The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 95 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

The thyroid hormones are pretty fundamental, if you become overactive or underactive there can be serious health implications. They can also have a knock-on effect on other hormones, for instance an overactive thyroid will reduce your testosterone levels.

Out of interest, when you were taking the medication were you encouraged by your GP to have regular blood tests?

The mother in law has a messed up thyroid. She lost a load of weight and was overactive, they intervened with medication and now she is borderline obese. She rarely has any blood work done. You'd think that given she's basically on hormone replacement therapy that she would be getting regular bloods done to see if her thyroid hormones are roughly in the right place, if they're not then they should be adjusting the dose.
I have a Thyroid test every 12 months, plus currently a full blood test every 6 months for my prostate, kidneys and just about everything else. I also have a B12 injection every 3 months. Last test my thyroid was out, due to the massive weight loss, so now I take 100mg instead of 150mg of levothyroxine. Which has put it back in range. I think I could go down to 75mg and be bang in the middle, might ask the doc if I ever get to see one again.

As long as it gets me fitter, healthier and into my jeans, I'll be good.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice / support.
Speaking of Jeans my son-in-law has just given me some more of his 34w jeans which are too tight for him. I said oh thanks very much, if they're too big I can put a belt on them! The look on his face was priceless as I've always taken the P out of how skinny he is/was.

I bought a pair of ASDA chinos the other day for £6 in a 32w just to see if I could do them up and with a bit of breathing in I wore them yesterday.

Clothes are a big issue now, I have to buy Medium instead of XXL. I'm giving my Son loads of the big Under Armour stuff I have in the hope of helping him to lose some weight by shaming him. Weight runs in our family as it does in many families. We haven't lived together for 20 years but he is a mini me or not so mini now.

I've made and marking another Coke-free day in my diary produces a little smile.
Stick with it mate, it's like a bloody drug. I replaced it with tap water about four months back and haven't touched a drop since. Same with the ready meals. I do all our cooking and apart from the odd pizza it's all fresh, and works out a sight cheaper, and not full of salt and additives.
Stick with it mate, your doing great

I have a Thyroid test every 12 months, plus currently a full blood test every 6 months for my prostate, kidneys and just about everything else. I also have a B12 injection every 3 months. Last test my thyroid was out, due to the massive weight loss, so now I take 100mg instead of 150mg of levothyroxine. Which has put it back in range. I think I could go down to 75mg and be bang in the middle, might ask the doc if I ever get to see one again.
Just had the works done. PSA remains at a high level but hasn't increased in a long time, despite the quack telling me she thinks I've got cancer, and because of the mini stroke loads of tests to check that blood thinner and statin are doing their job. Joys of growing fuckin ancient.

Just had the works done. PSA remains at a high level but hasn't increased in a long time, despite the quack telling me she thinks I've got cancer, and because of the mini stroke loads of tests to check that blood thinner and statin are doing their job. Joys of growing fuckin ancient.
Speaking of Satins I stopped taking mine after I had the Gastric Bypass, doctor doesn't know and It doesn't seem to have affected my cholesterol scores.
Now I only take Vitamins and Thyroxine. My prostate isn't right yet, the consultant wants to do a flow test in 3 months and take it from there. I don't feel the flow is any better than before it all went wrong. Time will tell I suppose, she said there are many treatments open to me now including tablets, which is probably what you are on.

Speaking of Satins I stopped taking mine after I had the Gastric Bypass, doctor doesn't know and It doesn't seem to have affected my cholesterol scores.
Now I only take Vitamins and Thyroxine. My prostate isn't right yet, the consultant wants to do a flow test in 3 months and take it from there. I don't feel the flow is any better than before it all went wrong. Time will tell I suppose, she said there are many treatments open to me now including tablets, which is probably what you are on.
Tamsulosin hydrochloride. Been on it fifteen years now, and apart from two or three retention episodes when catheter had to drain it, they work great.

Stick with it mate, it's like a bloody drug. I replaced it with tap water about four months back and haven't touched a drop since. Same with the ready meals. I do all our cooking and apart from the odd pizza it's all fresh, and works out a sight cheaper, and not full of salt and additives.
Stick with it mate, your doing great
Salt is the thing isn't it, bloody hell since my op changed my sense of taste I had no idea how much bacon tasted of pure salt, I hope my sense of taste comes back but.....

Last edited:
Tamsulosin hydrochloride. Been on it fifteen years now, and apart from two or three retention episodes when catheter had to drain it, they work great.
I think that is what my son in laws dad is on, he couldn't understand how I was not on it. I had renal failure though so I guess more serious hence the op.
I've not had any retention yet (touch wood) but I do pee a little and often. The consultant says I need to hold it for at least 2 hours to retrain my bladder to work again.

I think that is what my son in laws dad is on, he couldn't understand how I was not on it. I had renal failure though so I guess more serious hence the op.
I've not had any retention yet (touch wood) but I do pee a little and often. The consultant says I need to hold it for at least 2 hours to retrain my bladder to work again.
Yes, consultant is correct. I never have that issue. They say with prostate cancer you are up and down all night going to the bathroom. I might get up about six if one of the dogs wakes me. Consultant told me during the day go before you need to, too avoid the retention. I know my triggers, alcohol and caffeine. Don't drink, and generally able to avoid caffeine.
Yes, your renal failure is way more serious, hence the op.

Salt is the thing isn't it, bloody hell since my op changed my sense of taste I had no idea how much bacon tasted of pure salt, I hope my sense of taste comes back but.....
Yes,it is. And once you have stopped it, you can really taste it in stuff, hence fresh cooking.

Yes, consultant is correct. I never have that issue. They say with prostate cancer you are up and down all night going to the bathroom. I might get up about six if one of the dogs wakes me. Consultant told me during the day go before you need to, too avoid the retention. I know my triggers, alcohol and caffeine. Don't drink, and generally able to avoid caffeine.
Yes, your renal failure is way more serious, hence the op.
Yep, I've decided no more alcohol, which has never bothered me as I'm naturally able to act like a twonk without it. I'm on Decaf Tea and Coffee now, I've never been a cold drink person so Pepsi and stuff like that I don't drink anyway.

My weight is fairly stable and has been all this year so far, I might get it down a bit but that will be by more exercise when it warms up. First time in my adult life I've been happy with my weight, just need to get rid of the bingo wings that have appeared since the weight loss. I've always had powerful arms and now they look thin and flabby like an old man but there again I am an old man!

Yep, I've decided no more alcohol, which has never bothered me as I'm naturally able to act like a twonk without it. I'm on Decaf Tea and Coffee now, I've never been a cold drink person so Pepsi and stuff like that I don't drink anyway.

My weight is fairly stable and has been all this year so far, I might get it down a bit but that will be by more exercise when it warms up. First time in my adult life I've been happy with my weight, just need to get rid of the bingo wings that have appeared since the weight loss. I've always had powerful arms and now they look thin and flabby like an old man but there again I am an old man!
It's a reward for all the hard work mate, and I'm sure you must feel better for it.

Injury update. Physio has given me muscle building exercises for thigh and calf. Strict instructions not to run at all . Today have done a very hilly woodland trail walk. 3.5k that took 33.6 minutes to complete. The good bit is no discomfort whatsoever, so I can use this as a base figure to work from. Onward and upward.😁