The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

I'm under the care of a consultant with regards to my weight and have been for the last 3 years.
Got referred by my doctor to Heartlands Hospital, with the view to gastric bypass operation.
A long story this but I had to attend a dietician clinic for for for 12 months Prior to even getting to see a consultant.
I waited so long for my first dietician appointment I lost 3 stones in weight by dieting or as they call it healthy eating.
I attended the 12 sessions once a month, which cost me the best part of a grand in lost income.
The dietitians all lovely young very underweight ladies, very good at explaining all the things we have all had drummed into through TV adverts and programs for many years now. I felt a little bit patronised but went along with it.
Having lost 3 stones already I felt like a fraud as my BMI was now down below the 40 marks that you needed to be to have the operation, other members of the group were 25 stone plus and far more needy than me.
Eventually, I got to see the consultant who checked my weight blood pressure height etc and told me, the operation would not work any better than I was already doing by my own eating plan but he did prescribe some Orlistat tablets and told me to come back in 6 months. I lost my job and decided that was the push I needed to retire. Since retiring the weight has gone back on I'm now almost back to where I was before.

The consultant told me if I could get down to 15st he'd be happy with that as no matter what I did I'd never get to 12st even with a bypass operation. My thyroid doesn't work at all and my knees are not up to silly amounts of exercise. During the lockdown, I've pretty much-eaten anything I want or rather could get. My weight problems started when I was diagnosed with thyroid problems for which I take thyroxine which meant I got free prescriptions so it's far more serious than most people realise.
I do realis that most people who don't have a weight problem just think its a case of eating less and exercising more but for people who are obese it's very much more difficult than that, it's like just saying to someone with depression snap out of it you fanny. Really doesn't work like that.

12 and a half stones and 6'1. I think I'm ok. I'm a bit lighter now that my wife had a go at my hair with the electric clippers. I think "gulag chic" best describes my new style.
57, I suppose I'm very lucky that I haven't had any major health problem although, I do have high blood pressure and raised cholesterol,(controlled with a chemical cocktail). I've always been active and built like a racing snake but I think that's more down to luck and metabolism. My father had the same problems, as did my grandfather so it's in my genes. Both died from cardiovascular problems. At 72 I've already outlived my father's lifespan.
He had a tougher life than me having started his first job working in a coal mine that went under the North Sea. Three years in North Africa and Italy, under fire for much of the time, can't have improved his prospects. I'm luck enough to be still active and strangely, if I dodge the bug, I should be fitter after this lockdown finishes. I'm walking every day, an average of 4 miles.
I sympathise with anyone who struggles with any aspect of their health.

Last edited:
My Dad had 5 by passes done in 1988 , he was 54 so 2 years younger than I am now. He is one of 13 and most of his brothers and sisters suffer/suffered from high cholestorol , it is genetic . Anyway I had mine tested a couple of years ago and it was just on the limit so I have the lowest dose of statins possible. The doctor did say that if I didn't do the exercise I did it would be through the roof !!!!

Didn't realise you'd been through all that 57. Extreme op that, wow. Hopefully you can avoid having it, unless that is what you 'want'.

It isn't all easy, you are right. But most things in life aren't. Staying fit, the same, isn't easy. And yes, for sure, for some, health issues mess up good intentions and when you feel ill, even though you know you shouldn't be eating 'treats' all the time, it is very difficult not to.

There is a high level of obesity now though, it isn't all underlying health issues, it is also - and I know you know, not talking down to you here - a woeful Western diet, lack of education for the youngsters, parents feeding their kids any old crap thanks to their lack of education, fast food booming and people not being educated on fitness and exercise.

As said, 100% there is a % of people who would love to exercise and can't, and end up overweight / obese but there are far too many now drifting along with the rest of society unwilling or unable to help themselves and it is costing the NHS millions. Some of those millions would be far better spent helping educate and provide good food to those who need it and to subsidise/make free fitness facilities for the greater good of the country.

With my own health issues, you know I'm not being dismissive and know what the downward spiral can be like. There is something within me that always stops it going too far, some don't have that control and then spiral even more as they become more unhappy. It is a horrible cycle isn't it?

I have been looking at supplements for a while. Thought about fat burners but chose not to go that route.
2 weeks ago I got some creatine which is found in the body naturally. Been taking it for two weeks but no longer. I have ballooned up like you would not believe. My face looks like it did when I was an unhealthy 15 stone, my abs have gone and I've got bloating in the pecs. I feel disgusting. My arms and legs do look bigger but this bloating is not worth it at all. I feel horrid. Think I am just going to do it naturally.
Lesson learned.

