The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Anyone got knowledge /experience of treadmills for home use ?

Mrs M has decided she wants one. She wants to get back into exercise. The gym membership for her went when the kids came. She goes out walking with the pooch but running outside has never been for her like it is for me . And she has had hip problems since having kids so the less impact stress of a treadmill would suit. She doesn't want a cross trainer type thing or a bike either

Not my choice but keen to get one if she wants to get back into some training .

Looks like 500 odd quid will just about get you a decent lower mid range .

Yes. I used to have one. From memory you are about right in your price range. I had mine a few years back so things may have changed a little now.

An age old question Melon.

Seen people do articles saying treadmills are the devil incarnate, and others that they are the best thing since sliced bread. The truth, as always, is no doubt somewhere inbetween.

The main thing against them would be monotony. The main thing for them, would be they are a nice controlled thing, you decide speed, inclinde and whatever else.

Running outside is more challenging and I am quite sure many would agree, more interesting. But if your good lady is sure she wouldn't end up with £500 'thing' filling a room and not being used, it is a perfectly legit form of exercise and she could mix it up, do some high intensity sessions, some longer steady cardio, some fast, some slow, some on a higher incline etc.

Personally, I'd say she should try to mix things up. Get fit on the treadmill, but don't rule out going for a nice run outdoors at times as well to shake things up.

I'd also say, and I'm not a physio but........ she should mix things up. Do the same thing day in and day out and it might lead to some repetitive strain or whatever.

Last edited:

Mrs M has decided she wants one. She wants to get back into exercise. The gym membership for her went when the kids came. She goes out walking with the pooch but running outside has never been for her like it is for me . And she has had hip problems since having kids so the less impact stress of a treadmill would suit. She doesn't want a cross trainer type thing or a bike either

No actual experience with treadmills, but when I bought a cross trainer the rule seemed to be that the more you spent, the better they did get.

Unfortunately I don't think there are cheap options, but your £500 budget should do you alright.

Oh and yes, don't buy cheap, they would be - same as most exercise machines, cylces, rowers etc, jolty and not smooth, which can lead to frustruation and injury.

Fitness superstore I always find a decent company, had a lot through the years.

They have some half price Nordic. I believe, (you'll have to google and check) that they are amongst the top end (until you go to elite at least)

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.u...qZAhxTiVhGDwLFZp4jAVslxoCZ3wQAvD_BwE#limit=60

Thanks all.

An age old question Melon.

Seen people do articles saying treadmills are the devil incarnate, and others that they are the best thing since sliced bread. The truth, as always, is no doubt somewhere inbetween.

The main thing against them would be monotony. The main thing for them, would be they are a nice controlled thing, you decide speed, inclinde and whatever else.

Running outside is more challenging and I am quite sure many would agree, more interesting. But if your good lady is sure she wouldn't end up with £500 'thing' filling a room and not being used, it is a perfectly legit form of exercise and she could mix it up, do some high intensity sessions, some longer steady cardio, some fast, some slow, some on a higher incline etc.

Personally, I'd say she should try to mix things up. Get fit on the treadmill, but don't rule out going for a nice run outdoors at times as well to shake things up.

I'd also say, and I'm not a physio but........ she should mix things up. Do the same thing day in and day out and it might lead to some repetitive strain or whatever.

Yes. The monotony of a treadmill is not great. Having now switched from treadmill at the gym to running outside I wouldnt entertain going back but if there is one in the house then I would certainly use more so in the winter months . With the darker evenings I can't get out with pooch as much as I refuse to do road running with her on the lead as we are normally out in the fields and lanes.

For Mrs M its the flexibility of just going into the garage to use it and she isn't one to go out in the cold and wet to exercise and with her now working from home more it will be easier to fit into her daily life I think.

Be interesting to see how she gets on because the road running has caused her problems in the past so in theory a 'cushioned' belt should be better but as you say mixed reports.

I bought one because of running in the winter , but unless there was something good on the telly I found it a real grind else and eventually I thought I would rather get cold and wet and run outside.

JF may know better but if Mrs MD has hip problems perhaps some exercises to strengthen the area may help as well.

Snap. My mrs has just literally text me about same thing. Shes too embarrassed to jog outside. The ones ive seen dont go quick enough for me but would do for her as a beginner. I cant find anything decent under 500 either. Will keep you updated with my search. The quickest ones ive seen for that price go to 16kmph.
There is one i saw on amazon that links to the internet and you compete with people online but ive only been looking for an hour.

It is a shame people get embarrassed, I always look at clearly unfit people cycling or jogging, and feel like applauding them for doing something. But - and in the gym especially - you get the dickheads who are fit thinking they can laugh at these fine folks.

I bought one because of running in the winter , but unless there was something good on the telly I found it a real grind else and eventually I thought I would rather get cold and wet and run outside.

JF may know better but if Mrs MD has hip problems perhaps some exercises to strengthen the area may help as well.

Yes, I'd go to a sports physio (I have a good one to recommend in the Bromsgrove area, albeit weird times with COVID for practices at the moment) who treats a lot of athletes/runners.

