The Ezri Konsa Thread | Page 35 | Vital Football

The Ezri Konsa Thread

The problem is how can you justify playing him and Pau as a central pair? We've conceded 50 league goals this year, granted we've had to chop and change the backline multiple times.

Our two best box defenders at corners this season are Watkins and Rogers. That is horrifically bad and if the answer is bring back Mings then what? Drop Pau? No way. Drop Ezri? Probably not. So you're back to putting him at RB.

Missing Kamara is a big problem but again he is not a robust aerial monster, he is 5'10" and no better in the air than Ezri.

Not sure what the answer is and its a very difficult one for Unai to solve.
Back 3 and wing backs? Don’t know if Unai has ever done that and don’t know how this works in Unai’s system.

Back 3 and wing backs? Don’t know if Unai has ever done that and don’t know how this works in Unai’s system.
I think he did that with PSG.

To some degree the formation and personnel don't matter, it's the philosophy and system that do. Sort of how you can lose Dougie or McGinn but still have everything be coherent it just plays a little differently when Tielemens takes over from one of them.

Maybe we can make up for the aerial deficiencies with a taller RB and CM than Cash and Kamara. Maybe some of our other defensive issues can be fixed by a change in our mentality or by defending differently further upfield.

I suppose either way I am not worried about it we'll be even stronger next year I have no doubt but with the players we have assuming no signings and everyone is fit.
Konsa, Mings, Pau, Digne screened by Kamara, and Dougie is the strongest back 6 we can play IMO. That team will be physically impossible to put on the field come September 1st so it'll be interesting to see what he decides we need.

I think he did that with PSG.

To some degree the formation and personnel don't matter, it's the philosophy and system that do. Sort of how you can lose Dougie or McGinn but still have everything be coherent it just plays a little differently when Tielemens takes over from one of them.

Maybe we can make up for the aerial deficiencies with a taller RB and CM than Cash and Kamara. Maybe some of our other defensive issues can be fixed by a change in our mentality or by defending differently further upfield.

I suppose either way I am not worried about it we'll be even stronger next year I have no doubt but with the players we have assuming no signings and everyone is fit.
Konsa, Mings, Pau, Digne screened by Kamara, and Dougie is the strongest back 6 we can play IMO. That team will be physically impossible to put on the field come September 1st so it'll be interesting to see what he decides we need.

It seems obvious to me that we need a RB and a DM that can compete with Kamara.

I think we should probably expect some of our top players to be tempted by other clubs. As long as we can get good money for them, I think we have to accept that as footballing reality. Replacing those players will be key.

Also, while we are 4th, we should be looking at Newcastle's best players. Guys like Isak and Bruno won't be happy to hang around mid-table. Cole Palmer too, although he will probably attract brighter lights than us.

I think we should probably expect some of our top players to be tempted by other clubs. As long as we can get good money for them, I think we have to accept that as footballing reality. Replacing those players will be key.

Also, while we are 4th, we should be looking at Newcastle's best players. Guys like Isak and Bruno won't be happy to hang around mid-table. Cole Palmer too, although he will probably attract brighter lights than us.
Newcastle would be looking for £100m for Isak, never going to happen

It's a real pitty that Pau isn't better defensively as he would be brilliant playing a sweeper role in Kamaras position.