up and provide cover in mid and right back, but his form has surprised me but early doors I wasn't sure why he was being favoured over Freddy or Elmo.

Yup, I was delighted with Cash's signing as I was convinced he'd step up and provide cover in mid and right back, but his form has surprised me but early doors I wasn't sure why he was being favoured over Freddy or Elmo.

Much as like Elmo his time is at an end with us and I’d be quite happy with Cash and Freddie as RB choices.

Agree on Elmo, just thought he'd get more time, particularly at RM this season purely for his experience (much as I thought Cash's introduction would see Freddy at RB an Cash RM with them swapping) to shore us up at points and give more of an attacking twist is other games.

With all due respect to Elmo, but I'm shitting myself with the thought of him facing Harvey Barnes.

Freddie should never of been 'pushed out' on loan, and I do mean pushed out!