The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 57 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

It is certainly a difficult one. If you look OK, then people do make assumptions. Like you, I push, and people see that and think I'm fine. Then they are surprised when I disappear for three days to recover.

I actually raised the issue with my Neurologist last time I saw her. My family are the worst, never letting up on trying to make me do things. She said to just be honest, but I've done that, and they just think I'm joking, or exaggerating. I am worried the next step is me getting angry, and saying something to them I can't take back.

Any advice from your experiences would be gratefully received. I still haven't found the right balance.

Any advice from your experiences would be gratefully received. I still haven't found the right balance.

Advice on which aspect heathfield?

Many of my family have come to respect me enough not to make stupid suggestions anymore. At times I found it heartbreaking the second guessing and the 'do this, do that' crap. I have pointed out to family, friends and just people in general, the 'doing' quite often is simply getting out of bed. Or like today, a 3 minute walk which took me a good 10 minutes to do. And those giving me advice are nowhere near as strong as I am - not being big headed, it is just what it is.

But yes, I totally get your frustration. You say you've been out for a cycle and they will receive it as 'oh that is lovely, he is better'.

That isn't the point. It isn't about being better. It is about fighting it as much as you can and making the best of the 'good' days (which aren't normal days) and then resting up on the days where there isn't the choice.

And that is the rub.

THERE IS NOT THE CHOICE.

As said, my family get it now, and get if they give me advice, I'd just walk out. To be fair, dad is of an age now where his body is slowing down, so he can now see what that is like. Mom has had some strokes so she gets what brain damage is like (although to be fair, mom was always understanding really)

I think my main 'problem' is I am the sort who talks to others about their problems, but when I try do that occasionally, it seems to alarm people or they will try to find solutions. There aren't solutions, it is a brain condition and brain damage. You just need someone to listen sometimes. Nothing else is required.

A good example is me saying I am bored stiff at the moment, as I just mostly get up, sit down, listen to music, play around on the computer/doing the forums etc, or watch tv.

So some would then think to give advice ... do this, do that, try this, try that.

No. The reason I am bored stiff is there aren't any other options other than to just sit, as still as possible, with my feet up. That is what the brain is requiring.

If I was fit, I would never be bored, you sound like the same sort, as there is so much to do out there. Hence my get up, get out, live.

Re-reading your post, think you mean advice on that.

It is so difficult isn't it?

Print off that meme (or whatever it is) and maybe print off my post. And tell them that you don't require anything other than the respect to understand you do the best you can with the problems you have, and that you wouldn't be under a neurologist, if there wasn't a problem.

Some great points there.

One of the best is that there is no solution. It can't be fixed.

Like you say, they see the cycle rides as a sign of me getting better. They aren't. They are part of my survival. If I don't do them, I get fat and unhealthy, on top of the other problems. It is a straight choice between them and going out to the pub for dinner. The bike rides win.

My sister is the worst. As nurse I expect some understanding, but to her, she's just seen so much worse in A&E. The problem is, that comes back to what she's seen as being on the outside, not the inside. She can't understand why I don't want to go drinking until 2 in the morning with her. It's so frustrating, made all the worse by the fact she actually came with me to see the Neurologist.

As I say, I am worried I am just going to blow up one day, and storm out. I am fighting it so hard, on so many occasions.

Some great points there.

One of the best is that there is no solution. It can't be fixed.

Like you say, they see the cycle rides as a sign of me getting better. They aren't. They are part of my survival. If I don't do them, I get fat and unhealthy, on top of the other problems. It is a straight choice between them and going out to the pub for dinner. The bike rides win.

My sister is the worst. As nurse I expect some understanding, but to her, she's just seen so much worse in A&E. The problem is, that comes back to what she's seen as being on the outside, not the inside. She can't understand why I don't want to go drinking until 2 in the morning with her. It's so frustrating, made all the worse by the fact she actually came with me to see the Neurologist.

As I say, I am worried I am just going to blow up one day, and storm out. I am fighting it so hard, on so many occasions.

Some people don't want to see though that is the problem. And I have found an awful lot of nurses and other people in the medical profession, to be the very worst, I've met all sorts and some of them are beyond my comprehension. And you know full well many/most of them, would do it in their pants if they put up with half as much. I find it very far from the caring profession for a good few and I have enough experience! Not all, obviously.

