The Frederic Guilbert Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Frederic Guilbert Thread

Depends on whether he's improved enough to seriously challenge Cash.
That'll be a no then, he was 3rd choice behind Elmo who was only ever going to play if Cash couldn't. We have Kesler coming through and held in high regard, so I'm thinking bye-bye Fred. One fist pump against Arsenal seems to have turned him into some sort of cult figure. We are looking to challenge the top we need top players and he will never be that

Yeah, Freddie's another of those players who seems to have gotten better with every game he hasn't played.

No. Not at all. I have consistently said I do not know what it is he has done so wrong and have asked others who have stated he is not good enough to name specific things. Never have had it answered . It’s just generic stuff you could also say about Cash.

No. Not at all. I have consistently said I do not know what it is he has done so wrong and have asked others who have stated he is not good enough to name specific things. Never have had it answered . It’s just generic stuff you could also say about Cash.
Not really. Freddie was excellent going forward but so often at the wrong end of the pitch chasing shadows that first season back in one of the worst defences in the league. I'm not saying he couldn't have improved given the game time but Cash was a mainstay of, for long stretches of last season, one of the best defences in the league.

I do suspect however that something has gone on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Whose fault it is we'll never know but the manager always wins, at least at functioning clubs they do.

Smith obviously doesn't rate him, thats obvious

Not really. Freddie was excellent going forward but so often at the wrong end of the pitch chasing shadows that first season back in one of the worst defences in the league. I'm not saying he couldn't have improved given the game time but Cash was a mainstay of, for long stretches of last season, one of the best defences in the league.

I do suspect however that something has gone on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Whose fault it is we'll never know but the manager always wins, at least at functioning clubs they do.

Looked like he didn't want to be at the club when he scored against Barrow/
perhaps he should have done a little fist pump, just to show how committed he is , it worked in the half-game he played after lockdown.
Seriously he doesn't want to be here unless he's the first choice and that's never happening for whatever reason

Agreed, overall there's little separating the two players IMO.

the fist pump game, he's dining out on recovering his own fuck up against Arsenal
He played 25 games or so for us and wasn’t that bad. Not saying he was incredible but then I don’t think Cash is, either. Cash let us down several times last seasons giving away penalties and that red vs Man City was one of the most pathetic displays I’ve seen from a villa player. If certain other players (e.g. El Ghazi) got themselves deliberately sent off because they were playing shit and wanted to give up you’d never hear the end of it (and perhaps rightly so).

Not dissing Cash but whatever is said I still think there is little difference. Very similar players in their strengths and weaknesses. Strange that Deano doesn't fancy him.as he signed him. However, he is 26 now so time ticking on for him.

Last edited:
Not dissing Cash but whatever is said I still think there is little difference. Very similar players in their strengths and weaknesses. Strange that Deano doesn't fancy him.as he signed him. However, he is 26 now so time ticking on for him.

Next you'll be telling me you've only been joking about Davis all this time.

I see a big difference between Cash and Freddie. Freddie had about one game that I witnessed where I can remember thinking this guy is good and that was Everton at home two years ago. He’s one of those players I really want to do well given how respectful he was when he joined, but he’s probably in the Engels category of ability which is below where we want to be.

He’s not great defensively, and he doesn’t seem to be able use his biggest attribute which is his pace, that effectively.

Cash on the other hand is a very solid player, although he’s let us down a few times he is generally good defensively and good going forward - he has a nice balance. I think he’s settled into the premier league really well and doesn’t look out of place at all.

I see a big difference between Cash and Freddie. Freddie had about one game that I witnessed where I can remember thinking this guy is good and that was Everton at home two years ago. He’s one of those players I really want to do well given how respectful he was when he joined, but he’s probably in the Engels category of ability which is below where we want to be.

He’s not great defensively, and he doesn’t seem to be able use his biggest attribute which is his pace, that effectively.

Cash on the other hand is a very solid player, although he’s let us down a few times he is generally good defensively and good going forward - he has a nice balance. I think he’s settled into the premier league really well and doesn’t look out of place at all.
Great minds the Everton at the home game I actually said to my lad wow what a game Guilbert had tonight, even Wesley did well that game though and lets be honest we were all pretty hyped up for the new PL season. It went downhill after that

Freddie is definitely a trier which I think is why fans like him. He wears his heart on his sleeve gives 100% and says all the right things in social media.

To me it speaks volumes when a player like that is consistently over looked. It's gotta be based on pure ability. He just doesn't do what Dean wants on the pitch.

No conspiracy, I just don't think he's a top half Premier league player. I do like him though.

I thought it was well known that Smith and Freddie had a fallout, if I’m honest I can’t judge him, but if the likes of Nakamba, El Ghazi, Hourihane, Davis have chance after chance to prove themselves it’s only right that Freddie gets a clean slate and a fair shot, even if that’s coming off the bench with 20 minutes left.

Think it’d be a mistake letting him go this season, probably the best thing for him but with the amount of injuries we’re racking up and we haven’t even got the likes of Kessler to call upon for me he needs to stay.

Like Freddie’s attitude on the pitch, gives his all despite defensive deficiencies but Smith clearly doesn’t rate him as highly as he does Matt Cash. As ‘57 alluded to above, Freddie’s lack of a celebration when he scored last week said a lot as to where his mind was at…and it certainly wasn’t in remaining at Villa! Possibly the most miserable I’ve seen anyone look after scoring a goal so only one outcome I guess. He wants to play regularly and can’t blame him wanting a move away.

Like Freddie’s attitude on the pitch, gives his all despite defensive deficiencies but Smith clearly doesn’t rate him as highly as he does Matt Cash. As ‘57 alluded to above, Freddie’s lack of a celebration when he scored last week said a lot as to where his mind was at…and it certainly wasn’t in remaining at Villa! Possibly the most miserable I’ve seen anyone look after scoring a goal so only one outcome I guess. He wants to play regularly and can’t blame him wanting a move away.
probably traumatised by that coach trip to Barrow and the prospect of the return journey aswell