The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Another ab session today followed by a 'Superset' circuit.

No walk tonight though, I'm gonna fire up the bbq and sit on my arse in the garden all night. No point going through all the pain if you can't enjoy yourself every now and then too.
Super sets are the way forward. Really get that pump going on!

Boxing sorted, the 3 stone weighted jacket has bust, looking at the price of new ones, I'm going to make do and mend, so ordered some rivets. So used the 1.5 stone jacket instead. 'Just' 3 rounds (4 bags) for 2 mins - 30 sec rest. Felt enough today, so left it at that, done some pretty heavy duty sessions in the last week, so you have to know when to ease off as well I think!

10 × 400m laps of the cricket ground as fast as possible with a minute break in between for me this evening. Had the old wobble legs going on the last lap.

So had a practice go in the park. Mrs colavfc was time keeper and adjudicator.

Press ups. Managed 90 in the 2 minutes.
Sit ups. Managed 92 in the 2 minutes.
Ran 1.44 miles in the 9minutes 30secs allowed. Need to get that to 1.5 miles but with a bit of tweaking of the speed will be fine, wasnt sure how to judge the speed/distance.

Hardcore cardio every day now. Just have to watch I dont lose too much muscle definition though cus alot of cardio can be a muscle destroyer.

Hopefully not EVERY day colavfc, don't forget how easy it is to burn out, your body needs rest days (they can be active rest days, stretch/walk etc!) Well done with the results and planning re the run, brilliant. If you do some weights as well, you won't need to lose muscle, but also cutting up is good. You can always do some weighted cardio as well.

Typical week for me at the moment . Run and then walk alternating days, all with pooch.

Monday- 8 mile run
Tuesday - 6 mile - slightly less . Like to get in 4 runs a week so have to do 2 days in a row so do less distance.
Wednesday - 4 mile walk
Thursday- 8 mile run
Friday - 4 mile walk
Saturday - 8 or 9 mile run
Sunday 4 mile walk .

Was doing some hit training on the walk days but that was too much in truth. Find the walks as good 'cool' down days and when doing the hit training the runs were not great the next day . I really don't like not doing something every day so the walks are good 'recovery' days but still a decent length.
Always exercised since by football career ended . Went to the gym, did a bit of running but not really that organised. I did start doing some high impact training before pooch and the weight started coming off but then I couldn't get to the gym as much so gave up membership.

So it's all about CV work for me now and I'm alot happier with my body shape now rather than the broader shape from weight training . I cleared the loft out recently and got my old villa shirts out The 88 away shirt was the oldest shirt I could comfortably get into. I was 14. Not bad for a 45 year old!.
Pooch has changed my life . Such a motivation to get out. And the lighter evenings really make it possible to exercise like I do. Winter not so much because cannot get out in the fields in the evenings.

Walking is a vastly underrated form of exercise imho. When I commute to work I walk about 3 miles in total just getting to the station and back and find it a great recovery from a long run etc . Also it always nearly turns in to a power walk in order to catch the train

I am missing the walking at the moment big time , I have noticed the first mile of a run isn't as comfortable as normal.

Walking is a vastly underrated form of exercise imho. When I commute to work I walk about 3 miles in total just getting to the station and back and find it a great recovery from a long run etc . Also it always nearly turns in to a power walk in order to catch the train

I am missing the walking at the moment big time , I have noticed the first mile of a run isn't as comfortable as normal.

In the London days I used to walk to work (and back) everyday. I lived in Elephant and Castle and worked near Tottenham Court Road. It was a fantastic walk, especially in the summer.

Since I've been back in Birmingham I WFH 3-4 days a week and have no choice but to get the train into the office when I can be bothered to show up.

I miss my walks!

I really don't like not doing something every day so the walks are good 'recovery' days but still a decent length.

Yes, a theory many don't seem to quite get. Active rest days. You don't need to be full sit down all day resting, stretching, walking, a nice swim and so on, fantastic.

And as is clearly visible from your post, works well mentally as well. Nice that you are enjoying your walks and not doing the HITT in them now, because a bit of relaxing and mental space is so cool in life. Something your dog has obviously brought you.

And as you say, very good on the shirt front!!!

Really enjoying this thread, we have a very long weight training thread that used to be more active, but it was probably slightly excluding to other fitness.

Really pleased with my weigh in today. Wasn't sure how the results would show up as I've been more on the weights and a bit less boxing/cardio.

12 1/2 stone - first time in probably a decade. 13.4% body fat, down from 27.2% fat mid January.

I can't remember the last time I weighed myself , I have no idea how much I weigh.

The last time remember being weighed it was for a well man check up at the doctors so it could be 10 plus years ago. The nurse told me on the scale I was classed as obese , I then told her I had done the London marathon in 4hrs 5 mins 3 days earlier lol. She didn't know what to say.

Last edited:
Had similar when I had my over 40 medical check. She looked at me, my body fat (I was in good shape, actually, might have been around the Men's Health thing, thinking about it, it must have been) and weight and said she could clearly see there was no point looking at her charts or the BMI and then went on to wax lyrical about my stats, the right fats, blood pressure, another other such markers. But if you had taken the standard line, I'd have been overweight, maybe edging up to the upper reach of that.

Last edited:
What exactly is obese these days?

I always thought it was those fat American types who need a forklift to get out of bed, but I'm guessing it has been reclassified to anyone a pound or 2 over?

Quite interesting on obesity. It really is an epidemic, another one that they aren't taking seriously and that is costing the NHS massively.

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...esity-physical-activity-and-diet/england-2020

The majority of adults were overweight or obese; 67% of men and 60% of women.
This included 26% of men and 29% of women who were obese.

Weight scale linked here, the image is too big to upload

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/height-weight-chart/

Oh, this one seems to cut and paste:

1588933789154.png