The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 338 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why I always have mixed feelings about England as a football team. I'm English. I naturally want them to win. But there is something very, very ugly about English nationalism. But, nationalism is pretty much always ugly, wherever.
Disagree with that wholeheartedly, there is nothing wrong with being proud of your country and flag, don’t blame normal everyday people for some neanderthals, I love to wear the colours of our flag, I’m proud to be British, I’m proud of what we did to fight off Europe’s biggest tyrant, I’m also proud of everyone of our armed forces who defend this great nation, and personally I couldn’t give a toss if the Europeans are happy we’ve left Europe or lost last night, it’s because of the great actions of our war heroes who fought for Queen & country that they are now able to have that opinion…

My best friend of 30 yrs is a Spaniard and he voted leave….that little piece of info doesn’t half blow those woke minds.

🇬🇧 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Last edited:
I've kept my powder dry for the past while. I don't like Southgate since he went to Boro. Not playing Jack, the best player in the PL, has wound me up no end. I still don't think he's a good manager despite getting to the final.

However, fair play to Southgate and the England squad. They got as close as you can possibly get without winning it. They got unlucky with the penalties, that's all.

The English fans and media always want a scapegoat. They are blaming Southgate, Saka, Grealish and Sterling for not taking one, boring tactics, and anything else they can think of. Over the next few days that narrative will crystallise into one scapegoat.

That scapegoating is unhelpful.

England got unlucky with the penalties, that's it. All that can be done now is congratulate the players on their successes, commiserate them on being unlucky and move on.

Lots of thing Southgate needs to do differently, be far more expansive for starters. You have one of the very best strikers in the world but he looked utterly average for most of the tournament due to a lack of a supply line. I obviously would say this but IMO build the team around Grealish, he makes things happen, key pass and assist against Germany, key pass for one of the goals against Denmark.

You need a lot more at this level, he has tried to emulate Greece in Euro 2004 but England have far more quality at its disposal.
If I am really honest unless Jack moves to one of the so called big clubs I think Southgate will entrench even further with his tried and trusted selections and Jack will be just a bit player.
He doesnt strike me as someone that learns a lesson from experiences, just thinks evrybody else has got it wrong.

Great start, Italy adjusted, England went into their shell rather than counter adjusting, tried to cling on from the 3rd minute, and then after half time retreated to their own 18 yard line rather than the pressing further up the field that worked well in the first half.

Southgate dithered, left the attacking talent on the bench and then got the penalty takers wrong. Stupid horse face twat.
Fair summery.

Feel so sorry for Saka.

Wasn‘t ready for the tournament, shouldn’t have been there . Shouldnt have been in that position last night.

He is a great prospect . Nothing more. To play for your country at that age and have that responsibility you need to be very very special. And we are talking Messi, Ronaldo special.

Appalling fan boy management from Sir Gareth.

I've kept my powder dry for the past while. I don't like Southgate since he went to Boro. Not playing Jack, the best player in the PL, has wound me up no end. I still don't think he's a good manager despite getting to the final.

However, fair play to Southgate and the England squad. They got as close as you can possibly get without winning it. They got unlucky with the penalties, that's all.

The English fans and media always want a scapegoat. They are blaming Southgate, Saka, Grealish and Sterling for not taking one, boring tactics, and anything else they can think of. Over the next few days that narrative will crystallise into one scapegoat.

That scapegoating is unhelpful.

England got unlucky with the penalties, that's it. All that can be done now is congratulate the players on their successes, commiserate them on being unlucky and move on.

Totally and utterly disagree with us being unlucky.
This poor us is why we lose continually.

So Italy were lucky twice over then?. Why is it other countries don’t have this bad luck with penalties?

This tournament has really highlighted what a disgrace England fans are, shocking scenes before and after the game. England should not be given an international tournament again for a very, very long time.

Disagree with that wholeheartedly, there is nothing wrong with being proud of your country and flag, don’t blame normal everyday people for some neanderthals, I love to wear the colours of our flag, I’m proud to be British, I’m proud of what we did to fight off Europe’s biggest tyrant, I’m also proud of everyone of our armed forces who defend this great nation, and personally I couldn’t give a toss if the Europeans are happy we’ve left Europe or lost last night, it’s because of the great actions of our war heroes who fought for Queen & country that they are now able to have that opinion…

My best friend of 30 yrs is a Spaniard and he voted leave….that little piece of info doesn’t half blow those woke minds.

🇬🇧 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Patriotism is fine. Nationalism (whether English, Irish, American or whatever) is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.