The FA Cup is awesome | Page 2 | Vital Football

The FA Cup is awesome

Arsenal tried to donate their share of the gate money when they played Sutton in the round before they played us. The FA said no it was against the rules. I have a vague memory they gave them a donation of around £50k somehow though.

I think it was a donation to the costs of running Sutton’s academy ? About 50k seems right from memory...

Some intriguing names in the cup this season :

West Allotment Celtic
New Salamis
Charnock Richard
Quorn !?
And my favourite - Brimscombe & Thrupp

Piegate. Didn't work out to well for him.
Well he didn’t do to badly out of it in the end!
He made £35k from interviews and television appearances, when on to setting up a hog roast and pie making business and now runs owns / runs a pub. Well did till Covid

Odd club names? Try the Scottish cup for size;
Jeanfield swifts, Dundonald Bluebell, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Inverurie Loco Works, Banks O’ Dee or my favourite Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale fc. So many beauties to chose from.

Jeanfield swifts, Dundonald Bluebell, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Inverurie Loco Works, Banks O’ Dee or my favourite Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale fc. So many beauties to chose from.
Yes but you do know these teams are entirely made up and don’t really exist, nobody has ever seen them play a proper game

Arsenal tried to donate their share of the gate money when they played Sutton in the round before they played us. The FA said no it was against the rules. I have a vague memory they gave them a donation of around £50k somehow though.

No they gave them a solid silver statue of the Arsenal gun on their badge IIRC, at least some Arsenal fan mentioned it to me while he was busy patronising me with his lofty Premier League ideals on "generous handouts to the little clubs" on the tube to the Emirates...

I've been to Hill of Beath Hawthorn, decent ground.
Gala Fairydean Rovers - they have a now listed concrete cantilever main stand.
Inverurie Loco Works.
Banks O'Dee, really good ground, need to go Highland League for sure.
And Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale, well to their former venue at least.

And there's always Billingham Synthonia.

Known as the "synners".

"Got Pneumonia at Billingham Synthonia".

One of my favourite poetry lines.
Special prize to anyone who can name the poet responsible.
(And when I say prize, I am using poetic licence of course)