The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Went for another 10k run a little earlier. And did some shuttle runs up a very steep hill half way through.
Great hey..... you would think.
I yet again made the stupid mistake of running on bin day. My god, those bins stink. I was struggling not to hurl. I have a really bad gag reflex.
I was preying for a whiff of weed or cigarettes just to give me a break. But no.
Never again on a Monday. Never.

For all of you having to work, it's hell out there. You're better off where you are.

View attachment 47133

There might be alot of things wrong on this country but our coastline is so stunning in places.

Couple of years ago staying in Cornwall my runs along the coastal paths in the early evening were a thing of beauty in terms of scenery.

There might be alot of things wrong on this country but our coastline is so stunning in places.

Couple of years ago staying in Cornwall my runs along the coastal paths in the early evening were a thing of beauty in terms of scenery.

I wonder if there is any data about there being more runners near the coast? It's certainly enough t get you out there more often.

Posted in interesting but should be here really.

I cooked a very nice tea for myself. I do like the groove I'm in cooking wise. Started doing the MuscleFood food plan (as per the start of the fitness thread) and I've been pleased to continue in similar fashion.

Cooking has to be fairly quick for me, due to pain/fatigue levels, but that leaves me open for loads of nice things. I also sometimes prepare earlier, and then cook later, to stagger things.

Tonight was low fat pork mince, mush, toms, onions, yellow pepper, red and green peppers, sweet and sour sauce. Then I mixed in an egg 'fried' rice. Delicous and nutritious.

I don't know if any of you ever need a good map, to plan your walk/run/ride, but I often need a bit of help finding new routes.

The main problem is that most maps tend to lump Public Footpaths and Bridleways together, and I can only ride on the latter.

I have tried a few apps out, and can thoroughly recommend ViewRanger. It's not as messy as the OS maps, and the free version is enough for most people.

You probably know your local area, but it might prove useful for holidays, when you want a run.

Whoop . Did my weekly 5k in 24.41 yesterday which was my quickest for some time.

The mile splits were 7.52 , 7.58 and 8.03. The first miles was the quickest mile I have done for ages as well.

That’s brilliant SD, I’ve got a few years on you in my favour and struggling to break 25 mins at the moment

Last edited:
That’s brilliant SD, I’ve got a few years on you in my favour and struggling to break 25 mins at the moment

I have been pushing it Dan and paid the penalty with a slight hamstring strain which has held me back over the last week.

Still did a very steady 11 miles this morning with 5 others and it was a lovely run with good company and glorious weather. Ran in to town and back out along the canal.

Thoroughly relaxed now.

Fun fun fun this morning on our 10 mile run , we decided to do a new route for variety and as the others were explaining where we were going I was thinking that is more that 10 miles. Ended up doing 14.5 lol which I found pretty comfortable surprisingly enough , but my legs know about it now !!!

So shops and pubs opened yesterday... what did I do? Went to the gym! Sad, sad old man.

Just broke myself back in gently. 2 mile jog in 21 mins 30 secs, followed by 35 minutes whizzing round all the weights machines on a lowish weight.

Going again tonight. Need to get back on track as I'm a about a stone up from last year.

I went and saw podiatrist about my stiff , sore calves. He said the muscle fibres had got unaligned and knotted. Recommended some stretches to straighten them out and to apply pressure to the knots. I suppose I had underestimated the beneficial value of correct and regular stretching at my age. I also got some of the magnesium spray recommended by Fear and tried the massaging sirdennis suggested. The combination of these has had a really beneficial effect and I’m walking ok again. Three miles yesterday and two today.Only gently mind but it’s a relief to be mobile again.
Thanks for the advice gents.

I went and saw podiatrist about my stiff , sore calves. He said the muscle fibres had got unaligned and knotted. Recommended some stretches to straighten them out and to apply pressure to the knots. I suppose I had underestimated the beneficial value of correct and regular stretching at my age. I also got some of the magnesium spray recommended by Fear and tried the massaging sirdennis suggested. The combination of these has had a really beneficial effect and I’m walking ok again. Three miles yesterday and two today.Only gently mind but it’s a relief to be mobile again.
Thanks for the advice gents.

Good to hear MY not sirdennis's advice has gone well....!

Give them a good massage, working upward. Also, you might want to try some electrolytes just in case you are cramping up a bit.

and/or try magnesium, can relax the muscles

I mean, how very dare you!

Nah, good to hear. There are massage guns and what not (I rely on them) that can be good long term, but also, you could look at a roller like I have mentioned (so no doubt a few weeks you'll credit sirdennis!) in this thread a few times. Happy to sort the link again if you wish.

Thanks again Fear. Please excuse the senior moment. Contact with multiple celebrities can cause confusion.

Ha, no worries dude! Just wish I could find some advice that worked for me to be honest. Very frustrating times. But chuffed your issues are clearing. Don't forget when the pain goes, don't stop doing what has helped the pain go away (i.e. keep up with the massage!)

I'm making some toast because I'm starving. I'm not usually one for late night eating but I've been starving all day after the gym.

What's the best way to deal with this? Should I eat as much as I can and go full beast mode or just tough it out and lose the ned?

I'm making some toast because I'm starving. I'm not usually one for late night eating but I've been starving all day after the gym.

What's the best way to deal with this? Should I eat as much as I can and go full beast mode or just tough it out and lose the ned?

Lose the ned?

No, don't go hungry. Make sure it isn't thirst first. Have a good drink of water (whatever) and leave it 30 mins.

But no, you should be satiated (as opposed to just snacking for the taste)

Try a bit more protein, as opposed to things like crisps that won't really deal with the hunger. A good protein shake after the gym is a good idea.

What are you trying to achieve BB?