The Ezri Konsa Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Ezri Konsa Thread

With Gomez out injured now, you would think Ezri is in with a good shout of his first call up.
I have really mixed feelings about this one. Konsa has been fantastic this season and deserves a call up, but an injury to Konsa would spell potential disaster for Villa though. He is that good and that important to us.

The longer Konsa goes under the radar the better. Sign him up to a new watertight 5 year deal before he gets a call up.

Did you see the speed he got back the length of the pitch when he went on that mad charge forwards against Arsenal he was like an express train?
Contrast that with Mings sautering back against Leeds

Did you see the speed he got back the length of the pitch when he went on that mad charge forwards against Arsenal he was like an express train?
Contrast that with Mings sautering back against Leeds
Mings deserves praise too. He's had a couple of poor games but he and Konsa are the best central defensive pair we've had since that year Dunne and Collins were fantastic.

I remember Ron Greenwood picking about 7 Liverpool players in the late 70's early 80's when they were winning everything.

The trouble is without Dalgleish , Rush and Souness it didn't do any good which most of us knew anyway.
I remember it. I believe there were ten of the dippers in the squad too. Can't remember which one, but I think it was a bit before the Dalglish/Souness time when they had Keegan and McDermott. If memory serves, Joey Jones & Toshack (Welsh) were the only regular Liverpool players not in the squad. Something like, Clemence, Neal, Smith, Thompson, Hughes, Kennedy (R), McDermott, Keegan, Callaghan, Case, Lee

I think he well could be, but moving on from individuals, Mings and Konsa are definitely the best English CB pairing. I genuinely don't get why England managers past and present wouldn't just lift out high performing partnerships at club level and plonk them straight into the England side. CB pairings especially rely on good communication and that's not something that happens in three weeks a year at St George's Park.
I've said this for years, especially with partnerships in defensive roles. Never understood why the Bruce/pallister combination was never tried at international level. Pallister was the more polished player but he always had time because Bruce was doing the dirty work. Phil Neal enjoyed a long international career based on his Liverpool performances, mainly because he had Jimmy Case and later Sammy Lee helping him in the Liverpool team. For England he was exposed a lot more and was utter gash.

2023 which is a small worry. Now is the time to sort a contract before it goes too long I always feel when the 2 year threshold is broken on a player who is important we're fucked. Happened with Barry, Young and Milner.

2023 which is a small worry. Now is the time to sort a contract before it goes too long I always feel when the 2 year threshold is broken on a player who is important we're fucked. Happened with Barry, Young and Milner.

I am sure the club are on top of this. Nothing said at all about McGinn until it was done and dusted and this will be the same I would think.

I'm hoping he goes under the radar and the less said about him the better, don't want any interest in him.

Although the amount of friends that now have him in their fantasy football teams is worrying.

Literally as a result of scoring a couple of goals. He’s a fantastic defender, he’s deceptively strong and reads the game well. I think he needs to work on his leadership as one day he could be a good captain or at least, the organiser of a back four. Unfortunately Mings takes that role but I think Konsa could be a great Southgate-type defender.

Scouts who know the game will know him like we do though, the masses who played fantasy footy just look at goals and clean sheets.

Last edited:
Literally as a result of scoring a couple of goals. He’s a fantastic defender, he’s deceptively strong and reads the game well. I think he needs to work on his leadership as one day he could be a good captain or at least, the organisers of a back four. Unfortunately Mings takes that role but I think Konsa could be a great Southgate-type defender.

Scouts who know the game will know him like we do though, the masses who played fantasy footy just look at goals and clean sheets.

lol, of course, the fantasy football line was just a reference to his growing reputation, I don't think my mates and other players will have much sway in his career moves in future.

Really happy with his progress though, him and Watkins show that buying from Brentford can also be a good thing.

Another one that Dean Smith has signed twice. As such he will show some loyalty and sign a new deal when offered one.
The fact that Smith is prepared to sign players a second time does indicate that he can judge a player and knows how to deal with them. He was quick to ditch Hogan and he gave Jota a chance but got rid quickly. He paid decent money for Konza and big money for Watkins, but avoided Benrhama for the same kind of money. Discuss!

Another one that Dean Smith has signed twice. As such he will show some loyalty and sign a new deal when offered one.
The fact that Smith is prepared to sign players a second time does indicate that he can judge a player and knows how to deal with them. He was quick to ditch Hogan and he gave Jota a chance but got rid quickly. He paid decent money for Konza and big money for Watkins, but avoided Benrhama for the same kind of money. Discuss!
He also didn't go for Henry.