The Formula 1 Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Formula 1 Thread

Of course Melon, and sounds great Heath. But as races go (not the experience which I am sure is head and shoulders above the others) it is poor!

Yeah, Monaco is Monaco. The Grand Prix is just icing on the cake. I won the trip, so have no idea how much it cost.

I know there are better races, but it is still iconic.

They do an historical Grand Prix show every two years. Now, that I would like to go and see.

That's harsh on Vettel. He was fighting the car as he re-joined the track it seemed to me. Can't see how he could have turned and avoid blocking unless he slammed on the brakes which wouldn't have been wise either.

That's harsh on Vettel. He was fighting the car as he re-joined the track it seemed to me. Can't see how he could have turned and avoid blocking unless he slammed on the brakes which wouldn't have been wise either.

But on coming back onto the track he almost sent Hamilton into the wall as Hamilton was in a passing position.

It's a tough one depending on which way you look at it, but it's just another example of Vettel not being able to sometimes control his car when he is under pressure.

I was looking at his steering wheel. He was still fighting the car as he was on the track Strictly speaking he broke the rule. But he had no control of the car and he can't slam the brakes as that would be more dangerous.

His fault he had no control or the car but that's not the issue here when interpreting this rule .

Just disappointed as it was building to a good finish. I'm with Lewis but the season needed a Ferrari win . Still great drama post race which was funny and very awkward !

Vettel has caused a few incidents and got away with it. So have little sympathy. Looked a close call and thought the stewards would err on the side of racing incident but he did make a mistake and nearly rammed Lewis off in trying to correct it. But yes. Did look a harsh one.

Few seasons back though, was it the night race?, he did do the dirty to stop another driver if my addled memory is serving me just about right.

He would have been saying the opposite if Hamilton had done the same.

At least he didn't blame Lewis and said to the crowd they shouldn't be booing Lewis

Harsh but fair. Vettel even said on the radio he had nowhere to go otherwise Hamilton would have passed him.

Er, yes mate, that's what might happen if you lose control and take your car off the track.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for Vettel. And I would feel the same if it had been Hamilton going off piste in the same way.

Vettel got no sympathy from Nico Rosberg today either.
Sounds like they have history .

Separating the opinion of Vettel and his previous history from the incident in isolation. I still think it's wrong. Technically correct but doesn't take into account he was fighting the car at 100 mph across the grass into a corner where he couldn't turn at the angle he was going without drastic braking.

Edit:- just read a column by Joleon Palmer on BBC sport which explains the ruling better than anyone did on Sky last night. So kind of see how stewards hands were tied but seems discretion is not allowed .

Last edited:
This:

It's a defensive instinct to try and hold your position in a moment of panic.

Which is basically what Vettel said on his radio - "I had to take that line or he would have passed me" or words to that effect.

It's unfortunate for Vettel (and the Championship) but Plamer's column totally nails it. As said, I would have said the same if it were Hamilton who'd gone off piste.

Much as I detest Vettel, he was (almost) unbeatable this weekend. Hopefully he or Leclerc can win a few of the next GPs and make a fight of it.

Don't come on here much and I haven't been to an F1 GP since the late 80's when our Nige ruled but I have to say Lewis must be the best of all time or soon will be .
I said this when I was in the office at work a few Months ago , got ripped into by a couple of people who to my knowledge have no real interest in motor racing.
Apparently Lewis is an arrogant big headed so and so.

My reply was so would you be if you were the best in the world .

What is it with Brits , we get a world champion and we have to slag him off , no matter what sport it seems to be .

Long may he continue to beat Vettel , I love it!

So sad how low they have sunk. They were, along with McLaren, bossing it in the 80s when I started watching. And now? Shambles.

Yes. Likewise.

And further more for me is that their current HQ is 10 mins from where I live as was their old one . So they really are my team to watch. My mum used to work with someone who's hubby worked at the old factory and we went round in the heyday and I was able to sit in Mansells Red 5 . Happy days .

Also remember going past after Senna died and all the tributes on the gates .

Totally agree 57. I think he's a machine. Unbelievable driver. And same as you, can't understand the haters. He's the best in the world. He's always nice when interviewed thanking the fans etc.

Maybe they don't understand the difference between self assurance / confidence and arrogance. They're probably not good at anything apart from slagging off greats like Lewis?!

I think some don't like the fact he's flash, has earrings, tattoos etc.