The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Yeah, today was always going to be a cool down ride, but even expecting that, my legs weren't as willing as I'd anticipated. I just take it as a sign I did a good job yesterday!!!

The original reason for starting this thread was about the food plan I'd (and deano) had been on and the great loss i got. It then developed into this great thread.

Health, fitness, nutrition. Enjoying it.

Thought I'd update, despite the last 5 weeks being brain ache bad/awful I've maintained, fairly easy, the weight loss. Pretty much stuck in or around 12 stone which is a good weight for me. The scales say bodyfat is up a bit, but the eyes say it isn't, but just pleased the plan, that I now do myself rather than having the musclefood plan (on the same principles and I buy most of my stuff off them anyway) has set me in good stead. Cooking lovely food - all 10 mins max, which is what I need to do brain ache wise, I can't stand cooking for hours, if I did, I would be too tired to eat.

Pleased though, because I've not been able to do any walks and had no chance of any training. To know in the bad times I've got a drip on things weight wise is great because it is a lot easier to think sod it, if I'm going to feel like this, I'll eat what I want or to just lose track of what you are eating.

I keep a food diary, note my nights sleep and my symptoms. All very abrievated, only need to put 'back of head' 'disconnected legs' etc not loads of detail. And now have a monthly summary. Just easier for me to keep tabs (especially on food) and make sure there are no common factors pushing me into the flair ups (and basically, there really aren't, it is just the way the condition is).

Not particularly keen on the series, it is a bit... err... well, not for me really the style (I'm being polite!) However, was an interesting part of the Zac Effron Down To Earth on Netflix.

There was a water sommelier who talked about the need for mineral water as opposed to purified water. I drink purified water because the water on my estate tastes vile, even when boiled, and my main drink is water (and peppermint tea, which has a delicate flavour, so water can easily overpower it - or if you drink it out of a cup that has had normal coffee or tea in, you can taste them more than the peppermint) I digress....... I have a bebo water filter thing - instant cold and hot water. Very good.

However, he was saying, as our bodies are made up of 60-70% of water, you really don't want to drink purified water because (can't fact check it, although now I'm thinking, I need to google a bit) if the water that goes in doesn't have the minerals, it will seek out and use the minerals already in the body.

Som got myself some different bottles of mineral water, they do have (very subtle) different tastes and mineral contents. Always open minded to try things. Nothing to lose, at the end of the day, it is nice stuff anyway!

Could you replace those minerals with something like SIS Tablets? I have some made by Zero, to pop into a bottle on the bike. They add a slight flavour, and are meant to replace minerals you lose through sweating.

Yeah, read up a little seems different views, but I drink up to 3 litres a day, I need to (keep kidney stones at bay for a start) and love water. So does make sense to me to go back to more mineral water (and obviously my filtered water for peppermint etc tea)

I do use SIS when properly training, boxing, or hiking, but they aren't the sorts of things I'd want to take all the time. Also do sometimes top up with potassium and magnesium (the latter via a spray as it apparently works better) but again, you do want most of your vitamins and minerals to be via your food really.

Nature is far more clever knowing how to deliver these nutrients that scientists in my opinion (a lot of the multi vits for instance, really just give you expensive pee and some have things that conflict, can't think now without looking it up again, but just as an example, just an illustration plucked out of thin air, zinc might wipe out vitamin E, or copper block absorbing c etc... those are made up as I don't remember the real conflicts, doesn't take long on google to find the info).

Just makes sense though doesn't it, that a whole food will provide the right mix, as opposed to a tablet.

But yes, the hydrate tablets, think I've talked about them in this thread actually, or the weight training one) are great especially when out on a hot day and sweating.

Yeah, I struggle with the vitamin thing. The Dr says I need to take Vitamin D, but I have a deep tan from being outside in the sun, a lot. Having read opinions like yours, I just think taking tablets is pointless. Can't work out why my levels are so low.

It's a very grey area, for sure.

Yeah, I struggle with the vitamin thing. The Dr says I need to take Vitamin D, but I have a deep tan from being outside in the sun, a lot. Having read opinions like yours, I just think taking tablets is pointless. Can't work out why my levels are so low.

It's a very grey area, for sure.

That is the only time I would turn to a vitamin now, if a blood test tells me I am low. I would then also look up all the food sources as well. Strange when you've been outdoors so much isn't it? There is a vitamin d spray that from reading a bit, seems to be absorbed by the body better than tablets.

Link goes to Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/yycne7tq

Thanks for that. I'll take look at that.

Yeah, sunshine is meant to produce Vitamin D. I suppose I should Google if some struggle to do this. I try not to Google medical matters, usually.

I did actually look, using Google Scholar. They list all the peer reviewed scientific papers.

It turns out, quite a few people can't produce enough Vitamin D from sunlight. Who knew?

I've ordered some of that spray. Thank you Lord Fear.

Last edited:
Healthy eating going O.K! A small let off the hook as it was my birthday last Sunday. The chocolate was too tempting and i can't just do one piece. Otherwise feeling better health wise

Decent little summary really, without silly click bait bitshttps://www.menshealth.com/uk/weight-loss/a759282/how-to-get-rid-of-belly-fat/And this, along with the lack of exercise, I think is the key... the woeful Western diet

1. You're Eating Trans Fats
If antioxidants are the good guys of gut health, trans fats are the super-villains. These sneaky fats actively contribute to your growing waist line – not just by adding new fat, but by moving fat from other areas of your body to your belly. During a six-year study at Wake Forest University, monkeys that were fed an 8 per cent trans-fat diet had 33 per cent more belly fat than monkeys that were fed an 8 per cent monounsaturated fat diet.

There are currently no legal requirements for food manufacturers to label trans fats, according to the British Dietetic Association, so you need to check ingredients lists for hydrogenated fats and hydrogenated vegetable oils. The biggest culprits? Your ‘cheat day’ favourites: cakes, biscuits, ice cream, popcorn, pies, fried food, fast food, takeaways — the list goes on.

6 weeks for me, no gym (1 experiment trying that didn't work out) and not even a decent walk. Hate these periods and this is the worst for a while because it is directly at the back of my head/hind brain and really shouldn't be this aggressive, especially after such a long rest. I get up, I sit down. Arrghhh!

Does my head in when I see others abusing their bodies, smoking, constant heavy drinking, eating shite food and getting away with it. I have the knowledge, enjoy a good diet and love trianing and ... whinge over. Torture though, 30 years of this and it doesn't seem to get more acceptable.

Still, can't complain, I get a phone call end of September from the NHS. Must remember to clap.