The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 273 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Southgate said about Jack after the game :

"He's fine - he understood, he was terrific when he came on he gave us momentum but we know when they've gone behind in games they've thrown four men up front so we needed to get an extra defender on just to make sure we were more solid and I wanted to keep Raheem's [Sterling] speed on so it meant taking one of the two boys off who had just come on."

So there we are😳

What Southgate said about Jack after the game :

"He's fine - he understood, he was terrific when he came on he gave us momentum but we know when they've gone behind in games they've thrown four men up front so we needed to get an extra defender on just to make sure we were more solid and I wanted to keep Raheem's [Sterling] speed on so it meant taking one of the two boys off who had just come on."

So there we are😳

Which is fine isn’t it ? . Because it worked and we are in the final.

Sterling's a fabulous player. Forget about the odd mis-hit; look at the ones he gets right. Think we should put in an offer.

A cracking game and I think Southgate got it spot on. We looked like a team not a group of players getting to know each other. Players took responsibility all over the pitch. We were a rock on which the Danes foundered; sweet revenge for them invading us in the 9th century :wahey:

I'm OK with Gareth these days. Hated it when he left us, but the truth was our prospects under Doug were dire. Plenty others have left since. Hopefully those days are over.

Think we could of taken it to them at 2-1 with Grealish on, but this is tournament football and Southgate has demons he needs to deal with. Bring on the next ....

Agree. Same result if SJ stayed on. And infact I do not believe that any of our results would have been different if SJ started every game. Which is the frustration for me because I think he has been hard done by in that respect.

What?.That we are in the final.
Weirdo.

Seriously people need to get a grip. If that was a villa manager subbing a sub to shut a game out and getting into an FA cup final or seeing a title winning game out he would be applauded.
What?.That we are in the final.
Weirdo.

Seriously people need to get a grip. If that was a villa manager subbing a sub to shut a game out and getting into an FA cup final or seeing a title winning game out he would be applauded.

So you agree with insulting Jack?

Get a grip. He made a tactical decision to get to a final. It wasn’t personal or designed to show SJ up. Jeez. Proper playground stuff this.

And for the record I’m massively disappointed for SJ as I think he is utter class but my point remains. It worked for Snoz.

In 1966 we won our one and only major international tournament. That was fantastic, but I was never happy with Ramsey's management, then or afterwards. He dined out on that result for far too long, and we endured a string of overcautious attempts at repeating it.

Southgate has been accused of being too defensive, but it's not the same. He uses the best attacking talents he's got, and our current side has an edge which helps cut through pretty tough opposition. He doesn't go gungho, and he shouldn't; defence matters. But I thought we were pretty good tonight.

Well done England, a wins a win. I have a strange emotional detachment to this side (sorry Fear), it was quite a relaxing final 15 mins for watching us hold out and play the ball about and kill the game, as Denmark were dead on their feet.

We played well, I didn’t think Denmark were that good after the hour mark - perhaps we made them look bad, but their legs went towards the latter half of the game.

Thought Sterling was very good, but had he had better technique he could’ve had a hat trick today. He isn’t overly popular on here, but I thought Kalvin Philips had another good game, whilst Declan Rice needs to be hauled off earlier in these games as he kills us going forward.

All this doesn’t count for much unless we beat Italy. My mate said he’s just chuffed to be in the final, but anything short of winning this for me given we finally meet a top side in the final, is a failure of some sort for me. That’s not negative, but I don’t think we’ll get a chance like this again, with such attacking talent whilst so many other sides are in transition.

England will perhaps never again have conducive circumstances like these to win and I feel they will finally do it despite Gareth.

Having slept on it here's my take on Jack Grealish and his situation with England.

1. Yes it is disappointing that he was subbed off last night but remember, should we go all the way he will have more than earned his winners medal. He almost single handedly dragged us through against Germany and helped us top the group with his assist V Czech Republic to get this more favorable side of the draw in the first place.
2. Remember he is still carrying an injury from the back end of last season. If this means he gets the rest he needs then it can only be a good thing for Villa and gives him more chance of making an impact in the final.
3. As others have mentioned this may give him an outlook as to what it would be like not being the main man if he was to join a team like Man City. Maybe this will give a fresh outlook on his future with us?

No matter what happens in the final I'm proud of our boys and thoroughly looking forward to the final!

Controversial, I thought Jack was coming infield too much rather than keep his position patiently and wait for the ball to then unlock something.

I can’t agree that Sterling was largely woeful though Mike. He’s been the player of our tournament and if it wasn’t for him, I think Southgate would be hounded out of a job. His finishing was poor, but he was threatening all game and it was his run which forced the own goal.

Sterling has been exciting. He and Jack look equally dangerous when they run with the ball. Jack was coming infield because I reckon he was itching to get the ball and that is due to the fact that he is naturally like that and at Villa he gets the ball all the time as the team's first preferred player to give the to. Moreover, given the limited amount of time he is given by Gareth due to "injury management", I am certain Jack wants to have as much of the ball as he can in games and constantly makes himself available to get the ball yet they mostly choose the wrong option. Lastly, if his sub last night was due to game management, I would thoroughly disagree as he should have taken Mount off who has done nothing of note in any of the games he has played in.

Status
Not open for further replies.