The Formula 1 Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

The Formula 1 Thread

Sorry, not an F1 fan and I get carrying less fuel has an advantage but couldn't you also argue Vettal burnt more fuel by driving harder here?

The counter is, ahead of the race how would he know how hard was necessary etc and it would then be an issue for pitting?

Just seems a bit bizarre from the outside.

They're supposed to err on the side of caution. They know exactly how much fuel they burn. I suppose they fuelled for a mid-field battle, stuck in traffic, not a fight for first place, so maybe that's where they went wrong?

They're supposed to err on the side of caution. They know exactly how much fuel they burn. I suppose they fuelled for a mid-field battle, stuck in traffic, not a fight for first place, so maybe that's where they went wrong?

As said not a fan lol Just seems weird, surely there's a better way for checking for fuel spiking.

But even as not a fan, the stuck in traffic crack deserves a :Fingers:

The counter is, ahead of the race how would he know how hard was necessary etc and it would then be an issue for pitting?

Just seems a bit bizarre from the outside.
They all have to start with (I think) 150kg of fuel on board and they can calculate all the various permutations to still end with at least 1 litre in the tank at the end.

So unless he had some kind of slow fuel leak, they must have under-fuelled him, knowingly or otherwise.

It's tough (and another ridiculously obscure FIA regulation) but there you go.

They all have to start with (I think) 150kg of fuel on board and they can calculate all the various permutations to still end with at least 1 litre in the tank at the end.

So unless he had some kind of slow fuel leak, they must have under-fuelled him, knowingly or otherwise.

It's tough (and another ridiculously obscure FIA regulation) but there you go.

It's why I went with driving harder than expected as presumably every driver has an expected position, but if getting further ahead opens up as an opportunity you push harder for it.

Seems such a daft cheat as it's so bloody obvious as a cheat in some ways, so I went the other way.

The opposite of that is that they were driving in the wet, slower than expected, then behind the safety car, for 3 laps, so that would have saved fuel.

This is all a bit weird.

Otmar Szafnauer and technical director Andrew Green said there was 1.44 litres left in the car, but they were unable to extract it.
That sounds far more likely than having only 330ml left.

Although didn't Vettel park the car after taking the flag and walk back to the pits at some point? Suggests he was running on fumes at that stage.

Anyway, was a superb drive by him and much as I don't like him, he can consider himself most unfortunate.