The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 56 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Lose the ned?

No, don't go hungry. Make sure it isn't thirst first. Have a good drink of water (whatever) and leave it 30 mins.

But no, you should be satiated (as opposed to just snacking for the taste)

Try a bit more protein, as opposed to things like crisps that won't really deal with the hunger. A good protein shake after the gym is a good idea.

What are you trying to achieve BB?

Ned Kelly.

I was fairly jacked before all of this covid shite and they started closing the gym and reopening the gym every few months. I'm going back there. I'm half thinking I should get myself a six pack while the going is still good.

Ah right, good to hear you are fired up. Still need a decent diet though and not to go hungry. Not sure what your daily calorie intake should be for height etc, but probably around the 2500. So try to eat a decent diet at around 2000 and you will still be in calorie deficit, but also, build muscle.

If the weight goes up, as long as your fat is going down, don't worry, you will be burning fat and putting on muscle (that helps burn fat more when on as well)

As said, up the protein if you find you are hungry a lot. Protein shakes are great and quick, bars when the go, but also simple things like tuna are cheap and a good standby for a protein hit.

Stay low simple carbs a while, or low starch really, bread, potatoes etc, you can have plenty of salad and veg.

But don't cut anything out to the point of craving, everything in moderation.

Ah right, good to hear you are fired up. Still need a decent diet though and not to go hungry. Not sure what your daily calorie intake should be for height etc, but probably around the 2500. So try to eat a decent diet at around 2000 and you will still be in calorie deficit, but also, build muscle.

If the weight goes up, as long as your fat is going down, don't worry, you will be burning fat and putting on muscle (that helps burn fat more when on as well)

As said, up the protein if you find you are hungry a lot. Protein shakes are great and quick, bars when the go, but also simple things like tuna are cheap and a good standby for a protein hit.

Stay low simple carbs a while, or low starch really, bread, potatoes etc, you can have plenty of salad and veg.

But don't cut anything out to the point of craving, everything in moderation.

The diet has alway been the tricky thing for me. I don't want to restrict what I eat. Even when I was playing football and very fit, I still had a bit of a belly. Counting calories is a step too far for me but I'll try to be more conscious in my choices.

How are you getting on yourself? Are you able to train much?

The diet has alway been the tricky thing for me. I don't want to restrict what I eat. Even when I was playing football and very fit, I still had a bit of a belly. Counting calories is a step too far for me but I'll try to be more conscious in my choices.

How are you getting on yourself? Are you able to train much?

Yeah, even a rough idea is good, don't mean over stress

I keep going to post about myself and keep stopping myself, because sadly, at the moment, it is all very negative and I like the positive 'fightback' stuff.

Things are just not good brain ache wise, so it is hours and hours of doing nothing basically. Tough one for me, as my mind wants to do what my brain/body won't when I'm like this.

:shrug:

Over 5 months since the op, it could still be sorting itself out but.......... And I was in the middle (well, I don't know what part of it really) of a big flair up, could well be more damage done by that.

Annoying, I don't really want for much in life, just a bit of training, a nice walk and meet up with friends every now and then!

Did my 5k yesterday in 25.25 mile splits were 7.53 8.15 and 8.26 , think I went off too fast !!!!

Anyway off for a nice steady 10 miler now.

Back in the gym again this morning. All going well although I'm getting a bit of a tweek in my right breast/peck/moob up near the shoulder. It doesn't stop me from lifting weights or anything. I assume I should just keep on keeping on and it will sort itself out, right?

Back in the gym again this morning. All going well although I'm getting a bit of a tweek in my right breast/peck/moob up near the shoulder. It doesn't stop me from lifting weights or anything. I assume I should just keep on keeping on and it will sort itself out, right?
Hawk (cobra kai) 'dont..... you know the rest. Lol

Depends. If its a pulled muscle then no. Dont exercise it.
If its just a bit sore from lactic acid build up or the muscles not being used to work then see quote above.

If it continues, it is worth having a massage or getting a physio to look. If it is very painful, rest it, it doesn't sound like you are describing doms (muscle soreness)

Thanks for posting that, J. It's like I always say to people, would you feel differently if my leg was in a cast?

As for my own progress, it's finally happening. I think I'm replacing the fast twitch muscle with some slow twitch. I can maintain full pressure with the legs for a huge amount of time, now. I used to have loads of power for a short period. I now seem to have good power for much longer time. My Quads also look slimmer, which is what long distance athletes tend to have.

I just wish the weather would improve, so I actually look forward to going out even more.

Last edited:
Yes must admit, I've never shared anything like that before, (especially social media) but it sums it up perfectly. At the moment I couldn't really look better, got good colour in my face, fairly slim (not put on too much weight with not training) and I'm in a total mess. People don't understand because it can't be seen. Only way I've ever been able to answer is 'the brain is inside my head, the nerves and what not are in the body not on the outside) but that image reflects perfectly how it feels, day in, day out!

To be fair, with the way I put my best foot forward, and usually go quiet when in a bad spell (I like the fightbacks and positivity stuff) I do get why people get confused. They might see things like Ben Nevis and/or the marathon and make assumptions it means I'm ok, or better. Nope, they are agony to do, and make me very ill after. Just I like pushing when I can, and like achieving. But really, I've done nothing (that I would like to do) since the marathon and that must have been 2018 or 2019 I would think.

Oh fuck, just looked, October 2017.

Hey ho!