You would hope she would know better, but maybe you don't fulfil what she thinks SHE needs, a brother to get drunk with? Maybe (not talking about just you and yours here) they find it too much to admit someone they love is so poorly, ill or suffering because that is what they face in their day job, so can't stand to think of it in their own lives as well?

I have no answers really, I always tried to see if from the other side but rarely could as I know when I come across people struggling, I just want to help really and sometimes you just have to admit to others, you don't actually know what that help is. I go into this in my book in several places, trying to plead with people to not be cowards and hide from these situations, but actually just be honest with the person suffering. 'I don't know what to say or do, but I want to say or do something!'

Instead of blowing, maybe the simple sentence, 'I am not sure you realise how much you are hurting me..' might wake them up. And remove yourself from the situation. Or put it down in letter form without any accusations, but just this is what I have, this is what I put up with, this is what I need - which is just not to be judged and not to be told what to do.

Trouble is nothing works unless the person on the other end is actually willing to listen.

I know my mates back in the day were so bad, it ripped me apart. I totally moved areas in the end and thought I'd never do anything to meet anyone again - it did make dealing with the new me (after the brain op) so much harder.

Not just because of covid, but NHS has revealed there were over 1 million hospital addmisions last year due directly to people being obese.
Perhaps this is another problem that needs urgent attention.

They are bringing in some new laws relating to high fat and sugar promotions in supermarkets.

Massive issue, illustrated even more with them being high risk for the pandemic.

We've said in this thread a few times, the education on health, nutrition and fitness/sport is sadly lacking. Looks more than a ticking timebomb and the actions of limiting a few adverts re sugar will not even scratch the surface.

Given companies don't mind cheapening their recipes to save money, I fail to see why the Gov can't force them to remove the crap - there's a good portion that would still enjoy the taste, there's another portion who would experiment with sauces, herbs etc to tweak the taste and then there will absolutely be those who load salt etc on top.

Worst case it would still stop at least 50% from being forcefully fed the crap food doesn't actually need.

I know that hugely simplifies things, but shouldn't that be the starting point?

And, as said, proper education, and more easily accessible sports facilities. Takes time and money though, so won't happen sadly, they'd rather deal with the end result in hospitals.

And, as said, proper education, and more easily accessible sports facilities. Takes time and money though, so won't happen sadly, they'd rather deal with the end result in hospitals.

And yet only a third of the landowners (i.e mainly Local Authorities) have given the go ahead for Park Run to resume in June. A free 5k walk or run that does so much good and red tape from government is stopping it.

And yet only a third of the landowners (i.e mainly Local Authorities) have given the go ahead for Park Run to resume in June. A free 5k walk or run that does so much good and red tape from government is stopping it.

Yes had an email from Park run and seen the news reports.
How bizarre that the landowners are acting like this .

Couple of new programmes this week on nutrition/fitness

Thursday 9pm BBC One. What are we feeding our kids.

Is ultra processed food causing obesity in children and could it even be addictive? Dr Chrs van Tulleken investigates as he undergoes an experiment that shocks the scientists.

Thursday 9pm Channel 4. 21 day body turnaround

with Michael Mosley. Five volunteers put their lives in Michael's hands. Can food, fitness and lifestyle changes really transform their health and well-being in just three weeks?

Not sure why the M.Mosley ones seem to be getting more and more faddy. Why just three weeks? It might well develop. The last one he did was something like taking in just 800 calories... again, faddy.

Hopefully this is a decent one and looks to set people on the right path for life, not for a matter of weeks or months.

You might recognise him when it starts, as he's been in a lot.

The truth about..... series of different subjects was very good.

I don't think I watched them, whether right or wrong, I usually avoid C4/C5''s stuff like this as the ones I have watched previously were always sensational nonsense so it turned me off. Might have a back catalogue to catch up on if I like it lol

What are we feeding our kids? On BBC, as discussed above.

Have to say, as this is an area of interest to me, I'm not surprised, I always knew some foods were done to tap into the pleasure parts of our brains, same as drugs. But this shows clearly and has MRI proof.

It isn't just what we are feeding our kids, it is what people are feeding themselves.

Worth an hour of anyone's time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wgcd

We are second only to USA. Again, no surprise, because our Government and their leaders, are greedy, money hungry incompetents, in the pockets of the big food/drug companies.

Oh and Nestle, targeting the poor in Brazil. Same as some fag companies (and betting firms) do. :finger: