The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 59 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

I am 100% sure I would be in a far bigger brain ache mess if I hadn't done the training - when possible - over the years. And definitely forcing my legs to do what I wanted them to do (walk!) and pushing them to extremes at times (other times I can't do 5 mins without problems) means I've not ended up in a right two-and-eight.

Right, I'm newly diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. In fact so new they haven't even given me metformin yet.
I'm doing something about it myself, an 8-week blood sugar diet of 800cals a day and very few carbs, following a book written by Dr Clare Bailey.
Apparently, the average weight loss is 14kg in 8 weeks I've been doing it since last weekend and so far so good.
I've managed to stick to around 800/900 calls a day and steer clear of bread Rice spuds pasta and all the usual fillers.

I've lost 4kg already I know this is mainly water and I don't expect to lose that every week but it's really encouraged me to keep going.

I'm now 10kg heavier than when I finished work 2.5 years ago. which all things considered I'm not surprised by

Good luck Villan, I have no doubt with a positive mindset, you can do this. You NEED TO DO THIS. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and 'full' ... And you can fill up on veg and loads of salad, for a low calories cost!

Good luck Villan, I have no doubt with a positive mindset, you can do this. You NEED TO DO THIS. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and 'full' ... And you can fill up on veg and loads of salad, for a low calories cost!
Yep I'm trying to turn it into a hobby. The app Samsung Health on my note 9 is excellent for recording calories etc. Hopefully after 8 weeks I'll be used to not eating bread and potatoes and other stuff . I'm very stubborn once I set my mind to something.
So far today I've had 3 cups of tea with a minimum of skimmed milk. A poached egg, a bacon medallion, and 2 spoons of baked beans. About 200 cals. I'm aiming for 300 cals for lunch and the same for dinner. Taking it to about 800ish.
I realise after 8 weeks I won't be able to stay on such low intake but by then I'll be used to smaller meals

Yeah, it is amazing how we can train our minds, as you say, not sustainable but have seen articles and a programme on this for diabetes and certainly seems to work. Try to eat slowly and think about what you are eating, chew it loads to get the taste, eat whilst not watching tv or reading, so you are fully concentrating on enjoying the food as well.

Another Kg has gone, not sure where they go but it's gone. I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day but every day I'm losing 0.2kg, There or thereabouts!
I will eventually hit the wall where I have to start walking more to achieve the same results but until then I'm more than happy with the way it's going.

Spoke to the Doctor on the phone yesterday and she is giving me 3 months without starting any diabetic medication to try and reverse the diabetes score.

So far so good

edit my diabetes score is 57 (ironic), I need to be between 25 and 41, so ideally mid 30's . I have no idea if that is achievable by diet alone

Last edited:
Another Kg has gone, not sure where they go but it's gone. I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day but every day I'm losing 0.2kg, There or thereabouts!
I will eventually hit the wall where I have to start walking more to achieve the same results but until then I'm more than happy with the way it's going.

Spoke to the Doctor on the phone yesterday and she is giving me 3 months without starting any diabetic medication to try and reverse the diabetes score.

So far so good

Have you tried skateboarding?. It’s quite the thing now due to our Olympic success.

I've lost 2.6Kg or 5.73lbs if you prefer in 7 days without any extra exercise at all. This is quite brilliant for me and has given me hope I can keep it up. Over 6 KG so far in a couple of weeks .
I'm now recording my weight on the calendar and will start a Google doc later to keep easy track of it.

Bit of a bummer checking back on my medical record I'm still 5kg heavier than I was when I started my last diet in 2018 . Which was a bit of a shock.

I'm looking to extend this 800/900 cals a day for 12 weeks rather than 8 as my body is big enough to stand this loss for many weeks yet. My mind is set even losing Grealish hasn't caused me to comfort eat.. Punch a few walls but not comfort eat!

I've lost 2.6Kg or 5.73lbs if you prefer in 7 days without any extra exercise at all. This is quite brilliant for me and has given me hope I can keep it up. Over 6 KG so far in a couple of weeks .
I'm now recording my weight on the calendar and will start a Google doc later to keep easy track of it.

Bit of a bummer checking back on my medical record I'm still 5kg heavier than I was when I started my last diet in 2018 . Which was a bit of a shock.

I'm looking to extend this 800/900 cals a day for 12 weeks rather than 8 as my body is big enough to stand this loss for many weeks yet. My mind is set even losing Grealish hasn't caused me to comfort eat.. Punch a few walls but not comfort eat!

Nice one .:clap:

Well done so far, but I am a little worried about you from what you write. You say without any exercise at all, which if true, I would say some light exercise might benefit you even more, and lead to healthier weight loss?

Even a walk, or some light chair aerobics, done for a few minutes several times a week has shown to have exponential effects.

Those light dumbbells are great to just do a quick 5 minutes, now and then.

Keep going with the diet, and well done, though. At least you've taken ownership.

Last edited:
Agree totally heathfield, but didn't want to sound like I was being demotivating to 57. But yes, well put!

I've got half a stone off, it crept on, hardly surprising, after the op and the fact I've been forced to be so inactive. So glad that I've focussed again and lost that at least, but am really missing my training.

Well done so far, but I am a little worried about you from what you write. You say without any exercise at all, which if true, I would say some light exercise might benefit you even more, and lead to healthier weight loss?

Even a walk, or some light chair aerobics, done for a few minutes several times a week has shown to have exponential effects.

Those light dumbbells are great to just do a quick 5 minutes, now and then.

Keep going with the diet, and well done, though. At least you've taken ownership.

Good point well made Heath . Totally agree.

another 1.5kg of me has vanished.

Now my plan is once I have to up the calories as I can't live on 800 forever, then I start walking more to continue the same 1kg+ a week loss. If I do it now I'll lose too much too quickly and want to eat more now as I'll come back starving,. I'm losing about 14,000 calories a week without doing a fat lot other than using willpower.

0.8kg gone this week, I think my body is now doing what it does very well storing what little food it's getting. Losing weight is a long game and it's still going down just not as fast as I would like but at a recommended level of about 2lbs a week.

This is as tough for me as anyone giving up fags or booze or gambling. Having a thyroid that doesn't function is also making it more difficult, as is the fact we all need to eat, it's not as if you can do without food.
Imagine if you could select which fags to smoke or what vodka to drink and you'd or just bet on horses be ok

0.8kg gone this week, I think my body is now doing what it does very well storing what little food it's getting. Losing weight is a long game and it's still going down just not as fast as I would like but at a recommended level of about 2lbs a week.

This is as tough for me as anyone giving up fags or booze or gambling. Having a thyroid that doesn't function is also making it more difficult, as is the fact we all need to eat, it's not as if you can do without food.
Imagine if you could select which fags to smoke or what vodka to drink and you'd or just bet on horses be ok

Well done. Won't be long before I have you out running.