The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 114 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning muscat, good performance from your lot last night,some good football, and played for each other.
I think with England its not so much the team, its Southgate.
He is just not liked by many supporters, his club football was dour and his set up of the England team is equally safety first.
He has a lot of talent at his disposal but his insistence on setting up not lose makes for a very boring watch.
If it was sucessful, ok, but it isnt. As soon as we get to the tournament proper we go out, so would rather go out giving it a go.

Yeah fair points. Like the way Mancini has got Italy playing. Don't think I've ever seen them be so progressive. With some of the talent at England's disposal you'd certainly be better with a more positive manager. Even looking at the England bench last night made me envious. Only Robertson and Tierney from our side would get into the English team. Possibly Gilmour in a couple of years.

As for Scotland, they've made good progress under Clarke but lack of goals remains a big problem. Wish they'd started with last night's team against the Czechs. Anyway it's all down to Tuesday against Croatia. Death or glory.

Danny Murphy and myself were having a chat after the game...

what?

Oh alright, alright, I watched him on Match of the Day. He highlighted the work Mount did through the game. I concur. Good player, especially when there was so little effort from so many. Was he perfect? No. No one was though.

I am not bothered about the Euros and I suspect the majority of Villa fans feel the same

No, think that is a personal opinion, don't think you can speak for the majority on this one.

I'd love us to be taring up the Euros (and WC) but with a dullard manager, it is hard to see us doing so. But yes, I care for England in all tournaments.

This is looking like the set up. A slow moving car crash. In my claret and blue glasses I'd say the origin might be Southgate's refusal to pick Grealish. I can't see his purported competition for a place as anywhere near him. We then had the squad selection saga nonsense. Seems to me players just relieved to have made it to the finals after that gameshow. There seem to have been a lot of interviews....where I came from etc etc...as if they had all "made it". Not surprising as our most celebrated captain's "highlight" was a free kick against Greece in a qualifier. Now onto the games. 1-0 against a poor Croatia. Kane playing badly and tactics not helping. Lessons learned?....game 2 repeat the exercise. It will take the same sort of force from the players as was exerted on Bobby Robson at the world cup to turn things around. This looks like panning out more Fabio Capello

I've probably not seen enough of Mount but he strikes me as a decent solid player but little more than that. Gets a lot of hype but not sure he's as good as many make out? Not a bad player by any stretch but hardly a top quality one either.

I've probably not seen enough of Mount but he strikes me as a decent solid player but little more than that. Gets a lot of hype but not sure he's as good as many make out? Not a bad player by any stretch but hardly a top quality one either.

Wouldn't object to having him in our team I must say!

Speak for yourself! I’d love to see England actually win something post 66 and play well with exciting attacking football. Unfortunately Southgate, as decent a bloke as he is, is too defensive minded. He needs to let go of the safety first midfield selection and go for it against the Czechs or else we’ll be going home not having had a go.
I am old enough to remember 66 but since then England have flattered to deceive and this has much to do with the media picking the squad to include players from the big clubs. This often means duplication of player roles and unbalanced teams - this is not just a Southgate issue and many other managers have done similar.
What is the point of going to a tournament withoùt using the best players available? For example, Mings has had a number of good performances for England recently but as soon as Maguire is fit, he will be straight back in the side - all the pundits are saying that is the case.

We all know the problem is Southgate.

But if it's an English manager required for the England job, just who is available? Looking at the PL table for the season just finished, the top club with a full time English manager is....... Villa.

And there lies the problem. Unless the FA decide to go for a 'johnny foreigner' England could be stuck with Dean Smith. It could get worse, ten points behind is old potato head himself, Steve Bruce.

If English managers were an animal, they'd be very close to extinct..... which they are in top flight football.
Get in Eddie Howe at least he knows how to set up a team to attack

Thought Mount was one of our better performers last night although admittedly from a pretty low base comparing him to some of the others. Two holding midfielders against a team like Scotland despite having so many other more positive options at his disposal just serves to reinforce the negative mindset of Southgate. With the talent we’ve got we shouldn’t be sitting here today trying to remember what we created last night…we should be playing with tempo, flair and purpose. Last night we saw more of that from bloody Scotland! Only positive with claret n blue specs on was the performances of Mings and McGinn. Good at least to be able to watch international games over the past 12 months with Villa being represented for the first time in what seems like an eternity! 12 international games for Mings, 11 clean sheets…not a bad effort whatever the opposition…..cue Harry Maguire getting the nod at the expense of Mings on Tuesday…..:slap:

Thought Mount was one of our better performers last night although admittedly from a pretty low base comparing him to some of the others. Two holding midfielders against a team like Scotland despite having so many other more positive options at his disposal just serves to reinforce the negative mindset of Southgate. With the talent we’ve got we shouldn’t be sitting here today trying to remember what we created last night…we should be playing with tempo, flair and purpose. Last night we saw more of that from bloody Scotland! Only positive with claret n blue specs on was the performances of Mings and McGinn. Good at least to be able to watch international games over the past 12 months with Villa being represented for the first time in what seems like an eternity! 12 international games for Mings, 11 clean sheets…not a bad effort whatever the opposition…..cue Harry Maguire getting the nod at the expense of Mings on Tuesday…..:slap:

What Gareth has his favourites regardless of form etc?

Who'd have thought it:fish:

Kane runs his legs into the ground carrying Spurs. I was at France in 2016, and in the flesh he looked fucked to me. Whenever he’s fit, he plays for Spurs. He must play 45+ games a season if he’s not injured.

He’s also pressing a back 4 on his own, and after 75 mins when Scotland look like the superior team playing walking football at the back is just embarrassing

Kane runs his legs into the ground carrying Spurs. I was at France in 2016, and in the flesh he looked fucked to me. Whenever he’s fit, he plays for Spurs. He must play 45+ games a season if he’s not injured.

He’s also pressing a back 4 on his own, and after 75 mins when Scotland look like the superior team playing walking football at the back is just embarrassing
One would think that if you have one of the very best forwards in the world in your team then you'd set up to get the best out of him.

Mount was awful. Woeful set pieces .

France playing with an attacking left back hitting the bi line and swinging balls into Mbappe. What a great idea for Mr Pinocchio

Status
Not open for further replies.