As you know sirdennis, you saw benefits of doing some kettlebell and non running exercises to help your running. I know for a fact I could never have got up Ben Nevis (it was a close thing for me regardless) without the weight training I'd done leg wise.

But yes, I'd at the very least look up some stretches for the hips and as said, if you can, get to a sports physio or a chiropractic to make sure the hips are lined up ok and if not, work on that as you introduce running.

Thanks all.

Yes. The monotony of a treadmill is not great. Having now switched from treadmill at the gym to running outside I wouldnt entertain going back but if there is one in the house then I would certainly use more so in the winter months . With the darker evenings I can't get out with pooch as much as I refuse to do road running with her on the lead as we are normally out in the fields and lanes.

For Mrs M its the flexibility of just going into the garage to use it and she isn't one to go out in the cold and wet to exercise and with her now working from home more it will be easier to fit into her daily life I think.

Be interesting to see how she gets on because the road running has caused her problems in the past so in theory a 'cushioned' belt should be better but as you say mixed reports.

Any way to get a tv in front of the machine so she has something else to focus on?

Also, good to point out, especially if she (anyone) does some high intensity AND NOT UNTIL A BIT OF BASE FITNESS IS BUILT PLEASE (Joe Fucking Wicks and his shite, throwing people straight into the deep end is sooooo wrong) you can do it in a few short burts through the day, as opposed to torturing yourself from the get go.

Depends on the person, but a fixed schedule is often best, if not, it is so easy to keep putting it off and then thinking 'I'll do it tomorrow instead'.

Also not bad to note for people, if you or your partner isn't feeling up to jogging (which can knacker the knees, especially if you are somewhat rotund!) speed walking / marching is an excellent excercise and then as you build fitness, you can do 30 seconds jogging, 30 seconds speed walking and on and on ...

Joe wicks pisses me off.
Apparently so inspirational and i just see a weedy bloke who does pathetic work outs. Thats just me. Probably inspirational for some but for me he is a joke.

Yeah im the same Fear. Anyone trying to get fit needs to be given a guard of honour and any twat looking down on them needs to be hit in the temple with a dumbell.

It's a bit psychological now with Mrs M hence she won't pound the streets running. About 5 years ago she was in agony one xmas with her hip/back and some sort of spasm . Actually vomited due to the pain and she said it was worse than giving birth to the kids . I had to carry her out of the house into the car and after going to minor injury A and E they patient transported her that night to full A and E because she couldn't move. She had some physio and has had nothing further since but she put it down to at the time to doing exercise classes such as Zumba and the various twisting and turning etc involved . So has steered clear since and has just done the dog walking . We have done some pretty long walks aswell so i think as advised walking building up to straight running on the treadmill will be ok in terms of her back/hip.

I can sympathise as I gave up football because of my back. The twisting and turning was a killer. I am ok going in a straight line, basically!.

Yup. Could easily have been a trapped nerve or whatever. Agony. Chiro checking alignment or as said a sports physio. Not the NHS we have five minutes (not their fault) is a good investment before embarking on exercise (apart from some walks and upping the pace) in my very humble.

Did a 9 miler today at lunchtime.
Good god it was warm. Loved getting that sweat up but I wasn't breaking any personal best that's for sure . Didnt take pooch obviously .

They have harvested all the fields this last couple of weeks now where I run . Collecting all the hay bales today. Sure sign the seasons are coming to a change. Damn ! . Sad times ahead !

Yes. Basically I can only run in straight lines , I couldn't play regular cricket now with my knee.

Good effort today MD I struggle running in the heat , 4 miles was enough for me this morning.

Mind you we have a 10 miles planned for tomorrow.

Yes. Basically I can only run in straight lines , I couldn't play regular cricket now with my knee.

Good effort today MD I struggle running in the heat , 4 miles was enough for me this morning.

Mind you we have a 10 miles planned for tomorrow.

Yes I got a bit cocky a few weeks ago trying reverse weighted lunges, my knees then reminded me why I no longer do reverse weighted lunges. Knees made a very forceful argument in fact, and lesson was well and truly learned. I shouldn't have had to learn (re-learn) said lesson to be fair ! LOL

We were supposed to be doing a 10 miler this morning but most of us weren't feeling it at all so settled on a 10k. Still muggy so it was a wise decision I think.

Im really starting to struggle with keeping the work outs going at present. Since 26th june ive had 5 days off, rest of the time its been 12 hour days. Im still doing a 45 minute high intensity work out every other day but god it is a real struggle at present. I did one today and i just couldnt get into it. I finished it but normally after 10mins im pumped and up for it. Not today. Flat, lacking energy and did not enjoy it one bit which for me is strange.
The light at the end of the tunnel is that in a week i will be going down to working 4 days a week constant with a bit of adhock work in between so can fully get back on it. I think i have more or less maintained though although my abs have lost a bit of definition because i havnt trained them at all really for a while.
Good news is that its all good fun getting it back and shooting onwards.