The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 24 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Just finished a killer circuit. Please see below. I completed this 3 times with challenging weight... in between each set i had 5 seconds rest.

10 bicep curls with straight bar
12 hammer curls dumb bells
12 bicep curls dumb bells
15 upright rows
8 lateral side raises
20 shoulder presses
8 front raises
30 press ups
30 tricep dips
6 clean and jerks

The first session is ok. The second hurts. The third i am in tears.

I then finished off with weighted squats to failure. Then plank for 1 minute... after 1 minute straight into 20 diamond press ups.. then straight into plank for 1 minute... then straight into 20 diamond press ups... to failure.

Im done in.

Just finished a killer circuit. Please see below. I completed this 3 times with challenging weight... in between each set i had 5 seconds rest.

10 bicep curls with straight bar
12 hammer curls dumb bells
12 bicep curls dumb bells
15 upright rows
8 lateral side raises
20 shoulder presses
8 front raises
30 press ups
30 tricep dips
6 clean and jerks

The first session is ok. The second hurts. The third i am in tears.

I then finished off with weighted squats to failure. Then plank for 1 minute... after 1 minute straight into 20 diamond press ups.. the straight into plank for 1 minute... then straight into 20 diamond press ups... to failure.

Im done in.

I'm knackered just reading that.

5 second rest? That isn't a rest! You doing perfect form sir?! :grinning:

The bicep curls, no matter which way you do them, are pretty much the same. You could do them at different tempos to shake it up a bit, so some faster up and down, some sloooow down. But as said, not a huge difference. Not sure if you know, but it is the well formed tricep muscle that is the real sleeve filler, so why not swap out one curl round for a tricep exercise, overhead extension or the like? Or add it in at worst.

Engaging all the muscles? Tensing the glutes, core, really thinking about the muscle you are working throughout the beasting? The mind/muscle connection is powerful - also personally think it helps stops injuries because you are concentrating fully on what you are doing.

And of course, feel free to ignore, just enjoy talking about training!

I could do huge weights on my triceps, but only medium weights with my biceps, but as Fear says, that actually turned out to be a good thing. Two thirds of the upper arm are triceps.

Anyway, a lovely 23 mile ride with some stunning views today for me.

5 second rest? That isn't a rest! You doing perfect form sir?! :grinning:

The bicep curls, no matter which way you do them, are pretty much the same. You could do them at different tempos to shake it up a bit, so some faster up and down, some sloooow down. But as said, not a huge difference. Not sure if you know, but it is the well formed tricep muscle that is the real sleeve filler, so why not swap out one curl round for a tricep exercise, overhead extension or the like? Or add it in at worst.

Engaging all the muscles? Tensing the glutes, core, really thinking about the muscle you are working throughout the beasting? The mind/muscle connection is powerful - also personally think it helps stops injuries because you are concentrating fully on what you are doing.

And of course, feel free to ignore, just enjoy talking about training!
Never ever ignore good advice from people trying to help. Its all important.
I only have a small window so try (sensibly and carefully) to beast myself as much as possible.
I am very careful though because the thought of getting injured and being set back by weeks scares the life out of me.
Just got to find the balance between exercising until exhaustion and pushing it too hard and risking injury. Having a night off tonight though and got a day off wednesday so got a few windows of great recovery.
Has anyone tried the digital body fat percentage callipers?

Has anyone tried the digital body fat percentage callipers?

No, just those scale things I mentioned before, I guess whatever you use, as long as you are consistent, you get a roughly decent picture of the progress. Short of having that expensive scanner thing (forget the name, you know the one, you sit totally in it) that is the best we can hope for. I do like the scales I use with the feet and hand sensors.

Tough session today, I actually split a few bits out and did them this morning with an ab routine. Glad I did. This afternoons started with deadlifts, I tried for my record, but was way off. Need 155kg to get my bucket list of twice bodyweight. Best I've done is 145kg. I think what I might need to do is keep doing what I am doing, then once I am through the Total Beaxst perhaps have a week or two off, let my body recover, and go for the record then. I do want to do it, very much, but not at the expense of health or injury. And if and when I get to that, I plan to drop down a fair bit deadlift wise, do them slower but lighter. I am 51 not 21 after all, sadly!

I might totally re-do the Total Beaxst in a similar fashion as well, lower weight, ultra slow.

Deadlifts today I did drop sets. 140kg x 6 then 135kg x6 , 129kg x 8 and I forget the last one, might have been 129kg again, I know it was x 8.

Did renegade rows with pushups today and thought of you @colavfc If you have two kettle bells, you could also do them sirdennis.

Not the best form this, but shows you what to do.

Do the row, press up, row, press up. Not the row, row, press up. Don't get why they would skip a press up! You can do them without press ups as well, don't see the point, get full bang for your buck

Yeah i like the look of those. Will add them to a routine tomorrow. Thanks for recommending.
Were they hard to do?

Yeah i like the look of those. Will add them to a routine tomorrow. Thanks for recommending.
Were they hard to do?

No, once you do them a few times and get centred/balanced, I didn't find them hard, have done them before but not for a while. As said, you get good bang for your buck with these I think!