The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 48 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Funny enough was thinking earlier on my run how really tough going it is where I go running in the lanes and fields around me at this time of year. Especially with the early wet winter we have had. Really leg sapping.

Yes the route I took tonight has 2 really long tough hills , and both were into the wind which made it extra hard on the legs.

With the ebike out of action I've had to resort to the Hybrid bike. 10 miles on Monday. 16 miles yesterday and 17 today.

Fewer miles, but quite a lot of calories burned in a shorter space of time. I felt great up to 12 miles today, but then felt the pressure in my head and a headache starting. This is why the ebike has been so good. I could just ease off and rely on the motor at this point.

Weather is awful for the next 2 days, so hopefully this will pass.

4 miles Saturday

10 miles Sunday in the snow - Was one of the most enjoyable runs I have done for a long time so quiet and peaceful for the first 6 miles or so. No issues with slipping until the end where the pavement had been walked on and the snow was becoming compacted.

5 miles this morning.

OK, so tried 20 miles on Monday, with the normal bike. Felt great. Loved it. That evening I was putting out dinner when a massive migraine hit. This is what happens.

Did 16 miles yesterday and today, and no problem. It seems this is my limit.

The good news is that my limit was less than 8 miles a year ago. I think a slow and steady increase will see the mileage increase again and again. That's the dream, anyway.

Bizarre how our bodies react isn't it? The great thing is you aren't giving in to it, you are listening (hard not to with that level of pain) and taking note.

I've - according to fitbit - done about 35 miles of walks (some slow, some short, some slightly longer, but none a proper hike) as well as steps in the house. Reading up, they over estimate by about 18% so works out this month about 26 or so miles. Still might not be accurate, not that bothered, even if amounts to 20 miles, that would be roughly what I managed in the entire 6 months before.

Two boxing sessions. Yesterday was a bit of an achy one, but that is fine, don't mind a bit of DOMS from weights and also, using my theragun and shockwave treatments so they have an impact as well.

Done first 5 odd weights sessions, they are advisedly and carefully done, obviously, and deadlifts are off the table right now.

My last fightback, was far harder, mentally, than this one seems to be. The last one I felt in a right state and was wondering for the first few sessions, if enough was enough. That feeling didn't last long and I was then getting into the best shape of my life when the last flair up then op turned up.

All in all, slowly slowly, but fairly pleased to at least be back and trying. The sitting on the sofa with absolutely no choice - and there seriously isn't a choice when the brain is having its say - is so mind bendingly difficult for someone who so wants to be active.

(Hence my, and I stand by it as correct rant in the tv thread about the awful way Cobra Kai treated the subject of disability!).

6 mile run with pooch done. Really hard going at the moment as everywhere is so sodden and in places impassable.
I have 2 places I go either side of the village but one of them now is just not doable

I spend longer cleaning up than being out .

Did I mention I am doing a charity event throughout February? I need to do 384km in the month. Why it's in km, and not miles, is beyond me.

Without the electric bike this is going to be tough. I can't make up extra miles if I miss too many days. I have got ahead a little this week, whilst the weather was OK, and have done 139km already.

There is hope, as my new motor may turn up next Friday, in which case I can do a 40 mile ride, and make up some mileage!!! Fingers crossed.

Very pleased with my progress, managed a good 35 minute boxing session yesterday, which is around and about the limit of what I do even at my best health.

Weights, starting on my low key routines but progressed this week, still got a lot of the strength from the last time of training, which has pleased me, albeit I'm not going nuts throwing big weights around, for obvious reasons (not that you should 'throw them around' anyway, obviously! LOL)

And getting good amount of steps in. My fitbit says 53.5miles for January, from what I have read, they over estimate by around 18% so that puts me to 44 miles. Even if it is half that, I'm good with that.

That's so good to hear, J. Barcelona was worth it, then???

Had to be done, even if only to stop the onslaught, help at least stop the degeneration.

How worth it, time will tell, still painful and still an interesting challenge re-mapping my system. Big gaps in memory, dropping things, pain at the base of the spine, but all in all, confident there wasn't a choice and like some of the early signs.

Just got to push now, without over pushing!

Rocket Ron my 72 year old friend did a 5k in 19.45 in the week. His fastest 5k for 2 years. !!!!!!!

That’s unbelievable, 72 years old!

I’m a millennial Darren Anderton football has ruined my legs, I’m between 25-26 mins for a 5km at the moment. Did a 10km yesterday groin popping in 52 mins, just had to get round been a while.

Does anyone have any magic potions or treatments for relaxing muscles after a run? I’m seized up for days after a big run.

I have tried bath salts before, thought it was a waste of money. Also invested in a ultrasound machine as I was getting pains very deep in the back of my calves - another waste of money probably!

Does anyone have any magic potions or treatments for relaxing muscles after a run? I’m seized up for days after a big run.

I have tried bath salts before, thought it was a waste of money. Also invested in a ultrasound machine as I was getting pains very deep in the back of my calves - another waste of money probably!

A foam roller. JF recommended one to me. Painful , but it does the trick.

I did a gentle 10 miler this morning by the way.