The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

In other news....

Over the past 3 weeks I've had -

4 takeaway burgers (including one McDonalds.... filth!)
Fish & chips
2 all day BBQ/piss ups
1 all day pub piss up followed by steak
and a partridge in a peartree......

Yet I weighed myself this morning and I've lost another 1lb meaning I'm at my lowest ever.

Happy days! :cheers:

Celebrating tonight by testing out the Eat Out To Help Out scheme for the first time.

Suppose that is just 2 treats a week!? lol And little to no exercise?

A mystery indeed Mr DeanoVilla

Find the new booking system is making me go more as once I'm booked in I feel obliged to go. In the past if I was planning to go and felt a bit tired or lazy I just wouldn't bother, but with a booking it's more incentive.

Yeah, some people like a gym buddy for the same reason don't they? You might cry off on your own, but if you have someone else going you have to push!

I had to have a gym buddy. There was a definite chance I'd go straight home from work if not.

Done 23, 28 and 23 miles last three days. Trying to do "sets" up the hills. 12 reps pushing as hard as possible on each leg, in a high gear, and then relax for bit by letting the motor do the work. Repeat twice more.

Then, on flatter sections, instead of coasting, trying to pedal fast, but evenly for as long as possible.

Hoping to build up strength and stamina.

Yes , I used to be adamant that I couldn't or didn't want to run with anyone , but since I have joined a running club , I have found it noticeable since lockdown how much I now dislike running on my own. The 10 miles on a Sunday morning with about 6 others and being able to have a chat is pretty much the highlight of the week as it seems the time goes by so quickly you don't realise have far you have done

I train better on my own, always have. But do get the appeal of having someone to train with/have spotting for heavier lifts. Just for me, I don't need motivating and also, don't really need the pressure of letting someone down if I'm not well enough on the day. I can make my mind up at any time and train with short notice!

That's the direction I've moved in as I've got older, Fear. Golf was a prime example. You had to commit weeks in advance, and I'd end up playing with half a brain working, because I didn't want to let anyone down.

I suppose a running group, if one doesn't turn up it doesn't make any difference.

For me, i couldnt think of anything worse than having a gym buddy. Would drive me up the wall. Ive got only child syndrome. Just leave me alone, dont talk to me and let me crack on. I fecking hate it when people start talking to me in the gym. Hate it.

For me, i couldnt think of anything worse than having a gym buddy. Would drive me up the wall. Ive got only child syndrome. Just leave me alone, dont talk to me and let me crack on. I fecking hate it when people start talking to me in the gym. Hate it.

Different for the gym I would think. You have to concentrate , but you don't when you are running and the more relaxed you are the easier it is. Even the harder runs I like running with someone now as you can act as a pacemaker for each other and push yourself .

Last edited:
After 18 weeks of shielding it was so good to finally get back to the pool this week. 6.5 miles over 3 visits, good start to build on and no guilt eating pizza tonight!

Anyone got knowledge /experience of treadmills for home use ?

Mrs M has decided she wants one. She wants to get back into exercise. The gym membership for her went when the kids came. She goes out walking with the pooch but running outside has never been for her like it is for me . And she has had hip problems since having kids so the less impact stress of a treadmill would suit. She doesn't want a cross trainer type thing or a bike either

Not my choice but keen to get one if she wants to get back into some training .

Looks like 500 odd quid will just about get you a decent lower mid range .