The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

What is the motivation, the amount you can lift, building muscle, toning, fitness? All those!?

I actually don't know and this is the problem. I'm not blessed with great genetics for aesthetics so my physique has never been that great, pretty decent, but more bulky. I am better designed (genetically) for strength. At 20 I was deadlifting around 250kg, squatting around 220kg and benching 175kg.

Funnily enough I completely stopped lifting at around 21 years old and I didn't lift a weight again until I was 27, I'm now 31 and don't have the dedication, especially in diet, to get my lifts back, although they are still fairly decent.

Motivation (or lack thereof) is the big issue at this stage, I have so many hobbies that compete for the time that lifting has taken a back seat in a major way. A home gym might serve to get me going again since I could lift during my lunch hour when I work from home and then I won't feel like I've lost so much time. This could also be a good opportunity to change my physique a become that bit leaner and train in a different way.

It's good point about the heavy stuff having an impact, if I squat too frequently I get tendinitis in both knees and that will only get worse over time. The fact that I will never lift what I did in my pomp also should tell me that there's no point chasing those totals and even if I did get back, it's not that much of an achievement.

I do struggle for motivation some days. I dont need motivation for thai boxing or boxing classes but some days I need it for running or weights. On these days I do one thing that cures it.

Step 1. Go onto YouTube
Step 2. Search David Goggins

Solved.

Mrs colavfc's brother has just started the police and wants to bulk up a bit. So today we have started some facetime sessions. Mrs colavfc records my end. I demonstrate and he follows. Has worked well today and is good because I can pretend to be goggins shouting at him. I've lost count how many times I've said,
'You dont know me son'
'Who's gonna carry the logs and the boats'
'If its hurting its working'
'Be comfortable with being uncomfortable'

I'm going to change my name to colin goggins.

I actually don't know and this is the problem. I'm not blessed with great genetics for aesthetics so my physique has never been that great, pretty decent, but more bulky. I am better designed (genetically) for strength. At 20 I was deadlifting around 250kg, squatting around 220kg and benching 175kg.

Yes, think you do need to understand what you want to achieve, in order to really go for it. I think you are right re the weights you've done, you can get back up to those levels again, no doubt, but what would that achieve? Not a lot, you've done it, and as said, the joints do take a battering!

You could, with time, build a great physique if that is a challenge. Mine gets into good shape, brain aches then floor me, I then start again, but it is what I do, I enjoy the process, I do wish the brain aches wouldn't floor me obviously because a few times I've been close to getting somewhere close to what would impress me (the only measure that matters, and I don't mean in a self loving or narcissistic way).

It does so much for me positivity wise, helps my mental wellbeing and gives me a great focus. So that is more than enough reasons for me to keep going.

I'm going to change my name to colin goggins.

I would imagine he'll change your name as well, to something far less complimentary! :lol:

I still do one routine that Vital legend JuanMourep once showed me. I still call him all sorts of names whilst doing it, all of them Anglo Saxon!

3 days into the 22 day ab challenge Fear posted.

I know I should probably have a rest day now but I'm finding it strangely addictive.

Really good exercises, I've added some v-sits on my bench and some weighted crunches. The reverse crunch way he does it, opposed to how I've always done it, is truly awesome!

For me I have found that weighted Russian twists get your abs popping out. I always make sure I max out on this exercise. Then rest 20 seconds then go to failure again. These have had the biggest impact for me.

Yes, agreed, great exercise. I pop it into my routines at times, and out as well, as find it can sometimes impact my own issues. I do like the routine from the guy above, for a home workout especially, although I have added bits now.

3 days into the 22 day ab challenge Fear posted.

I know I should probably have a rest day now but I'm finding it strangely addictive.

BTW, not sure if you have looked at any of his other videos, but he is all about perfect form, not just banging out numbers. If you do 5 good ones of an exercise, you'll get far more from it than 10 quicker or not as good.

WIth the ab workout, concentrate on your abs when doing them, when doing the crunch, empty yourself of air so you are really crunching the abs, not a wind bag! When lowering yourself from sit ups, go down nice and gently and squeeze the abs. Engaging the mind with exercises is really a key. Think about the muscle/s you are working, then body and mind engage. Squeezing abs and glutes through the day is also good!

Form, form, and form. Just crucial, whenever exercising, You'll probably remember Juan Mourep also banging on about that over the years.

I've been looking to buy some new dumbbells and most places are out of stock for my price range, looks like everyone is trying to get fit, lol.

I was on Sports Direct just before all this and they had a wide range, now there's pretty much nothing there, it's crazy.

I've been looking to buy some new dumbbells and most places are out of stock for my price range, looks like everyone is trying to get fit, lol.

I was on Sports Direct just before all this and they had a wide range, now there's pretty much nothing there, it's crazy.

And a hell of a lot of profiteering going. Some obscene prices out there!

Boxing for me in a bit, think a day off the weights is in order. I will however put my three stone weighted vest on, just to keep me on my toes. Or in actual fact, off my toes!

Just had email from the tv SAS.
I have to video myself doing the basic fitness test and send it in. Really shouldnt be a problem.
44 full press ups in 2 mins
50 sit ups in 2 minutes.
1.5 mile run in 9minutes.

Shouldn't be a problem. Doing a practise run through later tonight

Another ab session today followed by a 'Superset' circuit.

No walk tonight though, I'm gonna fire up the bbq and sit on my arse in the garden all night. No point going through all the pain if you can't enjoy yourself every now and then too.