I have to say I tried pretty much everything that they had to offer over the years and found nothing apart from decent whey (and sometimes the other protein, can't recall the name) protein powder of any real use. A lot is just clever marketing.

I use things for my joints (age!) and then I have potassium and magnesium, for various reasons (partly in helping brain aches and also the potassium I found good for a bloating problem) and good probiotics for the stomach. But not anything for weight training specifically (well, the joints I guess but you know what I mean).

Some get on with creatine better than others. I used to bloat, and also it would make my stomach bad no matter how well I mixed it. Tried different sorts as well. I didn't like the feeling on it at all. The muscles swelling, obviously it gets water into the muscles and does work, but I concluded the same as you, it didn't suit me at all. Great for those it does suit, plenty of good research on it.

The rest, to me, is just basically 'window dressing'.

In the London days I used to walk to work (and back) everyday. I lived in Elephant and Castle and worked near Tottenham Court Road. It was a fantastic walk, especially in the summer.

!

You were down the road from me then, I was Lambeth North in 2016 & into 17, used to walk to Holborn and then Kings Cross when I changed jobs for work which took me about 45 mins IIRC.

I used to go over Blackfriars bridge, for some reason I liked it more than the other bridges.

Bet they won't be running anywhere tomorrow then Col! lol

Had an attempt at my deadlift record yesterday. Was a bit daft as wasn't really feeling it, but thought it worth a try. Tried, didn't achieve but then did 5 sets of 10 at 90kg so a great workout still.

Always amazes me with things like deadlifts. one lift you amaze yourself how 'easy' you manage a target, another lift and the weights seem to be superglued to the floor. Yesterday was the latter. To be fair, I'm reaching my limit, I just want double bodyweight and to leave it at that, got to be mindful of the brain pressure for sure and to be fair, age. So I have got to 145kg, I need 160kg for my bucket list aim. Tried to jump the full 15kg yesterday, should really have gone for a 150kg to slowly build, I knew it, but hey, you sometimes have to ignore logic don't you?!

Bet they won't be running anywhere tomorrow then Col! lol

Had an attempt at my deadlift record yesterday. Was a bit daft as wasn't really feeling it, but thought it worth a try. Tried, didn't achieve but then did 5 sets of 10 at 90kg so a great workout still.

Always amazes me with things like deadlifts. one lift you amaze yourself how 'easy' you manage a target, another lift and the weights seem to be superglued to the floor. Yesterday was the latter. To be fair, I'm reaching my limit, I just want double bodyweight and to leave it at that, got to be mindful of the brain pressure for sure and to be fair, age. So I have got to 145kg, I need 160kg for my bucket list aim. Tried to jump the full 15kg yesterday, should really have gone for a 150kg to slowly build, I knew it, but hey, you sometimes have to ignore logic don't you?!
My mid rift is still humming. Highly recommend that routine.
160kg is bloody heavy and an impressive lift. But 145kg is also very impressive. No way I could do that much. Absolute no chance.

My mid rift is still humming. Highly recommend that routine.
160kg is bloody heavy and an impressive lift. But 145kg is also very impressive. No way I could do that much. Absolute no chance.

I don't think I have a massive perspective of what is and what isn't an 'impressive' lift because I know a few huge guys who do way over 200kg. But thanks, I am pleased with it. Got close a few years back only for a flair up to happen, so hopefully I'll reach the goal this time, or retire the idea if I find it causes issues.

Something a bit different today. Did a cable cardio session that Juan Mourhep showed me a few years back that he used to give to his mixed martial arts fighters. Did it slow and deliberately today, hit the spot.

Then the abs routine i posted in this thread before.

And then a fabulous boxing session. 4 punch bags, 2 rounds, 2 mins per bag and 30 second rest WITH a 3 stone weighted vest on. Then 2 rounds with a 1.5 stone vest then had a music session on the big bags! lol

Written my training schedule for the next 9 weeks. Totally changing up tempo, weight and style now, did first one today.

So for instance, a cable chest flye I'd usually do at 70kg (35kg each side) I've gone down to 28kg and drop set to 21kg and am doing it very (veeeery) slow, controlled and with holds in several positions.

Always all about the form, but this switch up is to keep me engaged, and is form, tempo, as said, holds and really connecting mind and muscle whilst training.

I have just completed a 5 mile run.
5x100metre sprints.
Manny Pacquiao ab routine.

Chilling now with a Pepsi max.

Tomorrow is pure weights similar to you fear, most of which will be dedicated to form. I will add a bit of heavier lifting but not too much.

I've washed my gym gloves and also ordered some new ones.

It simply does not get more interesting than that.

I buy RDX gloves with a really good wrist support. They last for ages and are very comfortable