The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 340 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that penalty order is correct that he walked round, if Grealish had asked to take one and doesn’t even make the top 8 choices and even has Pickford taking one, I don’t think anyone surely can claim it’s nothing personal with Jack. Absolutely crazy.

Phew just caught up with the thread.
My thoughts.....if you look at the squad, how many of them would you trust with a penalty? Hardly any IMO.

So we should have gone all in once extra time came. Chiesa had been subbed and we were in it again. But weirdly the late subs seem to indicate that Southgate had settled for pens. Did he watch these silly flamingo mating ritual run ups in training and think we were gonna walk the shoot out?

Well that went well.

If I am really honest unless Jack moves to one of the so called big clubs I think Southgate will entrench even further with his tried and trusted selections and Jack will be just a bit player.
He doesnt strike me as someone that learns a lesson from experiences, just thinks evrybody else has got it wrong.
Due to the media pressure about Jack in the lead up to the tournament coupled with Mount being unavailable, Southgate played him. Having MotM performances added to the pressure from the media for him to start matches. Southgate already had his core 13 players selected in his mind and nothing was going to change that - and guess what, those 13 were the majority of the selections.
Predictable line ups and perhaps a predictable outcome.

Yes, true, it is part of football, can't argue. I just always think there is an element of 'luck' as to which way the keeper leaps etc, and there is extreme one on one pressure, which for some, I guess, as they play in a team game, is unusual.

But the penalties, if practised, should have been taken far better than the nonsense especially of Rashfords.
The irony of Rashford's penalty is that at Manure they must practice for hours taking penalties due to the fact that they get at least one every game. Copying Penandes last night didn't come off.

My first ever visit to Villa Park was in 1963 and he had moved across the city to Blues by then.
Stan the Wham, didn't fanny about just thumped the ball and lm certain some keepers took care to avoid the ball. Remember a game at St Andrews when we beat the Blues 2-0. Harry Burrows,our left wing was marked by Stan, and l mean literally. Harry was no mug and certainly hugged the touchline. We were 2 up by half time with goals by Harry and Ron Wylie. Comfortable second half.

He couldn't even get a brilliant Italy side to beat a supposedly shite England team in 120 minutes. Useless. ManciniOut!

Other people said they were brilliant. Not me . But they were better than us .

But beat us they did. Don't envy them having to try and break down a defensive 10.

But hey ho .
History books will record another tournament win for them.
History books will record another loss for loser England.

Stan the Wham, didn't fanny about just thumped the ball and lm certain some keepers took care to avoid the ball. Remember a game at St Andrews when we beat the Blues 2-0. Harry Burrows,our left wing was marked by Stan, and l mean literally. Harry was no mug and certainly hugged the touchline. We were 2 up by half time with goals by Harry and Ron Wylie. Comfortable second half.

Harry (whom I did see play) could hit the ball with a wallop too. In fact, he scored two on my debut day in a 3-0 win over Bolton Wanderers.

When Man Utd played Villarreal in the Europa league final, the penalties from both sides were largely class, but the Spanish side were even better. Top bins penalty after top bin penalty.

There’s been a few shoot outs over this tournament, and ours were the worst of the lot in terms of technique and result. Southgate brings on two players who haven’t kicked the ball, so not even a warm up whilst Saka is a bag of nerves which is completely understandable.

I’ve no doubt players put their hands up to take one in training, and equally we practice them. But are we dedicating 10 minutes at the end of training for it, rather than say a proper session where we watch videos of the opposition penalty takers, we analyse where Donnaruma has more success going to, and also the techniques to taking a penalty.

Apparently there is a book on taking the perfect penalty, and you never for example, start running on the whistle (as Mbappe did) for more chance of success.

I watch some sides and either through technique, training and a bit of luck, they give themselves a huge advantage. It’s much more than flip of a coin, as someone said in this thread a few days ago, you create your own luck. A top golfer would get more holes in one on a par 3 than you or I because they are more likely to land the ball on the green near the pin each time.

Last edited:
When Man Utd played Villarreal in the Europa league final, the penalties from both sides were largely class, but the Spanish side were even better. Top bins penalty after top bin penalty.

There’s been a few shoot outs over this tournament, and ours were the worst of the lot in terms of technique and result. Southgate brings on two players who haven’t kicked the ball, so not even a warm up whilst Saka is a bag of nerves which is completely understandable.

I’ve no doubt players put their hands up to take one in training, and equally we practice them. But are we dedicating 10 minutes at the end of training for it, rather than say a proper session where we watch videos of the opposition penalty takers, we analyse where Donnaruma has more success going to, and also the techniques to taking a penalty.

Apparently there is a book on taking the perfect penalty, and you never for example, start running on the whistle (as Mbappe did) for more chance of success.

I watch some sides and either through technique, training and a bit of luck, they give themselves a huge advantage. It’s much more than flip of a coin, as someone said in this thread a few days ago, you create your own luck. A top golfer would get more holes in one on a par 3 than your or I because they are more likely to land the ball on the green near the pin each time.

Yes I said earlier that it pretty much how we approached it for the play offs so were well prepared when it did come to penalties.

Also I reckon we made a mistake giving Kane the first one. Without looking I would think that the crucial penalties are either the 4th or 5th ones so you need your main man taking one of those. Again we did that with Tammy v Sandwell.

They were the best side in the tournament. I said that after the first few group stages !!!!

You will also confirm that I predicted a 1-1 draw and penalties last night as well won't you ?
Skint atm,Sir Dennis. Any tips for the 2-30 at Uttoxeter?

Well he's welcome by me and seemingly the majority of fans from what I'm reading in places other than this miserable forum.

And that’s absolutely fine. The majority of England fans are fan boys and girls who have jumped on the tournament band wagon and will now disappear off so their opinion doesn’t mean much to me.

But I am not miserable . I just don‘t rate him, don’t think he is as good as being made out. He is boring , his tactics and style bore me . He has wasted a glorious opportunity . I‘m bored of its coming home, I’m bored of glorious and inglorious failure. We lose, we accept failure and pat everyone on the back and give them plaudits.

We will not win a thing with Sir Gareth in charge . Absolutely convinced of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.